Realistically, How good is PTMP + MPTK's Beat Detective?

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
I currently edit drums by hand, and as anyone who's tried this in Cubase knows, it can take forever (don't suggest the nashville method... I know that and use it as well, but still prefer hit-by-hit for the most part). I'm looking to snag a 2626 and get PTMP, just to finally be able to run/learn the software and get going in that aspect, but I was also planning on grabbing the MPTK and start using Beat Detective.

I don't want a thread discussing M-Powered's benefits or shortfalls, just looking to see, realistically, how powerful is the multi-track Beat Detective in the toolkit? Is it on par with it's HD counterpart? I'd like to know if I'll get much use out of it before I drop an extra $400 I may not need to spend!

As far as I'm aware BD with the toolkit is the same as BD in Pro tools HD, I could be wrong though. Even if it's not multitrack beat detective is awesome, doing drum edits with only single track beat detective is a pain in the ass...

With mptk it's the same as HD. It's fucking awesome.
With a good drummer I can do a song In about 20 minutes .
If your getting the mptk, maybe you should consider a switch.... Worth a thought either way. If ya just wanna edit with it, fair enough there's none better, Im well aware of the reasons why you may be reluctant. But I make a living recording in le and couldn't be happier.......... Well HD would be nice, but I'm holding on to see what digi does when snow leopard comes out before making the plunge

Ah sweet guys, thanks - will be snagging that ASAP.

If your getting the mptk, maybe you should consider a switch.... Worth a thought either way. If ya just wanna edit with it, fair enough there's none better, Im well aware of the reasons why you may be reluctant.

My current plan is to start editing in PT (currently track in Cubase) and get comfortable with the software, then eventually switch to tracking in PT. I think I'll always rely on Cubase's drum maps for composing, but there's nothing else about it that I'd die if I lost.