recording drums in seperate takes?

May 17, 2007
Germany
www.facebook.com
Is it usual to record drums in seperate takes? I`m planning on doing this on my bands new album but how do you make the seperate parts sound as one, because you have to cut out the ringing of the cymbals and the reverb at the end of the takes. Is there an easy and clean way to do this? (I`m using cubase sx)

The drummer should play into the next part.
Have him jam along with himself for a measure to get the the groove.
He should be sure to hit all cymbals / toms he normally would at the end of the measure before the punch-in that may be ringing into the next take. Otherwise the cut point will sound funny.

I've done the following in Cubase/Nuendo but I'm sure any DAW cn do the equivalent:
1 put the drum tracks into a folder
2 copy the folder (for a total of two or more)
3 arm one folder at a time (You can arm/disarm all tracks in one shot on the folder).
4 record part 1 in folder one, part 2 in folder two, part 3 in folder one etc.

Make sure the takes overlp and the drummer keeps his playing consistent.

I derno I just try to get it good in one take if I can, if there is a break anywhere then kickass i just punch there, but I deal with alot of sloppy drummers so playing the exact same thing 2 times is rare.

If your dealing with a good drummer I imagine punches shouldn't be to hard.

In time you will find that its best to just record 3 takes or so.

They might nail it on one of them.

Or maybe you will find a break or pause after the first half of take 1 and then you can cut and paste over song 2 where the first half sucked and the second half was cool.

Otherwise the breaks and pauses are your greatest hope.

You might find it quicker to have them redo it than spending the time trying to punch in and make it sound clean.

I've found that identifying mistakes and choosing punch-points for the drums in the studio tends to waste time.

I would say set up 3 different playlists for your drums and simply record a minimum of 3 different takes per song (depending how good the drummer is.. if he's shit you may want more just in case). That way his rhythm isn't broken up, as he simply plays through the song the whole way 3 times, and you don't have to use as much time/brainpower identifying what is wrong. Sometimes in the studio you get so 'in the zone' you wouldn't hear a mistake if it jumped out of the session and kicked you out of that director's chair.

After the drums are all recorded. Take that crap home and edit it up with an mbox and some cans.

EDIT: Shit, just realized you were using Cubase. Well, I've found Cubase to suck at tracking, but you can still pull out 3 whole different takes of the drums and just have them all overlap. You can right click then choose which you want to bring 'to front'. Good luck editing them together though... probably take you 10 times as long as it would on PT.

I have never understod how this is a problem among most people. I have always recorded drums in separate takes, one riff at a time, and I have never had any problems. I have my drummer starting like 2-3 measures before the next riff. Just make sure he plays exactly the same so you'll have a cutting span of 2 measures...

And of course, click..

i always use the cymbals being hit as a cue to seperate where one take ends and another begins...

i.e. if there's fast thrashy beat on the high hat, followed by a slower grooving beat on the crash i would likely have him play those as two seperate takes

that way you can let the cymbals fade out naturally at the end of the first section, because he doesn't use that cymbal for the next section (or atleast a decent portion of it)