really good 2 input interface?

departed

Jan 2, 2010
London, UK
due to some really annoying circumstances, the room i used to record and mix is no longer an option, leaving me with no point in buying an 8+ input interface as from now on i only have space to map drums. I'm selling my drum kit and the money i get i've decided to invest in a really good quality interface.

so my question is:

any reccomendations for a 2 input interface? it'd be around the $700-850 range. something with really nice pre-amps etc, preferably firewire.

hopefully someone has some really good reccomendations that might cheer me up as i'm awfully downbeat about my recording room being taken over :cry:

Hear good things about the Apogee Duet however its mac only so if you're on pc, that rules that one out. Goes for $500. You could save up a couple bucks more and find a fireface 400 used maybe. I know you said drums aren't an option now but this would at least give you a solid ad/da as well as ADAT to be able to add 8-channels later on. Has 2 preamps to start with tho. The Duet is limited as far as expanability and the ff400 is pc/mac. Personally, I was in this boat 2 years ago and I bought a Metric Halo uln-2. This cost much more than the ff400 and comparing it now to the profire 2626 I have that replaced it, I don't see a difference that the better convertors and clock offered from the Metric Halo. I wish I had saved the money on shit that mattered.

If you are going for a ~$850 range, why not spend $50 more and get an M-Audio Profire 2626 that will satisfy your needs for a long time to come?

Is there a release date for the babyface ? I am thinking of getting a Duet in the very near future, but if the babyface has comparable pres, price and it is release soon enough, i might jump at it.

Man im on the same boat now!

Everything seems so simple as i wanted to get an apogee duet, but after all ill have to work on windows..

I just cant find anything in that price range that offers the same quality :mad:

Do you guys think the rme babyface will measure up to the apogee?? (sucks its only USB tho)

Oh and how do you think both of these compare to the saffire pro 40?

Sorry lots of questions i know :popcorn:

I owned an apogee ensemble for 1 year. Because of this pc and mac dilemna now I'm using an echo audiofire2 and I'm not recording worse. Try it. maybe Less confort ( bit latency bla bla) but not less sound quality.

man, why usb? how low will the latency setting be able to go?

hm, can it not take SPDIF in coaxial? says optical only

I still use the RME 9632 and love it. no problems with it at all. supports buffer size down to 32 samples...