Recommend me an interface

Mar 15, 2011
I'm programming drums, and recording with a Shure SM57, one track at a time

I need a recommendation for an inexpensive interface, with at least 1 XLR input, and USB out. 1/4" input would be nice, but not as necessary as XLR, and I'm on a budget, so the cheaper the better haha. But I still don't want it breaking in 6 months.

I'm going to piggy-back on this thead:tickled:

I need a firewire interface. Nothing fancy...I'm just recording guitar for myself.

budget is around $400 used/new. Somewhat flexible budget.

:kickass:

I'm going to piggy-back on this thead:tickled:

I need a firewire interface. Nothing fancy...I'm just recording guitar for myself.

budget is around $400 used/new. Somewhat flexible budget.

:kickass:
If you want it just for recording guitar and you can give 400$ then you can get something very fancy. If I were you I wouldn't give more than ~200$. You also don't need a firewire interface.

If you want it just for recording guitar and you can give 400$ then you can get something very fancy. If I were you I wouldn't give more than ~200$.

I want it to be decent quality for guitar DI. I will sometimes do vocals as well.

You also don't need a firewire interface.

Ok

I have a Focusrite Saffire USB that wont work with my laptop. Major driver issue. The instrument input is useless for guitar, and their customer service pissed me off so Id rather stay away from them.

dont rely on the interface instrument di port..
most of them are useless get a seperate Di box like countrymen or Jadial stuffs
and focusrite saffire are good if you are looking for a usb interface...

Avid Fast Track C400 have relatively good instrument input with sufficient level, USB.
Still can have problem with some poorly designed notebooks.
Sometimes you should blame notebooks instead of interfaces. You can`t always control power saving behaviour, even maximum performance mode allows temporal CPU frequency reduction which is bad for audio system performance, at least on windows.

What is your budget? That'll help.

I was looking to stay right around $100 if thats possible. If its not, I'm open to suggestion.

If I should just accept the fact that my budget should be higher, I'm open to hear as to why.

But for a single channel, XLR input, USB out interface, I was thinking I could get away with about $100.

I was previously using an ART Tube MP preamp with a USB out as an interface, and it used to work surprisingly well. But out of no where, it started giving me an insanely loud hiss, and I guess thats what I get for buying anything by ART

Take it with a grain of salt because this is the only interface I've ever owned, but the Line6 UX1 has all the things you mentioned and comes with Pod Farm. I'll defer to the judgment of people with more experience, but it's only about $140 and has served me well thus far.

Avid C400 sounds more natural than Line6 pres, it seems that Line6 have larger high pass frequency (maybe due to capacitors values).

I used to have a line6 ux2, thought it was pretty good for the money, its not the greatest of interfaces bet it will help you get started, i bought mine for $100 on craigslist, got lucky. Plus i've heard sick tones from people on here with the ux2 or ux1