Recommend Headphones

53Crëw

Jan 31, 2007
I've been using Sennheiser HD280 headphones but am wondering if they are a bit dark sounding. When I use them for mic placement, it seems that I end up overcompensating and wind up with with overly bright guitar tones. Anyone else find these headphones dark?

Any suggestions for something more neutral? (Preferably $100-150 max.)

Thanks.

They're very fatiguing and sound funky. A weird combination with HS80s going back and forth because I feel the HD280's are hyped around 60hz and 7khz and sound kind of sucked in which makes it hard to make decisions when mixing and making cuts and boosts to help make things fit. I always end up with loud OHs and too dark sounding guitars because I'm sucking at life and overcompensating.

Putney recommends open-back HD600's for mixing and I'm a gross fanboy of his guitars and control with bass low/lowmids so I'm probably going to grab a pair. I'm also on the lookout for the most honest sounding cans I can get since I'm doing the bedroom thing.

@53Crew: I've heard the Audio Technica M50 should be quite good. I don't own them but I listened to some mixes on them and also on the HD280. As far as I can remember that was a huge difference. It's like putting away a blanket from the mix when you listen to the M50's.

@The StabbinCabin: Have you tried the Shure SRH1840? Since I got them I am surprised how many details I'm able to hear. I tried many headphones and ended up with the Shure. FOR ME these were the most neutral headphones I listened to. And no I don't get paid for saying that. Unfortunately. They are pretty expensive.

I found a pair of factory refurbished ATH-M40fs phones on eBay for something like $60. They've proven fairly comfortable to wear and seem to have a nice flat response.