Recording quick demos with budget gear

digitaldeath

Dec 7, 2008
Waterford, Ireland
Hey guys - so I dragged my laptop around to a mate's place the other day as he wanted to quickly throw down some ideas he had. His guitar was a complete piece of shit so I got him to use my piece of shit guitar (which is still slightly better than his!) Either way, it's a cheap Epiphone with stock passive pups.
This was plugged into the instrument input on an M-Audio Fast Track Pro and we connected shitty computer speakers.
God, this guys playing was untight as fuck and he's no sense of timing. His ideas ended up sounding poor especially with the constant 16th note picking and dramatic, unnecessary tempo changes. The 16th notes were made worse by how he was holding the pick - he was cutting and digging into the string with the edge of the pick. After a while I couldn't take it much longer and asked him to pick properly - that's the only thing I can think of that changed the guitar tone in the middle of the track (01:35). Nothing was changed, the input wasn't touched etc. Just his picking style. Go figure!
So once that was done, I pulled out my cheap earbuds and programmed some drums quickly over what he'd done and put together a quick mix.
Slate Drums prob would have made the drums pop a lot more, but hey, you work with what you got!
So I basically made the track loud as fuck after that (prob way too loud) and he seemed happy. Not bad for a few hours work on the cheap.

So anyways, with all this in mind - what could I have done to make this sound even better given the many constraints? There's only programmed drums and ampsim guitars here (no bass), but I'd appreciate any tips you could give that'd help me bang out better sounding, budget demos like this for other guitarists who just want to lay down some rough ideas. And please forgive the Glitch intro - guitarists can be so easily amused! :rolleyes:

http://stashbox.org/858613/Song1.mp3

It does indeed sound good, maybe guitars could do with more gain, they tend to sound pretty undergained in parts, (especially for palm mutes) but maybe that may be just the pickups. I'm not sure if its undergained or just a lil thick on the bottom end, I'm guessing if there bass guitar there it might sound different. Not fucking bad at all though, definitely not as bad as I thought it would be after reading your description ;)

It does indeed sound good, maybe guitars could do with more gain, they tend to sound pretty undergained in parts, (especially for palm mutes) but maybe that may be just the pickups. I'm not sure if its undergained or just a lil thick on the bottom end, I'm guessing if there bass guitar there it might sound different. Not fucking bad at all though, definitely not as bad as I thought it would be after reading your description ;)

Cheers man, yeah I'd imagine that the stock passive pickups really aren't helping the guitar tone at all. And I'd imagine with some bass, it defo would sound much better!
I'm just finding it hard to get these amp sim guitars to gel with programmed drums, they still have a very "demo" sound to 'em, if ya get what I mean?

well i also thought it would be MUCH worse after reading your post :)
tbh, i kinda like the percussiveness of the 16th notes...guitar tone goes downhill after that 1:35 mark IMHO.

well i also thought it would be MUCH worse after reading your post :)
tbh, i kinda like the percussiveness of the 16th notes...guitar tone goes downhill after that 1:35 mark IMHO.

Yeah, I agree dude - I actually went back to the session the other evening and played around with different amp sims and impulses, nothing would get it sounding right. I know the guitar is pretty poor, but at the moment it's hard for me to tell if it's how I'm dialing the sims or if I really just am trying to polish a turd!
I might get someone to reamp the DIs for me just to see how well they can get it sounding through a real amp.

Well to be fair man, I've never been happy with any sound I've got from an amp sim, I always go back to a real amp, so this is still really impressive for amp sims, much better than I ever got ;)