Reinstalling system - Saving Projects/Presets/Settings etc.

ruonitb

Oct 22, 2008
Hi,

I guess most of you have done that before; I'm currently working with Cubase SX on Windows XP Prof.

It feels like it's time to reinstall the whole system since I just got too much crap on it which I don't need.
The problem is that I'm currently working on a few quite important projects and I really don't want to loose any files, settings, vst-presets etc.

Obviously, the best thing would be to finish everything and then reinstall but the way my PC works at the moment is also slowing down my work on mixing etc. and it might take quite long to finish anything.

How do you do that? Do you save all your projects, audio-folders, all audio/midi/-files you used in any project and all vst folders (or maybe just all cubase folders) and then just copy them back after you reinstalled the system and cubase?

Of course I'm going to have to reinstall certain software/VST's and I'm probably gonna have to search through my audio files when I first open my projects, since they have a different path but the main thing I'm concerned about are the settings anyway.

Any advice/experience on this will help.

Best wishes. :)

Most of the time when I reformat, since I have a couple of extra drive, I just juggle between them. This means I can just have a fresh install on a new drive, and then get all my stuff from the old drive, without ever having to freak out about not forgetting anything. After I've been working a couple of weeks on the new drive and I'm sure I'm not missing anything, I just clean out the old drive.

I keep my audio files backed up on an external drive and I usually burn most of my plugins to DVD (the big ones, like Slate EX) and just re-download stuff like the LePou plugins. I don't really have any settings though, so I can't help you on that. I'd probably just back up the whole VST folder and the Cubase folder if you have enough room to spare.

::Edit:: Also, settings on current mixes should be saved with the project file. I know Sonar even puts placeholder VST plugins for the ones you haven't reinstalled yet when you open the mix on the new install.

Actuallly , i've never known where cubase keeps its presets. I guess in your appdata folder somewhere. Does anybody know off hand? THis is something I need to backup in future as I am sick of losing it too.

Edit - as suspected, they are all over the shop.