Recording heavy guitars using condensor ?

here's a typical setup (for me anyway)
P1080616.JPG

P1080617.JPG

P1080618.JPG

P1080619.JPG

clips? pretty much everything on my site

what mic is that next to the 57 if I may ask?

P1080616.JPG

P1080617.JPG

P1080618.JPG

P1080619.JPG

Isn't this going to get you into phase trouble? The only problem with the SM7 is that it's diaphragm is situated 2 inches into the mic and getting it in phase requires the 57 to be placed about 2 inches from the grille..
Atleast thats what i would think hehe

well, use the three to one rule so if the 57 capsule is 1" off the source and the sm7 cap is at least 3 times as far from that source. then you have accomplished that.
You still sweep it until the phase issues work for you. This technique is using phase anomalies as an advantage, nothing with 2 mics is truly 100% in phase, it's just a matter of making sure the phase shift makes it sound better.

Repeat after me: I SHALL NOT RECORD MY CAB IN THE CORNER OF THE ROOM:I SHALL NOT RECORD MY CAB IN THE CORNER OF THE ROOM:I SHALL NOT RECORD MY CAB IN THE CORNER OF THE ROOM:I SHALL NOT RECORD MY CAB IN THE CORNER OF THE ROOM:I SHALL NOT RECORD MY CAB IN THE CORNER OF THE ROOM:I SHALL NOT RECORD MY CAB IN THE CORNER OF THE ROOM:I SHALL NOT RECORD MY CAB IN THE CORNER OF THE ROOM:I SHALL NOT RECORD MY CAB IN THE CORNER OF THE ROOM::saint::saint:

I SHALL RECORD MY CAB IN THE CORNER OF THE ROOM:I SHALL RECORD MY CAB IN THE CORNER OF THE ROOM:I SHALL RECORD MY CAB IN THE CORNER OF THE ROOM:I SHALL RECORD MY CAB IN THE CORNER OF THE ROOM

Well, with a 2x12 it could be beneficial in a way to get a little more bottom end effect. There is no such thing as "wrong", remember? :)

~006

P1080616.JPG

P1080617.JPG

P1080618.JPG

P1080619.JPG

so.. I'm recording a band today, and have a locker full of fun goodies. from Sm57's to U87's.. all kinds of fun stuff. Tons of outboard gear.. Going to record this band www.myspace.com/heroeswillfall and I'm doing the guitars and bass today. I'm diggin the sound you've got with the setup you have here. But the question is, What should I do in lieu of the SM7B that is no longer in the collection? I was thinking about using a 122 or a 414. But I haven't really tried them out and I don't have a lot of time tonight to go for trial and error. a 4 hour session to get the guitars and bass recorded to tape. >_> and should I take advantage of the preamps i've got? (GML and Neeve)

woo that was a lot! lol.

so.. I'm recording a band today, and have a locker full of fun goodies. from Sm57's to U87's.. all kinds of fun stuff. Tons of outboard gear.. Going to record this band www.myspace.com/heroeswillfall and I'm doing the guitars and bass today. I'm diggin the sound you've got with the setup you have here. But the question is, What should I do in lieu of the SM7B that is no longer in the collection? I was thinking about using a 122 or a 414. But I haven't really tried them out and I don't have a lot of time tonight to go for trial and error. a 4 hour session to get the guitars and bass recorded to tape. >_> and should I take advantage of the preamps i've got? (GML and Neeve)

woo that was a lot! lol.

Just do 2 57's man.

so.. i had more time then i thought and managed to screw with some other things. I should've taken some pictures but I forgot. We managed to use an AKG 414 for room tone, a 57 off center (angled towards the outskirts of the cone) a SM7B on the bottom right speaker and a 421 (i didn't get a chance to check out the positioning but all of it together sounded great.) When I get around to mixing I'll be sure to post the final product here.

im freakin exhausted now.. lol off to bed :zombie:

try using a RODE M3 with the SM57, it's a sd condenser but it's extremely versatile, it's quite directional so when pointed at amp can bring out quite a defined sound. also does well for acoustics, a great all-rounder. bargain for the price imo.