Recording

Seansi

New Metal Member
Apr 28, 2008
www.myspace.com
Hey, I'm recording my band, just some roughs.
I'm equiped with a US-122, A condenser mic, and a bunch of average vocal mics, including a SM57 [snare drum].

what would the best prog be for recording 2 guitars / drums / bass ?
discuss plz

My friend has all the recording softwares like logic, pro tools and such. Hes recording me soon but I am concerned that without the effects pedals that I plan to buy, I wont get the best tones on the recordings. My question is: Since he can record me straight in to the computer, can he digitally put effects in the guitar tracks? thanks

My friend has all the recording softwares like logic, pro tools and such. Hes recording me soon but I am concerned that without the effects pedals that I plan to buy, I wont get the best tones on the recordings. My question is: Since he can record me straight in to the computer, can he digitally put effects in the guitar tracks? thanks

yes...but i suggest to use pedals, if you care about your tone anyways.

Most pro artists don't use any pedals in the studio. It's guitar > amp > mic > mixer most of the time. Occasionally they'll use an overdrive or boost pedal to tighten up the amp.

It is best to put effects in post. If you care about your tone anyways.

Most pro artists don't use any pedals in the studio. It's guitar > amp > mic > mixer most of the time. Occasionally they'll use an overdrive or boost pedal to tighten up the amp.

Guitar > Processor > Mixer. No pedals required, and I wouldn't recommend it in my set up or the more common one you mentioned.

yeah. and if he has something like amplitube, you're all set, since it includes all sorts of amps, pedals, rack mounted effects, etc.

Is there a specific reason you personally attack everyone who posts their preferences? I PREFER PEDALS THEY ARE UNIQUE AND MORE ORGANIC SOUNDING, THEY ALSO DONT SOUND LIKE DIGITAL SLUDGE, and who cares what pos "pro" artists you try to emulate, I have heard your recordings and they are shit at best, chill out son.

Is there a specific reason you personally attack everyone who posts their preferences? I PREFER PEDALS THEY ARE UNIQUE AND MORE ORGANIC SOUNDING, THEY ALSO DONT SOUND LIKE DIGITAL SLUDGE, and who cares what pos "pro" artists you try to emulate, I have heard your recordings and they are shit at best, chill out son.

What he posted was not an attack, simply a statement of a couple of facts. Most recordings are made with effects added afterwards since most pedal effects are easy to emulate digitally and easier to control than most of the effects pedals on the markets. The flaws of most pedal effects are obvious when you're listening in the microscopic conditions of a recording situation.

Also, if you record with the effects through the amp and you don't like the way it sounds later, you're stuck with that sound on the master recording, whereas if you recorded it straight and added effects after the recording, you can go back and take it off that track or replace it with an effect you like more prior to mixing.

What he posted was not an attack, simply a statement of a couple of facts. Most recordings are made with effects added afterwards since most pedal effects are easy to emulate digitally and easier to control than most of the effects pedals on the markets. The flaws of most pedal effects are obvious when you're listening in the microscopic conditions of a recording situation.

Also, if you record with the effects through the amp and you don't like the way it sounds later, you're stuck with that sound on the master recording, whereas if you recorded it straight and added effects after the recording, you can go back and take it off that track or replace it with an effect you like more prior to mixing.

its all good and i didnt say anything about his advice.. do what you like is what i said, and i like pedals.

yes...but i suggest to use pedals, if you care about your tone anyways.

but see when i post something and he ended it in the same wording like he did, well that was done in some cocky lurk/bashing way, and i wanted to see if he liked me attacking him aswell. :D cheers!

its all good and i didnt say anything about his advice.. do what you like is what i said, and i like pedals.

but see when i post something and he ended it in the same wording like he did, well that was done in some cocky lurk/bashing way, and i wanted to see if he liked me attacking him aswell. :D cheers!

Come on dude grow up :p YOU used the cocky phrase "If you care about your tone anyway" first, as though people who record in other ways just don't give a damn about tone. Lighten up and laugh at yourself sometime, its good for you.

Okay...regardless of the quality of the music, the sound on matt's recordings is good, and if you're challenging that then you might need to get your ears checked.

I've recorded using just an amp, amp and pedal, and DI (the mic I used was really good, btw). DI sounds best, then the amp alone, with a pedal on it sounds awful. Organically awful, sure, but...ughh.

Question: How do you get a nice tight sound on the double bass when recording? My drummer has a single bass drum with double pedals and its always sounded really muffled and way too bassy when we record it. I want a good tight sound, Decapitated is a perfect example of how I would like it to sound.