Reamping Guitars, Fixing DI Tracks, And Other Guitar Related Stuff....

C_F_H_13

Protools Guru
Mar 21, 2006
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
This weekend I'm going to try the old reamping guitars thing for a project I'm working on right now. The amp I used to record was good enough (JCM 900)...but now I want to layer/replace alot of the guitars with my JCM800, and a Diezel I'm borrowing. I had a couple of questions in regards to this whole thing...as it seems to be pretty popular around here.

1. I have a whole section of the song where the guitar players guitar just wouldn't stay in tune on these long held out chords. No matter how many retakes it was always out at leas 20 cents or more. I got the idea to try and use melodyne to tune the DI tracks, then try reamping them? Anyone have any luck with this? I wanted to ask before I started and wasted alot of time on something that doesn't work.

2. When you guys reamp guitars, do you always leave all the sounds ballz out, or do you as an example, layer a set of tracks that's just the low end from one amp, and combine that with a thinner one??

As I said, my time to work in the studio is a little limited, so I want to really go in there with a game plan.

Thanks in advance!

melodyne can do a surprising ammount to fix fucked intonation!!, although ive only used it on bass so far! but i think you should at least try it on guitar!
let me know how it goes!!

How you blend the guitars is up to you - it just depends on which bits of which amps you like. If you do just use one main area from each setup, just remember to check on how the eq for each one overlaps so you don't end up boosting the same are three times.

Steve