Recent pic

this is a great interview but Joey barely gets a word in

Sadly I think that has happened a lot over the years. I've always been interested in what Joey's had to say but he never seem to get a great chance. I've got an interview (on cassette) from Anthrax's first tour of Oz back in the 90's, it was done by an acquaintance for the radio and you can hear Ian talking over the whole band when questions are asked. It's not overly rude, he kind of just appears to have the loudest voice, but it does mean no one else gets the chance to talk.

but he didnt have to do that in his book.

Or he did it because more people were talking about it and it was getting harder to continually deny so doing it in his book meant he did it on his terms. KK pretty much did the same in his book, pretend to own the mistakes while kicking everyone else for making it. Ian may not be as big on BS as KK but over the years he's definitely shown the arrogance factor KK possesses.

Yes think Joey compared to Dave Mustaine or Tom Araya, Joey had more melodic style seems like Anthrax were embarrassed by him and im not sure why
I don't know why they didn't just ask him to sing a little less. It's beyond me. They didn't seem to have a problem telling people what to do. I mean they were damn big and on fire after POT and they didn't even give Joey a chance. Just out the door.

Scott Ians's book Im the man is a good read, even if you aint too fond of him he takes ownership and wasn't a very happy guy from sown till Volume,alot of things were going from bad to worse and joey waa the fall guy,looking back he pretty much says he was wrong to get rid of Joey,probably means less after its all said and done but he didnt have to do that in his book.
I have read that but it's been a long time. If he did That Metal Show after the book came out then it's meaningless. Because he was still calling Joey a bird then.

I don't know why they didn't just ask him to sing a little less. It's beyond me. They didn't seem to have a problem telling people what to do. I mean they were damn big and on fire after POT and they didn't even give Joey a chance. Just out the door.

I think that was what surprised me the most. Euphoria made quite a few inroads for the band but POT shattered those roads and put them on a new path, yet they decided to break up what was their most successful line up. If Joey had wanted to leave, sorta like Bruce did with Maiden, it would be a little easier to understand but being kicked out, asked to leave, shown the door, whatever the term was just seemed weird.

It was around 2 years ago that Chuckles and Ian started talking about writing a new album. They continually used words like aggressive, hard, and other descriptive words, many of which other bands were also using for their own albums. Chuckles more than a few times mentioned they were in the studio and recording, even Frankie mentioned the new songs. They might never have promised a release date but they have been talking about and promising something for what is close to 2 years.

Reactions: redfly
It was around 2 years ago that Chuckles and Ian started talking about writing a new album. They continually used words like aggressive, hard, and other descriptive words, many of which other bands were also using for their own albums. Chuckles more than a few times mentioned they were in the studio and recording, even Frankie mentioned the new songs. They might never have promised a release date but they have been talking about and promising something for what is close to 2 years.
If you know anthrax they take years just to write a record,be very lucky to be out late next year.

The time frame between records had nothing to do with the comment. The comment was related to the BS Chuckles and Ian, then Frank laid down in the media about the new album more than 2 years ago that hasn't come to fruition.

At the same time as Megadave started talking about a new album and how good it was sounding, then released nothing but a compilation, Chuckles and Ian started throwing buzz words at the media about the new album. Frank then got in to it as his album with Jnr approached and those doing the interviews talked about Anthrax instead of A&A. At the height of this buzzword campaign Anthrax interviews were appearing at a rate of several per week and whenever the new album came up the same buzz words got marched out, yet the band never offered any evidence of these aggressive and hard songs they supposedly had. Damn, even Megadave released videos from the studio to show he was at least writing music, even if he was busy working on a best of album. Now two years on they are barely talking about the new album, even the media who don't seem to understand how to interview people today have nearly given up asking about it.

Sure they have been on tours and they released that pointless single with a 30 yr old song and a cover that they don't even do that great, a few weeks back but they have offered nothing of this aggressive and hard hitting sound they claimed to have started recording 2 years ago. They aren't even trying out new songs in their sets, although that seems mostly because they don't change their set.

I don't really care if a band takes two of three years to record, plenty of them do, but to talk up what your doing like it's something special, then not even offer fans a snifter of this great stuff is not pro-active.

The time frame between records had nothing to do with the comment. The comment was related to the BS Chuckles and Ian, then Frank laid down in the media about the new album more than 2 years ago that hasn't come to fruition.

At the same time as Megadave started talking about a new album and how good it was sounding, then released nothing but a compilation, Chuckles and Ian started throwing buzz words at the media about the new album. Frank then got in to it as his album with Jnr approached and those doing the interviews talked about Anthrax instead of A&A. At the height of this buzzword campaign Anthrax interviews were appearing at a rate of several per week and whenever the new album came up the same buzz words got marched out, yet the band never offered any evidence of these aggressive and hard songs they supposedly had. Damn, even Megadave released videos from the studio to show he was at least writing music, even if he was busy working on a best of album. Now two years on they are barely talking about the new album, even the media who don't seem to understand how to interview people today have nearly given up asking about it.

Sure they have been on tours and they released that pointless single with a 30 yr old song and a cover that they don't even do that great, a few weeks back but they have offered nothing of this aggressive and hard hitting sound they claimed to have started recording 2 years ago. They aren't even trying out new songs in their sets, although that seems mostly because they don't change their set.

I don't really care if a band takes two of three years to record, plenty of them do, but to talk up what your doing like it's something special, then not even offer fans a snifter of this great stuff is not pro-active.
thats what anthrax do, there was never supposed to be a massive wait for worship music either but even anthrax admit once the big four shows were in the works they hurried to have in finished, these guys are not in. a rush, they have not changed

thats what anthrax do, there was never supposed to be a massive wait for worship music either but even anthrax admit once the big four shows were in the works they hurried to have in finished, these guys are not in. a rush, they have not changed

Did you read what I said?
Time frame is not the issue, it's the way the band, mainly Chuckles and Ian, have carried themselves in the media and the shit they have talked. And that was in response to other comments about Chuckles and Ian not being the spokespeople for the band they might have once been.

To be fair they have been on tours with slayer that would probably hold
Them up longer than normal,anthrax being on support slots does limit the set list unfortunately.

I think their lack of change in the set is like so many other bands, they get lazy and used the playing same songs, Testament are the same, shit even we were the same back in the 90's and we didn't have half the catalogue these bands have.

However I do see a connection between being on tour and the crap sprouted by the band. They get interviewed more and the skill of the interviewers is often lacking these days, therefore the quality of the questions and overall interviews diminish. I know Anthrax aren't the only band to suffer from it and bands need to start holding these idiot interviewers to account when they ask the same old rehashed questions or the same ridiculous crap just to get headlines. The bands need to refuse answers, not think of new ways to answer the same shit.

Obviously interviews, even video interviews, can be cut and edited to change the way people look but Ian is really bad for overspeaking in interview and not great at off the cuff answers. Chuckles has his moments, although he's not as bad, while Frank usually conducts a very good interview. Frankie should be their spokesman or Ian and Chuckles need to pre-approve all the questions they get asked just like politicians do so they don't say anything silly or contradictory.

Well it was charlie and ian writing very wordy lyrics he struggled to get those lyrics out

Reactions: redfly and Slammed
I think that was what surprised me the most. Euphoria made quite a few inroads for the band but POT shattered those roads and put them on a new path, yet they decided to break up what was their most successful line up. If Joey had wanted to leave, sorta like Bruce did with Maiden, it would be a little easier to understand but being kicked out, asked to leave, shown the door, whatever the term was just seemed weird.

Yes even Anthrax managers didn't understand it either they tried to talk Ian out of kicking Joey out.

Reactions: redfly and Slammed
The lyrics were far from Dark Angel type complex, but the difference between SOE and POT lyric wise is a huge. Not taking anything away from the earlier albums because many of the songs were fun, but lyric wise comparing those earlier songs to POT it was like they'd suddenly discovered a dictionary and wanted to use all the words they'd read.

Well it was charlie and ian writing very wordy lyrics he struggled to get those lyrics out
I think anyone one would have trouble with many of Scott and Charlie's lyrics. Especially on POT. They are actually talented lyricists but they aren't singers and just because you're good with words doesn't mean you know how that translates to an actual singer who is trying to fit them into the context of a catchy song. I don't think the lyrics they had on the Bush albums were nearly as challenging.
More straight forward to match the music.

I think their lack of change in the set is like so many other bands, they get lazy and used the playing same songs, Testament are the same, shit even we were the same back in the 90's and we didn't have half the catalogue these bands have.

However I do see a connection between being on tour and the crap sprouted by the band. They get interviewed more and the skill of the interviewers is often lacking these days, therefore the quality of the questions and overall interviews diminish. I know Anthrax aren't the only band to suffer from it and bands need to start holding these idiot interviewers to account when they ask the same old rehashed questions or the same ridiculous crap just to get headlines. The bands need to refuse answers, not think of new ways to answer the same shit.

Obviously interviews, even video interviews, can be cut and edited to change the way people look but Ian is really bad for overspeaking in interview and not great at off the cuff answers. Chuckles has his moments, although he's not as bad, while Frank usually conducts a very good interview. Frankie should be their spokesman or Ian and Chuckles need to pre-approve all the questions they get asked just like politicians do so they don't say anything silly or contradictory.
More Frankie!

I think anyone one would have trouble with many of Scott and Charlie's lyrics. Especially on POT. They are actually talented lyricists but they aren't singers and just because you're good with words doesn't mean you know how that translates to an actual singer who is trying to fit them into the context of a catchy song. I don't think the lyrics they had on the Bush albums were nearly as challenging.
More straight forward to match the music.

Yes same struggle Bruce had with Iron Maiden especially with Somewhere in Time album, Alexander the Great that had to be tough to sing