Reaper.....how

John_C

formerly Skeksis268
Dec 30, 2008
Coventry, UK
www.myspace.com
How is reaper so damn fast..........it seems to have so little latency compared to sonar, and thats just with my crappy inbuilt laptop audio.

Also, the 3.5MB installer, how on earth did they manage that?

Is there any good reason why i shouldn't just scrap sonar and go with reaper? (other than the graphics :puke:)

thanks

The MIDI features in Reaper are still somewhat behind big DAWs. I'm sure that will be fixed with time, but not anytime soon. Maybe by version 3.x or 4.x.

Also, the 3.5MB installer, how on earth did they manage that?

A better question would be, how on earth the big manufacturers manage to make their DAWs take several hundred megabytes :zombie: It's not like they are so complex, code-wise. My guess is that most of the size goes into copy protection measures, because even a 10 MB program is FUCKING COLOSSAL in terms of code. 10 MB = About 2220 full pages of A4.

reaper is new and isn't built upon legacy code from the lates 80's - early 90's.

And the coders know what they are doing!

+1. It's a known fact that Justin is a ridiculously fast & efficient coder.

If you don't find the graphics to your taste, perhaps you should try some skins, but IMO the new alpha versions of Reaper (not as stable) look much better!

http://stashbox.org/364619/Editing Drums.png <-- Reaper 2.99 Alpha Preview 8 (OS X)

yeah it does seem like a brilliant program, however the user interface leaves a bit to be desired i feel. Plus its not exactly packed full of features as far as i can tell so far........
As far as UI goes i've never found anything better than soundscape, very old, but VERY well designed

What features are you missing? It has quite a lot of features, don't let its interface or filesize fool you!
Hell, PT LE doesn't even have ADC/PDC! Reaper can also automagically build the routing for any muti-out VSTi I use. Saving entire guitar fx-chains is a huge plus!
The routing matrix is second to none IMO!

ADC/PDC????

having messed around with it a bit more, i think i'm sold :)

i'll load up the drum tracks i recorded at the weekend and have a go at editing them.........not having a split tool for the mouse pointer is going to make it a bit slow though i think.

Dude...for looks, just download a theme from their Resources section...they have quite a few user-created themes that look great. I just downloaded and installed Reaper for OSX last night and a few themes. The default one is awful.

I'm anxious to check it out, I noticed it had a pitch correction plug-in and this band I'm working with now needs it on the vox like nobody's business, so I'll be abusing it ASAP.

I did notice that apTrigga and digital fish phones plugs do not show up in Reaper Beta for OSX. I can switch to the non-GUI version, which is fine for DFP but with apTrigga you need the GUI to load samples! :lol:

~006

ADC/PDC????
Automatic Delay Compensation/Plugin Delay Compensation

having messed around with it a bit more, i think i'm sold :)
Glad to hear, there's plenty of Reaper users here always willing to help. The Cockos forums are a great resource and there's a big ass manual available on the Reaper website.

i'll load up the drum tracks i recorded at the weekend and have a go at editing them.........not having a split tool for the mouse pointer is going to make it a bit slow though i think.
Well here's another great thing about Reaper - macros.
I created a macro that split muliple tracks at the mouse pointer whenever I hit 'H' on the keyboard (drum editing). I'm in work at the moment, but will upload the actions required for this macro later tonight. In the meantime, you might find a suitable macro on the Reaper forums.
Let me know how you get on!

I did notice that apTrigga and digital fish phones plugs do not show up in Reaper Beta for OSX. I can switch to the non-GUI version, which is fine for DFP but with apTrigga you need the GUI to load samples! :lol:
~006

I use aptrigga2 in OSX with no problems, version 2.54, 2.55, 2.99 alpha and 3.alpha.

digitaldeath: lucky for you...the GUI doesn't load for me... OSX 10.4.11, whatever the latest Reaper OSX beta is (d/l'ed last night).

~006

digitaldeath: lucky for you...the GUI doesn't load for me... OSX 10.4.11, whatever the latest Reaper OSX beta is (d/l'ed last night).

~006

Hmmm, that is strange...
I primarily choose VST over AU when using Reaper on OS X. I'm not at my home computer at the moment, but see if there's a VST version of the plugin when you go to add it to a track and use the VST instead.

PowerMac G5 dual 2.0 (PPC not Intel). Most likely a 10.4 issue with Reaper. I'm not worried about it as I use Cubase for everything anyway. But I downloaded Reaper to dick with and have something else to use "just in case." I don't plan on abandoning Cubase any time soon... just kinda gay that apTrigga's GUI doesn't show in whatever I got last night.

~006

i'm missing quite a few GUIs as well........seems that reaper comes with all the stillwell plugs? but not as VST or Dx but JS, whatever that is. No GUIs for any of them though.

i'm missing quite a few GUIs as well........seems that reaper comes with all the stillwell plugs? but not as VST or Dx but JS, whatever that is. No GUIs for any of them though.

This is not a problem with Reaper, all JS plugins are like that. It's not like you've to use a terminal, strictly speaking they do have a GUI - you wouldn't be able to adjust the sliders if it didn't! :p
Don't let Reaper's seemingly simple plugins fool you, they are in fact quite powerful!

i am starting to like reaper a lot now.......the basic plugins are very usefull, you're right

not being able to click and drag to select multiple clips is a pain though