Recording question

ShadowsWithin

Oct 27, 2005
Portland, ME
I have cool edit pro and am trying to lay down some keyboard tracks but for some reason it wont record (im running through midi) does cool edit not work for midi or am i ding somthing wrong? o have my keyboard going to my synth module and my module going to my midisport converter which then goes into my computer.

Im pretty sure, the only thing i think i might be doing wrong is the midi setup im not sure if im supposed to go midi in midi out or midi through on my converter.

EDIT: nvm i think i got that but how do i set up the midi in CEP?

People still use CEP?

Plug your synthesizer into Midi-in...

Options > Device Properties(Or whatever those fags name it these days), and your midi input/output options including controller source should be in there.

I'm a sonar bitch...

I have no clue other then what I said. The last time I used CEP was a few years ago on a friends set up, so I am completely unfamiliar with its I/O options.

Audacity is awesome... Its free and does everything the basic home user could possibly need. Also has a nice free plugins pack you can download, and works well with LAME MP3 Encoder. And it can take input from a Midi-in card. I toyed with it for quite the while.

As for the problem, one solution I thought of, since I'm infering you're using the synth module's sound banks, is from the synth module if it has a 1/8 or 1/4 output, running that directly into the regular line in on your sound card (in the case of the synth module only having a 1/4 output, using an 1/4 -> 1/8 adapter) and going that way. The sound quality won't be too much of a loss if you tweak it correctly; though that will be depending on your sound card.

CEP should have no problem capturing from there.

If you're using a VSTi or DXi (forgot if CEP even has the support) soft synth, you're gonna need the midi i/o to work.

We'll most likely be switching over to Cubase when our Mac DAW arrives. I hear with a lot of memory and our Motu 828 mkII interface it has as little latency as possible. Hopefully this shall be the case!

the only thing i need to find is an easy drum creater, fruityloop is a pain in the ass, any suggestions Eric?

Hmm... I use Drumkit from hell superior. It costs out the ass, but the results are amazing. Downside - Takes 1 hard drive for samples alone.

Another one I use is Drumcore, but its more associated with loop work, and doesn't have as much freedom as I would love. Also takes up shitloads of space.

I'll have to get back to you on cheap/easy/don't take up 60+ gigabytes alternatives.

Cubase can be a BITCH at first. So many different combinations of sounds, vst's, knobs. But with practice you could record masterpieces. Takes a LOT of ram to run. 512mb i believe

As for drums, leaf drums or acid pro.

If Reason 3.0 were a bit cheaper, I'd suggest that with the Reason Drumkit Refill 2.0... but at 500 for reason and 130 for the drumkit refill, its a bit overbudget for most.

If you're into 909 type shit (electronica), Hammerhead is a great free program for that. Sadly, its only for 909 type samples.

Most of the free/cheap drum trackers are like that, though. The few that let you import samples are pretty shittily made UI wise.

Audacity is awesome... Its free and does everything the basic home user could possibly need. Also has a nice free plugins pack you can download, and works well with LAME MP3 Encoder. And it can take input from a Midi-in card. I toyed with it for quite the while.

As for the problem, one solution I thought of, since I'm infering you're using the synth module's sound banks, is from the synth module if it has a 1/8 or 1/4 output, running that directly into the regular line in on your sound card (in the case of the synth module only having a 1/4 output, using an 1/4 -> 1/8 adapter) and going that way. The sound quality won't be too much of a loss if you tweak it correctly; though that will be depending on your sound card.

CEP should have no problem capturing from there.

If you're using a VSTi or DXi (forgot if CEP even has the support) soft synth, you're gonna need the midi i/o to work.
Thats what I originally did I recorded black diamond with it and sounded good i was just wondering if there was another way to record it because i used a speaker chord and ran it through an adapter to my amp and now my amp if fuked up. i just didnt want that to happen to my module or my sound card (which it might have because when i plug in the chord to bthe sound card i get the buzzing noise i got out of my amp).

plus I tried recording that way again last night and it piced up the backing track and it sounded shitty, i dunno if im running i through the wrong port or it has to do with the possible fucking up of my sound card.

I torrented that last night and it was WAY over my head, i couldnt even find the place to record. i thought it was synth software which I dont need because i got all the sounds i need out of my JV-1080.