Reduce bleed from snare and toms?

OrderedAudio

Jul 25, 2011
Anyone know techniques i could use to minimize bleed from the kit so i can Drumagog out the files without false triggers but keep the triggers accurate?
I've been putting 57's on all the kit
tips or ideas please?
I'm thinking about investing in the dDrum trigger pack but i don't know how they really work or how well they work

invest in the ddrum trigger pack. they work great!! just received mine today and don´t know how i could live without them. :) (the one with xlr of course-not the cheap ones)

I usually put a noise-gate on. Then High and low pass the shizznit out of each seperate drum, then manually cut out any excess noise that drumagog picks up. It usually only works if I'm trying to trigger stuff 100% as you have pretty much just killed the original drum sound after doing these things.

If you wanna mix a sample with the original drum sound to say 50% I guess don't noise-gate so harshly and make the high and low passes quite wide.

I'm pretty much a noob btw so feel free to ignore this.:L

Strip silence. Then listen to the track to make sure you got everything. Then go region to region and trim them to the proper point.

As you mentioned you wanna blend the samples. Copy the tracks you wanna replace and blend these in along side your originals.

On the copies tracks, strip silence. Then high pass, low pass to eliminate spill. If this doesnt work, boost a notch on the most prominent frequency of each drum to replace. If that still dosent work go through and normalise all the transients by hand. Mind numbing process I know. Also if you have to do this much work, I'd read up on microphone techniques again, I've never had a miced track that I've had to work on that much.

I'm thinking about investing in the dDrum trigger pack but i don't know how they really work or how well they work

Invest, alot of people sway more to Roland triggers though. Do some research.

They simply send clicks everytime the drum is hit, these are then easily replaced because of the outright transient produced, if sample replacing is your main plan for drum recording this is the way to go.

Go with the Roland triggers. The ddrum ones work extremely well, but break waaaayyy to easily. I have a drawer full of broken ones(over 10). I even started just buying the replacement parts and soldering them on there myself, but those break even faster. Once i bought a set of Roland, i stopped messing with the ddrum crap. I havent had a single Roland trigger break on me so far.

Go with the Roland triggers. The ddrum ones work extremely well, but break waaaayyy to easily. I have a drawer full of broken ones(over 10). I even started just buying the replacement parts and soldering them on there myself, but those break even faster. Once i bought a set of Roland, i stopped messing with the ddrum crap. I havent had a single Roland trigger break on me so far.

This.

Gone through multiple Ddrum triggers that either stop working, spaz out with crazy noises/mistriggering from the source, or just break physically from use.

Granted, Roland are more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Triggers perfectly and hasn't had a single issue.

Guys, has anyone here had any experience with DrumDial triggers? I've seen some good reviews about them, and they are pretty cheap.

Use something like a transient designer to bring down the sustain. This will take care of much of the washy bleed.

Then use something like ReaFIR or a resonant filter to get a good signal on the tone of the drum.

Then there is the boring method to just paste in the individual hits manually. Listen to what is being played on the drum and try to mimic it with different velocity samples. It takes some time, but when it's done it's done.