REAPER 5 dropped today

I just installed the new version, it's probably pretty stable since I didn't have any issues with the beta version I tried some time ago (and they did countless revisions on the 5 beta...) There's lots of pretty cool new updates on the new version, including some updates on the default GUI-skins, improved video support, the added VST3-compability and the rest of the stuff that's written in the changelog.

I'm pretty much pro-Reaper guy though, so don't take my word for it. I'll have to test it a lot myself before I can really give any serious verdicts on this, but it looks pretty promising so far :kickass:.

I've been running the release candidates all along and they've been fairly stable.

Only thing that annoyed me was that my licence is no longer valid :(. That was 60 bucks I wasn't planning on spending, oh je.

Yeah, but you got all updates of 3 and 4 for your first $60, right?

3.0 – May 22, 2009
4.0 – August 3, 2011
5.0 – August 12, 2015

Even if you bought 3.0 right before 4.0 came out in 2011, your license was good for at least 4 years. (Still is of course, but moving forward you'd probably want to upgrade for some of the new features in 5.0. If you don't need them, you can always stick with 4.78.)

Liking it so far but that's mainly aesthetics since I've used it for maybe an hour. It's running all my project files just fine. I like how they made the transport buttons larger, maybe now I'll stop hitting the "skip to the end of the project" button instead of "stop" all the time.

It's a good update but an option for playlist style comping is the only thing I really want as a New feature. I hate with a fiery rage looking at and editing takes especially multi tracked drums. Can't believe they have kept the current system for so long it's basically unusable for any instrument that is multi tracked .

I paid for my copy forever ago, I have no clue when it expires.
Do you have to pay for this or does it still have the free trial for non license users?

Hey FarBeyondMetal if you have the multitracked items grouped there is an action to go to next and previous take and it will cycle the grouped items. I'm not sure what it is by default but i have next take as T and prev take as Shift+T. i find that easier than other daws.

Infectdsniper, I've tried many solutions including the one you mention, but when you are punching in and the parts aren't exactly the same length as the previous parts it becomes this mosaic looking mess and is just a hassle to deal with. Only solution is punching the exact same length every time then it becomes easier to deal with but sometimes its just not reasonable to do that.

Why not just hit ctrl+l to hide the takes besides the one you're selecting for the comp? But I suppose that is true. I don't really comp anything besides vocals since everything else is just easier to track until each section is right, so I probably don't fully understand your woes :p

I paid for my copy forever ago, I have no clue when it expires.
Do you have to pay for this or does it still have the free trial for non license users?

If you bought 4.0, you're entitled to a free upgrade to 5.0 (all the way up to version 5.99). If you bought 3.0, you got a upgrade to 4.0 but then your license doesn't extend any farther than version 4.99.

Yes, you can still use it with a nag screen if your license doesn't cover 5.0

Nobody should EVER be complaining about having to pay an upgrade to a newer version of Reaper. Those guys are amazing and it's so cheap. If I didn't absolutely HAVE to use Pro Tools (and pay HUNDREDS of dollars to upgrade to newer versions) Id give Reaper a go.

Hey, dunno if it's been posted already but here's a good interview with the guy who created Reaper

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, dunno if it's been posted already but here's a good interview with the guy who created Reaper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfaQrOeb_F0

interesting! thanks for sharing. i've been using Reaper for over 7 years and never even saw a picture of Justin. seems like a cool dude, and fits right in the with the Reaper "motif". he use to post over on Reaper, but since i don't hang out over there much anymore, not sure if he does anymore. reminds me of the guy who started Napster...