Recording a real Tube head trough PodXT cab simulation

Fabbio

Yoda
Mar 6, 2005
Milano, Italy
Hi guys!!!

My main disappointment in living in an apartment is that I can't use a real amp miced to record and have to use the simulation devices such as PodXT and V-amp.

But...

If I used a REAL tube head and i'd send the signal output to the cab and mic and reverb simulation would it sound a lot better than using an all simulation environment?

Or it's just speculation and the real good results are with a real head and a real cab with a real mic?

Let me know what do you think and if you ever tried something like this.

Even if it would work, would'nt he run the risk of damaging the head?
Also I'm guessing it would sound like poop anyway.
You can't record at a comfortable medium/low level in your aptartment?

I think you need a direct box to do so. And FWIW, clips I've heard of people doing this sound fantastic.

This sounds like the type of thing that seems like a good idea but in practice would break the head and the podxt alike. I mean I thought you aren't even supposed to turn on a tube head unless it's plugged into a cab... If others have had experience with this working though it does sound like a cool idea.

You absolutely need a dummy load if you don't want to fry the output transformers of the amplifier.

I've heard recordings of what you're describing being done, and while they sound better than a straight up pod, they still sound kind of crappy.

slipperman dedicated one of his audio lessons to this; where he and two other guys were trying to get a decent tone doing just what you're talking about...running a cranked tube head direct with cabinet simulation hardware. after fucking around with it for a good half hour he said "this d/i shit is for the birds, fuck it". heh. it's worth a try if you have a dummy load, but you're not going to replicate a full rig.

Yeah, a dummy load of some sort is what you'd need to be able to use it with the modeller. I've heard some great results from a guy using Guitar Rig for its cabinet section. So much so that I'm considering trying it out myself with my rack, for home recording stuff.

If you just run the amp's speaker output into your Pod, you're gonna break all kindsa shit.

Give it a load and the use the line out(if you have one) would be the way, me thinks. Then ..that line out would have to be made to suit the POD guitar input.. with.. ?

Benny H said:
Give it a load and the use the line out(if you have one) would be the way, me thinks. Then ..that line out would have to be made to suit the POD guitar input.. with.. ?

Why line out? :err:
Wouldn't he be better off with the 'send' jack from FX loop?
That's a guitar impedance output...

SickBoy said:
Why line out? :err:
Wouldn't he be better off with the 'send' jack from FX loop?
That's a guitar impedance output...

True, but then you're getting just the preamp signal. If you want to have the power amp in there too, you need to run it from the amp's speaker output.

Razorjack said:
Tube amp->POD XT = Broken amp and POD

Simple answer - Palmer speaker emulator.

That sounds like a very suitable thing to do. I'm googling this Palmer thing to see what it's about. Thanks Razor!

Didn't know about impedance, but since I am speaking only in theory (I don't have a tube head yet but I am considering buying one, only I couldn't use it in my home if I had one so...).

Damn little apartments with thin walls...

The powerbreak is also dangerous for output transformers. Hotplate or Weber Mass are good.

I've used my 6505+ with its preamp line out into the Pod XT as an experiment with no problems. However, I had my 4x12 connected and the speakers were running at a pretty loud volume, so that kind of defeats the purpose.

The Hotplate should solve the problem though. :)

Fabbio said:
That sounds like a very suitable thing to do. I'm googling this Palmer thing to see what it's about. Thanks Razor!

Didn't know about impedance, but since I am speaking only in theory (I don't have a tube head yet but I am considering buying one, only I couldn't use it in my home if I had one so...).

Damn little apartments with thin walls...

What about a iso cab?