Recommend some classy Prog acts

How the hell did this thread get this far without a single mention of Riverside? Did they not yet exist in 2005 or something? A cross between Anathema and "normal" prog-metal, I don't think prog-metal gets much more classy than that. (of course this goes to JK's original question rather than RiA's new one).
Couldn't agree more on Riverside. However, I'm pretty sure RiA's heard their stuff.

Zod

The best Prog ROCK album is Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane. Once this one catches on, after many spins, you will be immersed with emotion. Read the booklet along with the tunes to get the full effect. I can't really get into the other PoS albums though, besides a great song here and there.

The strangest thing happened the other day. I picked out my one and only PoS CD from the shelf [The Perfect Element part 1] and I enjoyed parts of it. It's strange because I've previously been bored out of my head listening to these folks, having walked out of 2 live performances as well....but now I might be coming around.

Still, I've only ever heard Perfect Element, so should I try Remedy Lane? In particular, I really liked the track "Idioglossia" and I was hoping for more of the same....

....cinematic, dark, prog. That's what I'm after. (So it doesn't even need to be restricted to PoS).

Everything. I actually own Politics of Ecstasy, Dead Heart in a Dead World, Enemies of Reality, and TGE (the days of buying CDs before MP3s). I've heard DNB on MP3. Believe me when I say I'm not being flippant here. It's just one of those bands that I could never really get into although I tried and tried again. I put it down for my dislike towards Dane's vocal style, it's just one of those personal things I can't get passed. There's no doubt they're a talented bunch though, and they're supposed to be great live.

I did really like TGE the best. Some of those songs were great. But on the whole, it's a band I just can't get into.

I should try this again. Its so fucking jumpy and those odd time signatures do my head in, but hey, you can never say never (unless it's nevermore) *rimshot*
I owned Towers for about a full year, without it ever clicking for me. After letting it collect dust for about six months, I decided to give it a spin (the week before I was to see them at PPIII). It clicked for me... in a huge way. I played it non-stop all week. And by the time the festival rolled around, they were the band I wanted to see most. And they did not disappoint.

Zero Hour clearly isn't for everyone. They have a fairly uncompromising musical vision and their music is a tough nut to crack. However, the payoff is amazing.

I agree with jimbobhickville. In my opinion, it's only a stone's throw from being on Mindcrime's level.

Zod

Whatever happened to the original vocalist of Zero Hour anyway? On M-A, it doesnt show him with any other band. That's a shame. I hope he resurfaces with another great band. He is outstanding.

Still, I've only ever heard Perfect Element, so should I try Remedy Lane? In particular, I really liked the track "Idioglossia" and I was hoping for more of the same....

....cinematic, dark, prog. That's what I'm after. (So it doesn't even need to be restricted to PoS).

You probably will be very satisfied with RL as it has a higher metal quotient than TPL and is every bit as cinematic and dark.

As for that ex-Zero Hour vocalist, I agree that we need to hear more from him as his performance on Towers is godly. But he got the boot because they got pissed off at his unreliability, so I wouldn't pin my hopes on him resurfacing...

You probably will be very satisfied with RL as it has a higher metal quotient than TPL and is every bit as cinematic and dark.

As for that ex-Zero Hour vocalist, I agree that we need to hear more from him as his performance on Towers is godly. But he got the boot because they got pissed off at his unreliability, so I wouldn't pin my hopes on him resurfacing...

About the unreliability --- that blows. :( I didnt know the reason why.

About Remedy Lane, <3 <3 <3 ...such a powerful album. Definitely the pinnacle of their career imho.

Is Dark Suns good?

They're a band that I've tried to get into a LOT of times, because on paper, I should love them, but, no luck. Including their new album, which I just checked out a week ago. My best explanation is that the guy's clean vocals are too Pain of Salvation like, but I even like Pain of Salvation more than Dark Suns.

I was really impressed with their live set when I saw them open for Disillusion, which of course inspired another failed attempt to get into their albums.

Neil

Whatever happened to the original vocalist of Zero Hour anyway?
As I understand it, after his mother lost her battle with cancer, he ended up in a dark place. The Zero Hour guys were as patient as they could be, delaying the follow-up to Towers for a very long time. I believe he wasn't even responding to their e-mails, and eventually they were forced to move on.

On M-A, it doesnt show him with any other band. That's a shame. I hope he resurfaces with another great band. He is outstanding.
I do as well. After Barlow, he was my favorite vocalist. I'm very happy I had to chance to hear him live. He was amazing.:worship:

Zod