Recommended band

Definitely, Greeno, alot of the black/death has some killer riffing in it, too bad they have to ruin it by "vomiting", eh? (two bands I really liked were Finntroll and Moonsorrow, if not for the vocals)

Over the past few years I was forced into the black/death metal world to some degree, searching out really heavy riff music (my personal fav). Although not a fan of the extreme metal, it seems many of my favorite modern metal bands started out as extreme bands: Therion, Orphaned Land, and Cruachan top the list.

I find it inspiring that these bands have matured and used their songwriting talents for good...
not evil. he he :devil:

The majority of "growlers/screechers" still do it in key, which makes it no different then distorting a guitar, so I don't see the problem.
Although I can see how you wouldn't like the ones that just growl out any old note rather than sticking to a distorted but still there melody line.

But anyways, it's all opinion based, so we're all right! :D

Igor_Cavalera said:
But anyways, it's all opinion based, so we're all right! :D

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Diversity loves company!

Amen :wave:

Moreover is a very personnal matter how do you focus on music. I don't like Death but I do like Control Denied. I like one Impaled Nazarene album but mostly because they sound like Motorhead. I do like Venom, Hellhammer and some Celtic Frost.
I don't make much sense as a listener, but again I don't consider myself normal :D

We all have opinions. I tell you guys if you dont mind a little bit of growling you should
Check out Opeth's BlackWater Park. I consider progessive death metal if there is such a thing but there are some melodic vocals in the mix. And I heard they put out a clean
vocal album after this one.

Yes KMADD, Opeth did release a mellower clean vocal album titled Damnation. And it is absolutely GODLY. One of my fave albums of '03. It is very rich in melody and emotion, although a bit soft and slow for "metal only" fans.

And I agree that Blackwater Park is a great album for metal fans who are looking to get their feet wet in death metal. I still don't like the grunting, but the music just kicks ass and there are alot of clean vocals and long instrumental passages that I just adore.

I agree that both "Blackwater Park" and "Damnation" are brilliant albums. Opeth are a very tallented band capable of pulling off many styles brilliantly. I even heard that their next album is going to be Black Metal which would be interesting. Even though I'm not that much of a Black Metal fan, I do like some Black Metal bands.

I still don't really understand the differences between black and death metal. Not being a fan of the extreme genres, maybe I'm missing the obvious, but they sound alike to me. Is there a simple way to discern the two?

I usually just lump the two together, not knowing any better.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
I still don't really understand the differences between black and death metal. Not being a fan of the extreme genres, maybe I'm missing the obvious, but they sound alike to me. Is there a simple way to discern the two?

I usually just lump the two together, not knowing any better.

Yes, Death Metal are the more deadlier one of the two while Black Metal is darker in colour :D

Death Metal is crushing guitar and usually blast beats and lots of growling. But their is
also Swedish style Death metal which is a mix of death, thrash and usually screaming instead of growling. At The Gates and later Hypocrisy are good examples.
And black metal is a rawer form of metal music with usually twangy guitar playing(I dont know how to describe the black metal riff-perhaps someone like Doden's Grav can
help me out!) Blast beats and usually kind of high pitched screaming with some growling. Enochian Crescent, Dark Throne, Mayhem, Gorgoroth, Enthroned, Dimmu Borgir(dont care I still like em!) Limbonic Art are good examples of black metal.