Redeye re-amp vs. live comparison

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
I did a comparison between a live performance (guitar into Redeye, with the inst. thru going to my TS7 and then Dual Rec) and then re-amping those same DI's with the same cables and routing. I had to drop the gain a bit on the re-amping, probably cuz the outputs on my Onyx Satellite are +4, but I think they sound pretty much identical, and certainly would be in a mix! Here's a link to the files

Listening again, I would say the re-amp sounds ever so slightly thinner, but that could be due to a) me not dropping the gain (on the amp) quite enough and/or b) the sub-par converters in the Onyx Satellite. And once again, I HIGHLY doubt it'd be noticeable in a full mix :)

And this is news how? This is the whole point of reamping.... to keep the tone as close as possible to the original, or change it immensely. That's what makes reamping great!

Well Mr. Grumpypants, it's news about this particular unit, cuz I've never heard a comparison like this done with it :) And I'm well aware of how awesome re-amping is, believe me, that's why I bought a Redeye in the first place!

Well I already broke down the rig, so I can't right now, but I'll try to get some in tomorrow!

I think this would've been great as a blind shoot-out! I think my bias kicked in right away and I heard a bit more grain on the reamped track as soon as I put it on after the live one. I can't tell whether my mind is putting it there or whether it's actually real, but the live one does sound marginally better. With everything involved, including different gain structure, average conversion & whatnot it's amazing that the difference is only this small at the end of the day.

Yeah there is a very very slight difference in the re-amp, but its almost non existent. I'd like to hear the same test done with a cheaper unit, and one done with a piece of Radial gear.

Don't worry dude, I'm working on that one ;) Planning a big DI shootout first, and then a re-amper test after. Also, I've never heard the differences converters make firsthand, but since I doubt they ones in the Onyx are exactly fantastic, I'd imagine the signal having to go through a whole 'nother D/A and A/D stage might account for the difference in sound...maybe?

Don't worry dude, I'm working on that one ;) Planning a big DI shootout first, and then a re-amper test after. Also, I've never heard the differences converters make firsthand, but since I doubt they ones in the Onyx are exactly fantastic, I'd imagine the signal having to go through a whole 'nother D/A and A/D stage might account for the difference in sound...maybe?

This should be one of the most interesting shootouts done here yet. I can't wait to hear the results!

I think the need for a preamp to bump up the guitar tracks to line level would be accounting for more of the thinness than the converters. The raw guitar signal is going through a bunch of processes it's not supposed to, so I suppose some degradation is expected. I would expect with a world class chain that the differences would be virtually inaudible. One thing I find odd is the inductance, impedance and all those electrical factors that seem to play off each other when a guitar is plugged right into an amp. Apparently most reamps can only hope to emulate that relationship and as a consequence most of them 'model' certain types of pickups. Strange.

Yeah there is a very very slight difference in the re-amp, but its almost non existent. I'd like to hear the same test done with a cheaper unit, and one done with a piece of Radial gear.

I guess you never saw the one I did with my ProRMP then? Enjoy.

~006

cool thread. check this one out i posted a couple of weeks ago. details in the thread.

Reamp Test Quality Loss(clips inside)

006 helped me out. I always have heard a difference from the original to the reamp..even in the mix. I always thought the original was better in many ways. But in 006's thread..his reamp does sound better in a way than his originals...which just confuses me even more..haha.

I've also reamped through a cheapo unit to hear the difference also..and i think you'll hear the difference.

I think the need for a preamp to bump up the guitar tracks to line level would be accounting for more of the thinness than the converters. The raw guitar signal is going through a bunch of processes it's not supposed to, so I suppose some degradation is expected. I would expect with a world class chain that the differences would be virtually inaudible. One thing I find odd is the inductance, impedance and all those electrical factors that seem to play off each other when a guitar is plugged right into an amp. Apparently most reamps can only hope to emulate that relationship and as a consequence most of them 'model' certain types of pickups. Strange.

This makes sense. I know at least with passive pickups, output impedance is way higher for high frequencies.