recording live/real drums, cymbal wankery

You could just use another sample.. Bogren did this a lot on Katatonia's TGCD.. listen to the chorus of Consternation (among other songs), he's got the normal drums and then a really almost techno cymbal on the left IIRC. Quite subtle but a very cool effect and may work better than the other options.
FWIW this wasn't a save job, but rather something katatonia has been doing a fair amount since LFDGD. That doesn't mean it wouldn't help now OC.

If you are gridding anyway I would automate a "transient" on the hits in the section and see if that gets you where you're going.

FWIW this wasn't a save job, but rather something katatonia has been doing a fair amount since LFDGD. That doesn't mean it wouldn't help now OC.

Yeah I know, the cymbal sound on TGCD is phenomenal. I did try something like this today, china samples, but it didn't work very well at all. Wasn't trying to augment a crash though, which might work.

You say you usually take cymbal samples of each session Joey, why not just overlay those on the beat? Transient designer or compressor on the samples if you want some more attack. But tbh its hard to tell without clips, I wouldn't consider this a problem. I've heard of people compressing their OHs for the sole purpose of making the cymbals washier and less defined (this was Meshuggah too, so technical stuff, although not so much with the cymbals I guess). But it may be worse than you're describing.

It seems I have 2 fake Oktava's :Smug:
One is a mk and the other is a mc...but they look the same.
Fortunately, I didn't buy them...a friend of mine lend me them.

If I'm not mistaken, not all MC-012 are fake but all of the fakes are MC-012.
Joey's are MK-012, have a metal clip and a -10db pad so I think they are real.

I have not the metal clip...I've 2 plastic anti-shock mount...one is mk-012 and the other is a mc-012 but they look the same. I haven't the pad also. But my friend bought them used so I don't know.

Octavas are solid OH mics for sure... Another trick you can use to improve shitty sounding overheads is to layer in some cymbal samples with the natural OH's and pitch shift either the natural cymbals or samples a couple cents... Should create some more body and mellow out any harshness a little bit... You could rock the Waves doubler for this purpose...

is your tracking space still untreated?

i would guess that comb filtering and nasty reflections would be more an issue than the mics if you're getting audible bullshit in your tracks

You could just use another sample.. Bogren did this a lot on Katatonia's TGCD.. listen to the chorus of Consternation (among other songs), he's got the normal drums and then a really almost techno cymbal on the left IIRC. Quite subtle but a very cool effect and may work better than the other options.

edit: most obvious at about ;46 between vocals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsXu1428r2c

that's not some techno cymbal addition, thats the drummer alternating on the china and crash. Gene hoglan does it alot.