Recording Mics

Base Delta Zero

Senior Meatbag
Feb 12, 2006
I'm looking for a good recording mic that can handle both guitar and vocals equally well. Also, I'm not looking to spend more than $200. Anyone got any ideas?

I was about to suggest the SM57. Definitely what you want. Cheap, versatile, good. Buy one. Buy two. But don't buy three, that's probably too many.

I have a Peavey Pi2 that works really well for both vocals and instruments. I only paid $70 for it when a local shop closed down to move to Africa for missionary work. It normally runs around twice that mutch. Which isn't bad considering some of my other "expensive" mics. The Pi2 is really good and can take a beating. If you're looking for something really cheap but preforms well, you could just get a Radioshack brand Cardioid mic. Costs 49.95 to 85.99 depending on your style. But the cheap one works well. It's just not as durable as the $90 one. And no where near as durable as a good Peavey. So if you got the cheap one you may wish to baby it. Also, you can probably find something good from Shure at a local music store. Possibly even a used one in good condition. Basically anything from Shure or Peavey would be good.

Hope this helps even the slightest bit.

I was going to recommend finding a used Shure KSM27, which I'm pretty sure can be had for around $200 iirc. The 57 is great for guitars, but you'll have a bit of trouble getting much high-end (which I personally like to have with vocals). A nice pre-amp would help, but I'm not sure what you're working with in that respect.

I can with relative certainty say the Shure SM57 is on every single one of your favorite records (and most of the other ones too).

For close micing of guitar cabinets and snare drums, yes.

For recording vocals, no. The SM58 is better in that capacity, as it is known for its abilities to pick up high frequency transients that the human voice has.

However, save up a little more cash, you can find yourself able to purchase something like this: https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=CTM100

Because, unfortunately, if your vocals are recorded using crappy mics or using a microphone not meant for that job it's being used for, there is no way of fixing it "in the mix." It will always be your weak link in the chain.

So, for a little extra cash, you can purchase your SM57 to record your guitars, and also have a good condensor microphone to handle vocal duties, at times for less than $350 all together.

For close micing of guitar cabinets and snare drums, yes.

For recording vocals, no. The SM58 is better in that capacity, as it is known for its abilities to pick up high frequency transients that the human voice has.

However, save up a little more cash, you can find yourself able to purchase something like this: https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=CTM100

Because, unfortunately, if your vocals are recorded using crappy mics or using a microphone not meant for that job it's being used for, there is no way of fixing it "in the mix." It will always be your weak link in the chain.

It depends on what you're going for, but I agree the 57 isn't super-great for vocals unless you're going for an over-saturated, little-to-no-high-end effect that sometimes works great for hardcore for instance. On the whole, I don't think I've used a 57 more than once or twice for vocals: I'm partial to the KSM27 personally! All of the metal/screaming vocals I've recorded with that thing sound fucking phenomenal, as are clean guitars and pretty much everything else I've thrown it in front of. Good mic.

I was unaware that Carvin made mics. How are they?