Rediscovered April Ethereal

JoeVice

Jul 6, 2003
Murdock, NE
Visit site
for those of you who know a bit of theory, this might be easier to understand. the opening riff to april is just 3 minor chords. they have the tonic, the 3rd, and the fifth...wow, amazing.....anyway...instead of listening to the bassline and the root note of that chord progression as the tonic,(the root of the chords...the one that you usually hum when trying to hum a chord) i listented to the third as the tonic...which completely changed the feel of the song...it fucking melted me...its now one of my top five favorite opeth riffs...(number on being the outro to that same song)...

if you guys understand what i am trying to say, you should give it a shot...its sort of an illusion...it makes the chords seem like some crazy (but simple) inversions. i don't know if the song was was intended to have this feel, but it sure is cool.

then i listened more closely to the vocal chord at the very beginning, and it made more since...it sort of set it up for that.

if you don't understand, just post and call me a fucking wierdo.

Yeah, for me this was the case with Vehemence's Kill For God, the main riff of that song (verse) is so fucking cool, but for the longest time I didn't really "hear" it, it just sounded like some death metal mush to me, but now it's my favorite Vehemence song because the melodies finally come through my ears on that fucking killer riff.

Really? I got that Vehemence part instantly. Or could've been from John posting the tab and learning how to play it.. but whatever, it's a cool part nonetheless.

There are alot of Opeth riffs that are hidden in mush and you only realize the individual beauty once you isolate them or play them yourself. One such entire part is the acoustic guitar part on Face of Melinda.

I actually didn't remember the closing riff to "april ethereal" until I "rediscoverd" the song I guess a few months ago. Man...what a huge tragic riff...I love it.

Alternative 3 said:
I have no real idea what you are talking about but April Ethereal kicks ass to play on guitar.

I think he's talking about the depth of Opeths music and that after repeat listens you can pick up parts of songs that you've never really noticed before.....and you just go WOW!

April Ethereal has always been one of my favorites, especially the 3/4 time section of it (and the 3/4 in the amen corner as well). The more i listen to Opeth the more things my ears pick up. All the more reason for liking the albums better the more youve heard it. I never ever get sick of em, always sounds fresh and new, even tho i have every note and harmony of every song engrained in my skull. oh, man... i love their music too damn much, it's simply amazing... im so glad i accidentally stumbled upon this band a few years ago. Totally changed my life (and thats just because music is my life =P) and has changed my influences on writing music and my taste for music. Nothin can touch these guys. Hats off.

i really need to learn alot of the techincal side of music :) i'm sure i've stumbled upon writing riffs that are in weird timings, but it'd be nice to actually know what i'm doing. i've tried to pick it up here and there, but it hasn't really clicked...

anyway, april ethereal is probably my favourite opeth song. so beautiful/agressive/sad.. i love it \m/

I hear what you're talking about, but I'm pretty sure it's an effected electric guitar, and your hearing string noise as either Mikael or Peter switches hand positions.