Recommend books to read.

Fyodor Dostoevski - The Brothers Karamazov
Alexandre Dumas - The Three Musketeers
John Steinbeck - Of Mice and Men

All three different styles, all three amazing novels.

Terry Pratchett !

I recently read the book "The Road". I didn't like the way it's written in the beginning, but loved it once I dived in it.

Terry Pratchett may be my favorite author - the entire Discworld series is extremely enjoyable read indeed. You can never go wrong with a world being carried around the universe on the backs of four elephants, themselves on the back of a giant Star turtle named the Great A'Tuin. :)

Yep, I love his tone, although a few of the novels are not as good as the others, I remember I couldn't finish the one that is about a witch. They are so different anyway, I had to find a few ones I wouldn't like !

I particularly adore the Death character. He brought me so many laughs, I love his sarcasm. Pretchett's sense of humour is tremendous !

Do you guys enjoy Discworld even now? I've read it up to the 30th (or so) book and nothing could bother me to read on. It seemed to me that Pratchett is very much recycling old ideas and jokes. But I might be wrong and the following ones are as good as any other.

Too bad Pratchett is suffering from Alzheimer's disease and he's been unable to read or write for a while. He is now dictating his new books and articles.

Do you guys enjoy Discworld even now? I've read it up to the 30th (or so) book and nothing could bother me to read on. It seemed to me that Pratchett is very much recycling old ideas and jokes. But I might be wrong and the following ones are as good as any other.

Too bad Pratchett is suffering from Alzheimer's disease and he's been unable to read or write for a while. He is now dictating his new books and articles.

There's a shift in the way he's writing starting around The Truth and Thief of Time, where he's concentrating more on development and longer story archs, than on quick slap-stick setups (as it were). I think he said so himself in an interview somewhere.

I do enjoy his work and will continue to buy the books as long as he makes them. I almost lost faith around The Last Continent / Carpe Jugulum (which I consider his weakest) but he's picked up considerably from there.

Actually, The Truth and Thief of Time were among the absolute best he's ever written IMHO, but the ones that disappointed me must have been some later ones. I don't re-read many books (there are ever so many that I haven't read even once!), but if I do re-read something by Pratchett, these two are definitely the first choices.

Another book I highly recommend (in particular my American friends) is Dr. Lawrence Lessig's great new book "Republic, Lost: How Money Corrupts Congress – and a Plan to Stop It".

You can read an excerpt over at RollingStone.com: http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...-lessig-on-how-we-lost-our-democracy-20111005

I've never been particularly political in the sense that I never got into heated debates over my values, the things I look for in the people I vote for, things like that, but over the past year I've become somewhat obsessed with my representation (or lack there of) and how money has co-opted it. How somehow corporations became people and money equaled free speech seemed at odds with a representation of the people, for the people. I firmly believe we are at the point where it is neither a right nor left issue, but one that equally effects us all despite our political leanings.

Generally I would not advocate any political "opinion" in open company, but it truly is an informative read.

I just finished reading The Hunger Games trilogy in anticipation of the movie(s)... really great story and relatable characters (for me, anyway).

It really depends on what you're into. Hunger Games is classified as "Young Adult" and isn't a difficult read at all.

I tend to like dystopian fiction anyway just because of how ready I am for great change.

is anyone here going to see the hunger games movie?

Swan Song by Robert Mccammon. My favourite book. If you like sci-fi / horror / mutants / post -apocalyptic wastelands!

Currently reading ASSISTANT ENGINEER'S HANDBOOK
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Assistant-Engineers-Handbook-Timothy-Crich/dp/0969822308[/ame]

Found it at a used book store for like $2. Pretty good, but my copy was published in 1995, so it doesn't really talk much about modern DAW stuff, but it does give a great overview of the entire setup/tracking process so far.