Reamping and active electronics

deLuther

Aug 2, 2007
Russia
Because of some cases when level after reamper is insufficient
I think that maybe we need some comparison between different reamp boxes in relation to level drop?
I did simple loopback test with my Radial ProRMP:
First I plugged unbalanced cable between output and input of my audio interface (ESI Juli@) and got reducing in level of -5.5db using sine test tone at 0db DFS.
Then I plugged ProRMP and with trim pot at maximum got -11.3 db drop (DFS).
So if guitar output is hotter than -11.3 I will need additional amplification after interface.
With my Caparsion (older one with active circuit) I can get level around -7db (DFS, without preamplification) so I can`t recreate initial level without outboard amplification. And what with EMGs?

So it interesting to know about other reampers - Radial X-Amp (I suppose that it is have same level drop), Reamp and Little Labs Red Eye.
Can someone perform similar loopback test?

didn't do a loopbacktest with sine wave or something, but as stated in older threads, i think there is a signal drop with (after) the x-amp, as well.
how much? - i don't know, but it's enough that i have to regain the level after the x-amp with a booster, otherwise the amp reacts differently to a direct guitar.

I made this topic do discuss exact quantity of this drop (I saw topics mentioned) - i.e. take engineering aproach to problem :)
I did not have any problems with my guitars (I do not use boost on caparison) when determined how level is changing.
With my Charvel Fusion Plus (entirely passive) I get -20db at maximum so when I reamp DI-track (recorded around -3db with instrument preamp) level is more than enough.