Redwirez vs. free impulses (God's Cab etc.)

Dec 10, 2012
Washington, DC
Sorry if people have asked this before, but is it worth it dropping money ($50 for mixIR2 plus the cost of the impulses) for Redwirez impulses versus just using the ones in the Great Impulses file that was posted here a while ago? I'm already getting a pretty good sound with God's Cab, but if it's dramatically better then I'm certainly open to it.

I really like RedWirez impulses because when you buy a pack, or download the free Marshall cab pack they offer, you get a ton of mic options as well as mic placement options. I think they sound really good. I don't know much about mix IR2 other than it's drag and drop or menu navigation. Each RW ir pack has a ton of ir's in it so what I find works great for me, and keeps you from having to navigate large menus is this: http://acmebargig.com/product/iface/ I face allows you to just pick a cab, pick a mic, and just drag the mic in the gui. It automatically switches the corresponding ir's..I love it. iFace also allows you to load external (your fav free ir's) but for those you load them through a menu not in the draggable interface. It also allows you to combine different impulses, mix them and then create a custom ir from those selected. I'm sure mixIR2 is great but I think iFace is a great alternative and costs less.

God's Cab is awesome as well as Catharsis ir's and many others!! Tons of options :)

~scott

I was under the impression that Redwirez used proprietary file types that didn't work in other loaders and only worked in mixIR2, but I'm glad to hear that isn't the case. Thanks for the info! Now that I know that, do you have any recommendations for a starting point for a particular RedWirez IR pack?

edit: DAMMIT that iFace software doesn't work on OS X. Boooooo

Check for the free Marshall pack, should be here, just need to give your email for dl link I believe.
http://www.redwirez.com/free1960g12m25s.jsp

It's a good way to start since it's free. I have that Marshall and have bought an Engl 4x12 pack, a Mesa, Orange, and Peavey 5150 packs. I like them all for different reasons so it depends on what you are into. Probably some examples on youtube? I like mixing and playing around with them. I posted this last night using the X50 and Orange RW cabs. I'm not the greates with eq but might give you an idea. http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/backline/852214-tse-x50-v1-0-a-5.html

I'm sure others here with more experience than me could give ya some more feedback on the RedWirez stuff. I sugested it because it just happens to my pref.

~scott

This one is the same di's I got from this forum with different cabs. I didn't save it in Reaper but I think that I used God's cab (if it wasn't it may have been RedWires Mesa) and Orange on this. I feel stupid that I didn't save the preset/project :( but it sounds completely different with different cab ir's mixed together in iFace. There is post eq on the examples both on the guitars and the master chan. Just me playing around and trying to learn all this cray stuff lol.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22162209/Rose DIs X50 test.mp3

~scott

Oh crap sorry!! Didn't realize you were on osx :(

Haha it's okay, I know I should have a Windows machine for the vast majority of all recording software but I'm a grad student so Macs are the logical choice for stability and ease of use. :)

edit: thanks for the Kalthallen recs. I checked out the website and they look great. Once I get back from christmas vacation I'll be sure to download them!

If the software I prefer was available for Mac I'd own a Mac for sure, great machines!

it seems like people are just finding new ways of creating IR's these days, it feels like there will be a new wave of great IR's coming soon!

check out the Ownhammer V2 beta IR's, they sound incredibly good compared to the V1 ones and other "old school" IR libraries.

i also highly recommend RECABINET 3, it works on mac also IIRC!

Yeah OWNHAMMER is what I'd suggest you guys to check out.

Redwirez is good but somehow it was very hard for me to find a good mic position. I think they didn't use their ears but eyes for the mic positions but offer many positions to choose from. I just got pissed when I thought the sweet spot mic position would've been inbetween the mic positions they had. :) If you've got Mesa Redwirez then the Lawson mic was the BOMB in that pack.

Redwirez is good but somehow it was very hard for me to find a good mic position. I think they didn't use their ears but eyes for the mic positions but offer many positions to choose from. I just got pissed when I thought the sweet spot mic position would've been inbetween the mic positions they had.

This is the exact reason I began making my own IRs, and I've been doing it ever since. It's very frustrating to say the least.

In case you can't find what you are looking for elsewhere, I also offer a number of high quality IR packs that will be very versatile.

I know there's a lot of really excellent ir's out there now, as a matter of fact I think I just read a post that was started by you (Jake) about your ir's. God bless you guys that know how to create this awesome stuff! :)

Clark Kent, I see there was a beta for the OWNHAMMER ir's but I missed the boat. Appears the beta has ended so I couldn't check them out. I'm sure that means something is on the horizon so I'll be looking for posts/audio samples in the (near?) future.

~scott

i recently got the "freddy" impulses from signals audio.. these are fucking great for mix n match!!
best £1.60 ive spent in a long long while!!!

talking of no brainers, 29 euros for nebula 2 ?? just add (free) Kalthallen neb cabs.. ;)

How is the CPU usage on that (nebula) these days? I've been meaning to check it out again for a while but have not had the chance. Anyways, someone a while ago told me they managed to shave a whole lot of usage off.. ?

How is the CPU usage on that (nebula) these days? I've been meaning to check it out again for a while but have not had the chance. Anyways, someone a while ago told me they managed to shave a whole lot of usage off.. ?
by all accounts they did with the v3 pro.. i'll get back to you on that one when i upgrade to it ;)
sayin that though, neb2 isnt really that taxing unless you start fucking with timed kernels.. it certainly doesn't use much cpu for a cab program..

Redwirez has some good sounds in there, but they give you so many files that its completely daunting to go through them to find the good ones.