Recording my 6505 without micing up, help ?

Tyrant89

New Metal Member
Jun 20, 2010
Hey guys, I decided I want to try get this to work as I am tired of my shitty gearbox guitar tone.

I got a Peavey 6505 and a Toneport UX1. But what I need is something to send the load from the 6505 into, right ? What I also got is a Randal RG75 transistor amp, and I was wondering if it may be possible to use that as a cab ?

In that case, I really need some help to plug in all this, I`ll supply a photo of the backside of both...

http://i55.tinypic.com/2wgc45k.jpg

So IF it is possible to get this done with what I got, I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me hook up all this ? :D

Woahwoahwoah! DON'T hook up your 6505 to your Randall. Unless is has a seperate input for the speaker (which it doesn't by the looks of your photo) then you'll just end up blowing shit up.

For recording your 6505 you need to either hook it up to a cab or a dummy load, and send the FX Send to the input of your Toneport.
A dummy load will allow you to record totally silently. You can build one for very little money.
You can find out how to build one in this thread. Some of the diagrams at the start are wrong! So MAKE SURE YOU READ IT ALL!

On my Krank Rev Jr. the line out is tapped off the speaker output which means you get poweramp + preamp. Ideally you'd wanna do the same with the 6505. Does the FX-send do this?

Woahwoahwoah! DON'T hook up your 6505 to your Randall. Unless is has a seperate input for the speaker (which it doesn't by the looks of your photo) then you'll just end up blowing shit up.

For recording your 6505 you need to either hook it up to a cab or a dummy load, and send the FX Send to the input of your Toneport.
A dummy load will allow you to record totally silently. You can build one for very little money.
You can find out how to build one in this thread. Some of the diagrams at the start are wrong! So MAKE SURE YOU READ IT ALL!

Thanks, then I wont do that! :p

Looks like I`ll have to either get a 2x12 cab or get myself a hotplate.

I really dont have the space for a cab right now, so does anyone have any hot plates to recommend ?

Ok here is the deal ........

Run from the DIRECT OUT on your 5150 to your Tone Port. Run a speaker cable from the speaker output to your 2x12 or 4x12. Turn the PRE volume on the channel up to where its not over modulating the tone port. Turn the POST volume down to a managable level in your house.

Now run an impulse on the 5150 preamp track after you record it and your are done.

I do this with my 5150 and the Fredman impulses ALL THE TIME.

DO NOT RUN YOUR 5150 EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER WITHOUT A CAB HOOKED UP!!!!!!!!! You can have the volume on 0 or 1 on the POST but you MUST HAVE A LOAD CONNECTED TO THE SPEAKER OUTS!!! IT MUST BE THE CORRECT OHM RATING AS WELL!!