Recording help....

Apr 2, 2003
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Hey guys... I've wanted to start recording lately, but I have a problem...

When I run into my sound card's line in or microphone inputs, I can hear the sound through the speakers but no programs will pick it up. I tried Cool Edit Pro and Window's sound recorder... I'm playing, and they're picking nothing up.

I'm guessing I'm going to have to get a new sound card, right? I planned on doing it before too long anyway, but I wanted to be able to get a few crappy recordings done.

Hmmm, good question. Generally I would have said that maybe cool edit doesn't know which drivers to use and so can't record anything, but if the windows recorder does the same, there seems to be another problem.
I never worked with cool edit, so I can't really say, but have you tried to set the drivers in the dialog box? That always was my first problem with sequencers.

You should be able to do recordings with your soundcard, the question is how far. You definitely don't have to spend a fortune to get a proper card for recording (if you don't plan to do it professionally).

Hope this was at least a little helpful.

Cheerz,
Kosh

go into your volume control and make sure your line in and mic ports arnt muted, also, if you have the 20Db boost, try activating that..its under the advanced controls..

Try downloading new drivers?

Also if you're running on Win98 newer recording software might be having problems with the multimedia system.

Try XP - it's no problem to install it together with Win98. (2000 is, BTW)

I got it I think. I used to have this problem.

Have you tried Under The Volume Controls

Go to Options -> Properties -> Recording

Then, highlight all the boxes and click ok. It will then take you to a similar screen as the standard volume settings for windows, except for recording. Then, select either Stero Mix (what I use, incorperates all inputs) or Mic Volume or Line in, depending on which socket yuo're using on the pc.

The volume settings are under accessories -> entertainment -> volume control in windows XP. Home this helps :)