Recording Budget

scorpio01169

Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
I'm sure this has been discussed before and this is a loaded question but here it goes. A few friends of mines band came to me a few months ago and asked what I would charge them for a few songs and I quoted them $200 but just straight recording to a click track, no triggers, no extensive editing, just come in and record. and they were cool with that and I have faith they can pull it off. But then they just a week ago got signed to an independent label and have someone of a budget to work with.....would it be a dick move on my part to change my rate based on the fact they have more money to work with?

"Now that you've got some backing behind you and the label will expect a high quality product, how about we rearrange your booking to X, Y, Z and take it to the next level. I'll be willing to do this for you for the new rate of $$$, however it's just an option. Let me know what you would like to do."

"Now that you've got some backing behind you and the label will expect a high quality product, how about we rearrange your booking to X, Y, Z and take it to the next level. I'll be willing to do this for you for the new rate of $$$, however it's just an option. Let me know what you would like to do."

This. :headbang:

Although these days indie-label backing doesn't mean that there is a recording budget at all! It does mean though, that the final product must be good.

If they indeed have a larger budget, you can offer them a larger production service meaning more recording time, "real" editing work, reamp, etc. everything you can offer for a real good production and charge more per song for that.