Recording levels

Who is misquoting who now? Chill out. Why the hell are you so pissed off anyway? This is what I was referring to:

Whatever noise you have at the source is going to be there regardless of whether you track at 16-bit, 24-bit, -12, or -3. Tracking hotter is not going to make the background noise vanish, in fact, turning up the gain on the preamp will increase the level of noise in the track.
how does my talking about back ground noise equate to the noise-at-the-source you are talking about? sorry, turning up and amp goes a long way to defeat any background noise. i never said shit about hum. your a determined to figure out some way to make me look an idiot.. but you can't.. sorry. and yet again: i typically record in 24bit at somewhere between -3 and -6 for most sources. i just don't get overly geeky about it. and i'm not pissed off... this is "spirited debate".. i've gone to pains to include "smileys" to demonstrate that to some degree. but pointing out the obvious to someone who's been recording professionally for years is pretty iame.... sorry for any misunderstanding though.

i mostly was just fired up to debate about the subject.. it was fun for a minute.

how does my talking about back ground noise equate to the noise-at-the-source you are talking about? sorry, turning up and amp goes a long way to defeat any background noise. i never said shit about hum. your a determined to figure out some way to make me look an idiot.. but you can't.. sorry. and yet again: i typically record in 24bit at somewhere between -3 and -6 for most sources. i just don't get overly geeky about it. and i'm not pissed off... this is "spirited debate".. i've gone to pains to include "smileys" to demonstrate that to some degree. but pointing out the obvious to someone who's been recording professionally for years is pretty insulting.

I think you simply misunderstood what I wrote, or it wasn't clear to you what I meant. I know you never said shit about hum. Once again, I didn't quote you. Turning up the guitar amp will eliminate background noise, that is common sense! I was explaining that tracking as close to 0 as possible is pointless and can spoil otherwise great takes if they clip. The second point was that digital headroom & noise is not the same as what is coming in from the analog realm. What's more, I wasn't even talking to you, so why are you so insulted?

dumbanddumbererp7oj8xc5.jpg

After reading this entire thread, I have learned nothing.:lol: I don't look at numbers. It's AUDIO! I use my ears. You push you signal to the danger zone (red, clipping, whatever) and past, then BACK OFF! You have to know where the limit is before you can set a level. It's that simple to me. Carry on.:lol:

After reading this entire thread, I have learned nothing.:lol: I don't look at numbers. It's AUDIO! I use my ears. You push you signal to the danger zone (red, clipping, whatever) and past, then BACK OFF! You have to know where the limit is before you can set a level. It's that simple to me. Carry on.:lol:

this thread was over... late-comers are not welcome...

therefore .....

you are sentenced to .....

THE FORK CHAIR!!!
Seniora-fork-chair.jpg

he's very tiny you know....

Yes thank you, thank you...I would first like to thank the academy for giving me this prestigious award...and last but not least...the founder of the fork chair academy "James Murphy"...this is such a great honor...and to the rest of the nominees "You were all great; Any one of you deserve this just as well!"(orchestra starts playing) And to my fans up there in the balcony! This is for you! (delay)you you you you...:heh:

+1

I use PT and I just thought that hitting the red light was a bad thing and I backed off on the input a little... also, i cant figure out how to find where EXACTLY -3dB is in PT... the mix window and the edit window meters are too small and have no markers... even when you open up each individual track volume, there are no markers...

to see the peaks:
On windows xp: hold Control and click on Track Volume/Peak/Channel Delay indicator
On Mac: hold Command and click on Track Volume/Peak/Channel Delay indicator

I started this thread to learn something, but I was only bashed...I don't think I have offended anyone..