Recording acoustics, breathing problem

if6was9

Ireland
Jun 13, 2007
lreland
I record alot of acoustic guitar at home cause I use it in my own music and not everything I record is metal,
I'm having a problem of picking up the breathing sounds pretty loudly on the mic, its nothing major but it is definately audible.
I don't want to move the mic positioning because the guitar sounds really nice and i'm happy with the sound of that through the mic, i've tried breathing away from the mic and looking in the oppositite direction but often I'll have to look at the neck at some point to keep on eye on where i'm at, and inevitably I end up up breathing out again and getting it in the take.

Anyone have any tips for this or any word of advice. Its really annoying because it makes the otherwise pretty decent recordings sound amateur

I've had similar probems with other players and also with flute/tin whistle players. its not really something i can edit out so much because the part is being played while I'm breathing.

1) Change the mic. I get a lot of breathing noise with passive dynamic mics when the level is audible, but none with active condenser mics
2) Change the mic position
3) Use a popfilter or three in front of your face. Wire hangar and panty hose will do the trick if you don't want spend 20 bucks on them

could be the mic alright- its a 57 i use mostly, other than that i'm using a ribbon mic, haven't done much with a condensor on it yet- i assumed that would be more sensitive though,

I doubt a pop filter will make any difference- its not the air moving against the diaphragm like breath on vocals, its the sound of me breathing in and out, i breathe quite heavily and it makes a kind of a signing sound, not a rumble or pop lie air moving against the capsule, i'll try it though.

I don't really want to move the mic position as i'm very happy with the tone of the guitar, moving the mic is my last resort really.

could be the mic alright- its a 57 i use mostly, other than that i'm using a ribbon mic, haven't done much with a condensor on it yet- i assumed that would be more sensitive though,

I doubt a pop filter will make any difference- its not the air moving against the diaphragm like breath on vocals, its the sound of me breathing in and out, i breathe quite heavily and it makes a kind of a signing sound, not a rumble or pop lie air moving against the capsule, i'll try it though.

I don't really want to move the mic position as i'm very happy with the tone of the guitar, moving the mic is my last resort really.

Stop breathing. Get a space helmet.

Would it be possible to keep the same mic position, but angle it more away from you? This of course depends on your current position, but if it's facing upward 5*, maybe find an equal position that you can point it down at 5*.

I've messed around with a condenser on acoustic, and if the level has to be up, you can hear everything in the room. I think the level can be lower on a condensor though compared to a 57 where you probably have the level cranked a bit. Maybe not though.

Could you possibly post a pic of the mic position?

107201.jpg

I was thinking of wrapping a scarf around my mouth and nose to quell the breathing sound- seriously!

Yeah the mic pre is pretty cranked as the stuff I do is fairly quiet, thats probably not helping my cause really.

Right now I have the mic placed around the 15th/17th fret pointing at the fretboard but slightly upwards too, I'll try downwards, makes sense.

I was thinking of wrapping a scarf around my mouth and nose to quell the breathing sound- seriously!

Yeah the mic pre is pretty cranked as the stuff I do is fairly quiet, thats probably not helping my cause really.

Right now I have the mic placed around the 15th/17th fret pointing at the fretboard but slightly upwards too, I'll try downwards, makes sense.

That scarf thing works. I do it all the time.

Try facing away from the mic.

Make sure you only breathe through your mouth. Swimmers have this thing on their nose that blocks water from coming in. Get one.

This is a very common problem. Even on pro recordings you can still sometimes hear breathing noises. Just try to minimize it as best as you can.

You must be a mouth breather, smoker too maybe?

blow your noes, clear your throat. A clean airway doesn't make a sound, definitely not a whistling or 'singing' sound. Sounds like spiders in your sinus.

or learn to breath through your ears!

I don´t know why but sometimes the breathing in acoustic recordings adds a bit of interesting texture, not in all cases of course, but there are exception where the breathing at the end of the song while the guitar resonances is still sounding sounds really cool, don´t know if im explaining myself well haha

yeah i guess i'm just gonna have to be alot more careful and invest in a nice scarf and wash it regularly, there's a few songs i've recorded i'm fairly proud of that its kinda ruining for me.
I tend to add alot of layers too so when the breathing builds up it gets killer