Recommend me overhead mics

madbutcher

May 23, 2005
St Louis
www.harkonin.com
Price range is under 1k for both, prefer more around 750 but i may be able to bend if worth it. Situation is my very well treated basement. Lots of absorbtion, room sounds really good I think, but I don't have much height.

Add on, I like kind of dark focused overheads. I usually roll them off pretty high, but still like to catch some tom action in them. Definitely some snare, so they are overheads and not just 'cymbal' mics. My 'house' kit is a decent gretsch kit with soon to be all zildjian custom A cymbals.

Not their typical application but i really love at4040's on overhead, plus they will do double duty (acoustic gtr, vocals, room etc)

Just bought a pair of Cascade Fathead II (Lundhal tranfo) and a pair of AKG C214 and I love both for overheads. Prefer them over my MK012 lately.

Go KSM32. And they are right in your price range if you get a good deal on ebay. These are really nice sounding overheads. At least I like em a lot.

Another nod for MK-012 Joly Mod Edition.

Also, another thing that I've been doing the past couple of sessions is using a ribbon as a mono overhead (Apex 205 Joly Mod) and stereo SDC's (Little Blondie mics) as close room mics at about 4 1/2 feet at cymbal height, pointed wide left and right spanning the kit. Having a good room makes this technique really nice. Focused and tight, yet wide at the same time.

Add on, I like kind of dark focused overheads. I usually roll them off pretty high, but still like to catch some tom action in them. Definitely some snare, so they are overheads and not just 'cymbal' mics. My 'house' kit is a decent gretsch kit with soon to be all zildjian custom A cymbals.

I'd suggest oktavamod MK-012 too except the description above makes me think you should go with a pair LDC instead.

Michael Joly makes modded Rode NT1 and various MXL with reworked electronics and his own capsule.
They sound amazing and are more suitable for a "whole picture" type of Overheads.

Am i the only one who found the mk012 to sound great but not "feel" great. I found the mic and mostly the removable capsule to have a cheap feeling to it when i tried them, thats why i didnt go that route. They didnt seem like they would tolerate to much "abuse/usage". I could be completely wrong though.