Recommend me some underrated old school traditional metal bands

Hmmm..... underground "basic metal."

Reverend - (several releases) First Metal Church's lead vocalist's (David Wayne) band he formed with second Metal Church's lead vocalist's (Mike Howe) former band Heretic. Does that make sense ?

Heretic - "Breaking Point" - thrash/power metal that was Mike Howe's (former Metal Church) first band.

Balance of Power - "Ten More Tales of the Grand Illusion" and "Perfect Balnce." This sounds a bit like Queensryche. Really good melodic metal.

Armored Saint - "Symbol of Salvation" is there last release and their pinnacle, but they have some good music.

Grim Reaper - "See You in Hell." Great vocalist but the production sounds extremely dated.

There are many more, but that is a start.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Oh btw don't forget about the Tony Martin Sabbath. That was some pretty good music that was very underrated.

Bryant

FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Headless Cross and Cross Purposes are FUCKING ROCKERS!

Fates Warning-No Exit, The Spectre Within
Jag Panzer-Ample Destruction
Black Sabbath-Headless Cross, Cross Pourposes(the Tony Martin Sabbath is so underrated...)
Crimson Glory-Transendance,S/T
Savatage-Sirens, Dungeons Are Calling, Hall Of The Mountain King
Angel Witch-S/T
Diamond Head-Lightning To The Nations
Samson-Head On
Grim Reaper-See You In Hell
Raven-Rock Until You Drop
Tygers Of Pan Tang-Spellbound
Queensryche-EP, Warning, Rage For Order, Operation:Mindcrime

That oughtta help you out a bit.

Looks like Grim Reaper - See You In Hell is the big favorite on these lists, 3 or 4 of us listed it.

Grim Reaper :headbang: , steve grimmett's vocals on onslaught - in search of sanity is pritty good too. The Force still stands as my Onslaught Favorite though, anyways some bands mainly thrash.

BloodMoney
Gammacide
Kublai Khan
Hydra Vein
Slammer
Fuck Off
Toxik
Guillotone
Paradox
Satan

The first two Michael Schenker Group albums are essential listening! The first one I have seen recently on CD, reissued by Classic Rock magazine. DEFINATELY worth picking up!

Destruction said:
Grim Reaper :headbang: , steve grimmett's vocals on onslaught - in search of sanity is pritty good too.

Rumor has it that Steve also sang on the first Chateaux album (Chained And Desperate).Great album either way!

ramses said:
Oh yeah, of course, that's a good one, too. I just put what I think is their best, didn't want to make the list any bigger. The only S.A. album I don't have is Downfall, which I'll be getting soon. RICK WAKEMAN!!!! Only the best keyboard player...ever!!! Are you a YES fan by any chance? They are my alltime favorite band. :worship:
My good pharaoh ;). Actually I started with "Downfall" is quite different to the rest of the SA production, I know people dissapointed at it but for me have only one song I don't like 'Elegy'. The rest are pretty good specially 'Midnight Dreams' and 'Chapel Of Burning'.

As for Wakeman, this is going to sound kind of illogical to you, but I'm not a fan of Yes, I only have two albums and a tribute. But for some reason Wakeman drives me crazy, I had all his classic solo albums, some of the mid-period and the latests ones. Actually I saw him live with his son Adam and the same band which plays in "Out There", it has been the best concert I've ever attended.

BTW Rush is another awsome band, and "Hemispheres" is a fantastic album.
xyxthumbs.gif

Some mentioned Coroner, Fuck yeah!!!!! DOnt forget about ARTILLERY !!!

These 2 bands above are a definite thrash litsen but for more traditonal metal how come no one said CANDLEMASS!! theyre DOOM but still fucking heavy metal!!

the polish bastard said:
Some mentioned Coroner, Fuck yeah!!!!! DOnt forget about ARTILLERY !!!

These 2 bands above are a definite thrash litsen but for more traditonal metal how come no one said CANDLEMASS!! theyre DOOM but still fucking heavy metal!!
you certainly are right about Candlemass They are an awsome fukin Band!!!!!! Bryant Symbols is not Armored Saints Last release buddy :p

Have you heard new Australian metal band Black Majesty - kinda a cross between early Queensryche, Helloween, Fifth Angel. Awesome singer!

Only one album out called Sands of Time that came out last year.

Voivod has to be one of the most underrated metal bands ever!
I guess some people just can't get past Snake's vocals, but they are one of the most unique and original metal bands ever.

20 Eyes said:
Voivod has to be one of the most underrated metal bands ever!
I guess some people just can't get past Snake's vocals, but they are one of the most unique and original metal bands ever.
I have all the Voivod albums. Yes Snake is an adjustment, but they are very unique. They, along with Metallica, were at the forefront in the beginning of thrash metal. But I like their prog side better. To me, Outer Limits, Nothingface, and Angel Rat were, and are still ahead of their time!!
As for Candlemass, they put out 3 of the best doom albums in a row! Nightfall, Ancient Dreams, and Tales of Creation are what all doom metal bands should be measured by. :worship: :headbang: