Recording heavy guitars using condensor ?

jangoux

May 9, 2006
ANyone does that ?

I was never satisfied with my guitars sounds until last saturday i used my Audio Technica AT 4047 along a SM57 to record some light crunchy guitars and became amazed of how much more low mids it got when compared to the heavy guitars i record with SM57 + MD421. So today i tried SM57 + At4047 on a modern rock band i am recording and BAM! It still isnt what i want but it is MUCH better, now it fits the mix like a glove.

Do any of you used a condensor on heavy guitars with any luck ?

lots of folks go with condensers on guitars

the haunted recently posted a vid on their site where their engl cabs were mic'ed with a senn. 441 and AKG C414. another example would be suicidal tendencies, who use AT 3035's on their VHT cabs live.

The deal is not really being a condenser or not...but the difference it made when compared to Sm57, Md421, Sm7 or any other dynamic i've tried was HUGE. For the first time i heard low mids inside the Daw like a listen on the room when i play my amp!

I did a standard sm57 close miked on the cone as usual, and then placed an SD condenser 6 feet away from the cab that gave me a really cool proximity effect, as well as better mids. Reminded me of Dead Eternity by In Flames.

Just mess around with different sizes and different placements. You'll find something cool.

I was worried about it picking up too much noise because my room just plain sucks. But it actually sounded good...

I was thinking....the At4047 is a somewhat dark microphone and along with the Sm57 it seems to have made things more even. So, that's why people use ribbons like the Royer 121 ?

I still dont know why I can't get a useable with only 57s, tho.

I was worried about it picking up too much noise because my room just plain sucks. But it actually sounded good...

I was thinking....the At4047 is a somewhat dark microphone and along with the Sm57 it seems to have made things more even. So, that's why people use ribbons like the Royer 121 ?

I still dont know why I can't get a useable with only 57s, tho.

yep

I can't believe anyone hasn't bothered to ask for pictures of how you are placing the mic. If you posted pics of where you are placing the 57 we could give tips on improving the sound just by placement. Obviously great results can be had with a single SM57 on a speaker, so it's probably due to the room itself, cab position or mic position or all three.

~006

it's probably due to the room itself, cab position or mic position or all three.
~006

My room is terrible (actually a narrow but long bedroom...like 7 feet wide and 18 feet long..or something like that.... 6 meters long and 2.5 meters wide :D ), and dont have much options to position the cab on the room - the space is enough for the cable, space for people pass by and for whatever is lying around!

...but i've tried every damn mic position I could imagine and by using the condensor it got SO much better, and SO much more closer than what i listen on the room. Still kinda frustrated I can't get an useable tone with just a sm57, tho.

can somebody post a clip of an at4050 on heavy guitars? I think I'm going to pick one up soon..

can somebody post a clip of an at4050 on heavy guitars? I think I'm going to pick one up soon..
Slipknot-9.0_Live_Cover.jpg

caveat: Colin may have reamped it, I don't know.

I can't believe anyone hasn't bothered to ask for pictures of how you are placing the mic. If you posted pics of where you are placing the 57 we could give tips on improving the sound just by placement. Obviously great results can be had with a single SM57 on a speaker, so it's probably due to the room itself, cab position or mic position or all three.

~006

That being said Mike, would you (or anyone for that matter) recommend a condensor for someone with shitty room conditions who can't get their recordings to sound like the amp in the room no matter what they do?