Reasons to Love DT

stizzleomnibus

Decisively Human
Feb 2, 2008
The Void
While I'm sure we could, and someone probably should, write a book on this subject, I'm going to start with one thing that I really love about this band.

One of the high points of musicianship occurs when a musician's hands and instrument fade into an ethereal link between his brain and the actual sound that he is producing. There is no effort to remember a riff, and there is no concentration spent on forcing his hands to play; he focuses solely on creating the sound perfectly.

I will probably never get over The New Build. The best place to hear the riff that I have in mind is at 2:18. It appears elsewhere, but the composition is stripped down here to expose it. The actual texture of the guitar is so abrasive that the only thing that makes it palatable is the speed of the picking and the constant muting. At the same time, that energy emerges every time the pitch shifts, but only long enough for the un-muted tone to register, to be cut off immediately. I find the effect mind blowing, like he's trying to control some force that erupts every time he gives it even the slightest bit of slack, without ever actually escaping his grip.

I point this passage out simply because it is an example of how lethally precise this band can be. Obviously, we've all heard astonishingly precise metal; the thing is, that precision is usually in synchronizing an entire ensemble. What makes DT stand out, though, is the sheer polish applied to each and every sound on an album. [/tirade]

11978618198441.gif

Sure, their music is ok. But the real reason for loving them is that they look hot. :Smug:

To spin off of heavy metal's comment: as much is this band is known for their melodic prowess, you have to love the moments in songs where they just drop melody altogether and just grind. Most of the time, they do this as a way of building tension before exploding back into a melodic section. Examples:

The New Build (2:36)
Final Resistance (0:16)
The Lesser Faith (0:42)

I can't really find an example prior to Damage Done, from memory or from a cursory perusal of their discography. Let me know if you find one.

Special mention goes to Mind Matters. The section beginning at 1:20 is one of my favorites. The brief solo riff (A) is clearly syncopated, but it doesn't sound enormously impressive at first. Once the other guitar cuts in (B), we get a blissful moment of the above mentioned grinding. This riff (B) is a very simple rhythm, as it conforms directly to the quarter notes of the drums. Once the original riff (A) joins this one, you realize how complex riff A really is. Each of the syncopated notes is actually one of the gaps from riff B, and since riff B takes all of the basic notes from the meter, riff A is basically outside of the rhythm.

Basically, whoever gets stuck with riff A is tasked with keeping time with the rest of the band, without ever being allowed to touch their actual rhythm. That probably won't make sense to anyone else.

If you try to move your head to the accents in riff A when it plays alone, you get one rhythm, a very interesting one. If you do the same for riff B, you make much hardcore thrashing, but in a very basic fashion. If you try to move your head to both when they play together, you break your neck. You'll appreciate the rapid interchange that comes forward when they're played in unison, though, before you die.

I think it would be easier to write the reasons to hate them,
the only one I can think of is that they are Swedish :D

Dark Tranquillity Vodka, now that's a thought

They should pull a Maynard James Keenan (in before anything about Tool sucking, because this is unfortunately not about that) and purchase/run a vineyard. Except vodka. Mmm.

I love DT because they're the only band that still gives me goosebumps during my favorite parts of songs, even though I know they're coming and know what they sound like even before I hear it.

Also the only band I can keep listening to without getting bored. That's impressive.

You, know, I actually spent my entire day at work today running through their entire discography twice. It really never does seem to get old.

I see what you mean.

My example would be submitting one of the interludes of The Dividing Line at around 2:24. It sounds pretty simple to play but is not that simple if you actually attempt to play it with a few people. You jump between counter point harmony to in synch harmony through the passage, that is something that is highly difficult for most people, even with a good sense of rhythm, to grasp.