Recording A Band's Song, Want Some Opinions On This First Try

Jul 8, 2012
1) This is the sound I was asked for, it's not my personal favorite(I like a little more PUNCH and INYOURFACE type sound, but they wanted it clear and flat, like a limit to everything to balance out the music.
2) I know the bass freq. randomly pops out some places, I'm working on it, I do need some help on how to avoid that.
3) Guitar is quadtracked, the lead is alone.
4) Bass is there------------------------
5) I know this is a work in progress, there are vocals but I'll post those besides this.
6) All parts were checked by the artists, the sounds used are the ones they want, even if I suggested better for a tighter mix.

So how do you think it sounds?

And why is it the mix sounds better in some places and then random stuff happens, everything is leveled out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your drums are massively over compressed at least in the beginning. It's not bad man, compared to the first things you've put up here that I listened to a while back. I STILL think more drums haha! I think they are too quiet. More punch, less compression on them because the kick drum presses everything down in the drums. For that bass frequency problem just slam a compressor on your bass or put a multiband compressor on it to get control of those low frequencies. Guitars sound a lot better.
A lot better than what I've heard in the past you're really getting it down a lot better man great job!