Regarding the two unreleased songs from the Damnation/Deliverance Sessions...

Apr 17, 2006
USA
Do any of the band members ever post here anymore? If so I was wondering if the fans are ever going to be able to hear the two unreleased tracks recorded during the Damnation/Deliverance sessions. Mikael even talks about them in the booklet of the new Ghost Reveries reissue CD/DVD set. He says there were 16 songs recorded during the sessions but only 14 made the albums.

Does anybody still have the initial song-list from the albums when they were being recorded? I remember somebody from the band posted them and I remember them having all 16 tracks listed. I sort of remember Soldier of Fortune being one of them...so I wonder why they had to re-record it for the new Ghost Reveries deluxe edition instead? Maybe it wasn't finished? Perhaps Roadrunner couldn't get the rights to it?

If anybody could clear any of this up that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

The two tracks not put on Deliverance or Damnation have never surfaced. They will never be heard. I am as bummed as you are.

Soldier of fortune is a cover (Deep Purple) and i'm pretty sure they haven't recorded that song for the D/D albums.

i dont think they did. and im pretty sure the track listing for the 2 unreleased songs was never posted, or else that would be a shock to me.

i dont think they did. and im pretty sure the track listing for the 2 unreleased songs was never posted, or else that would be a shock to me.

No believe me they were. When the guys had just finished in the studio, they had posted the song lists for both albums. Deliverance had the six tracks on it, and I remember Damnation having 10 tracks, one being the Soldier of Fortune cover. I never kept the lists though because up until then Opeth had released everything they recorded (to my knowledge). I remember finding it strange that only 8 were on the record, and assumed that one day there would be a Damnation deluxe version or something of that nature with the two extra tracks as bonuses.

Soldier of fortune is a cover (Deep Purple) and i'm pretty sure they haven't recorded that song for the D/D albums.

I dunno...Mikael says right in the new booklet for Ghost Reveries that they had "recorded" 16 songs for the Damnation/Deliverance albums, but only 14 were released. If he said "wrote" 16 songs then I'd assume that the two bonus tracks were never recorded. But since he wrote recorded I have a feeling there are two leftover songs (one being Soldier of Fortune) from those sessions that have yet to be heard.

wth. I didn't even know about these tracks... but yeah, as said, if they still haven't shown up on an album it's either because they're original songs that they weren't happy with, or they're a couple cover songs being saved for future bonus tracks or whatever (Soldier of Fortune for example, if that was indeed one of them)

These unsurfaced songs have probably been manipulated, changed up, rewritten and bits may have ended up as parts of tracks on Ghost Reveries, who knows. Sorta like the Orchid and Morningrise bonus tracks ending up as bits of Advent and BRI.

I dunno...Mikael says right in the new booklet for Ghost Reveries that they had "recorded" 16 songs for the Damnation/Deliverance albums, but only 14 were released. If he said "wrote" 16 songs then I'd assume that the two bonus tracks were never recorded. But since he wrote recorded I have a feeling there are two leftover songs (one being Soldier of Fortune) from those sessions that have yet to be heard.

Soldier of Fortune is a cover, i seriously, seriously doubt that they would record that for an initial album release (notice they only add covers on re-releases (special editions)

They simply didnt make the cut.

BUt let me restate this, SOLDIER OF FORTUNE IS A COVER. They 're-recorded it' because they couldnt use a live version of it, and wanted to add it nonetheless as something 'extra'.

but who knows, if what someone said in that dvd topic is true, one of the d/d unreleased tracks may surface.

Soldier of Fortune is a cover, i seriously, seriously doubt that they would record that for an initial album release (notice they only add covers on re-releases (special editions)

They simply didnt make the cut.

BUt let me restate this, SOLDIER OF FORTUNE IS A COVER. They 're-recorded it' because they couldnt use a live version of it, and wanted to add it nonetheless as something 'extra'.

but who knows, if what someone said in that dvd topic is true, one of the d/d unreleased tracks may surface.

I know Soldier of Fortune is a cover. I never said it wasn't? But it was one of the two unreleased tracks they recorded during the album sessions because I remember seeing it on the initial 10-song tracklist of Damnation, before they finalized the song order and took the two songs away for the final tracklist. The original list which I can't seem to find anywhere, damn it!

But that's what is puzzling, that they never used the version of Soldier of Fortune recorded during the Damnation sessions and went back into the studio to re-record it for the new Ghost Reveries deluxe edition. My guess is that Roadrunner couldn't get the rights to it from Koch/Music For Nations, so they opted to just re-record it.

But I guess the good news is that if that's true, maybe Koch/Music For Nations have plans for Soldier of Fortune and the other unreleased track at some point. Maybe a boxset of both albums and the two extra tracks? Or a Damnation special edition? Or maybe they'll never be heard...which would be a shame. I'm sure that even Opeth's throw-away tracks are well worth hearing.

The live track of Soldier of Fortune is damn good, I wish I oculd find it on my computer :lol: