Anyone have a dual boot XP system?

Rez

Mar 4, 2008
So I'm stripping my system out over the holiday period and reinstalling XP... I'm also adding another internal drive solely for sample libraries which should make everything tidier.

I'm researching the idea of partitioning my OS drive and installing XP twice, one really stripped down with just OS and music software and the other with other bits that are needed (Wireless connection for software updates, itunes etc...)

Has anyone got any experience of doing this? I've read a few bits online and it all sounds good in theory but I don't want to have to do another reinstall if this is a crap idea. It takes ages preparing for an OS reinstall as it is what with deauthorising/reauthorising software!

You won't be able to update your music softwares from the other XP system I guess, it's linked to the original installed system and often to the original account (with no tweaking)

I'm having a dualboot XP32 (SP3) on a i7-920.

One XP with internet stuf, the usual mail/google things.
The other a slimmed down XP (148 mb on the RAM).

Works very well for me.

XP went the way of the dinosaur for me - I had a dual boot system prior to Windows 7 and after a month with it, I said goodbye XP and focused on only maintaining my Win 7 environment.

I know that if I wanted to run a piece of software on both instances of XP I would have to install it on each but I figure that I can go and download updates when I need but when I'm recording/mixing whatever all of the software and hardware that usually causes problems (itunes and wireless network have caused lots of clicking and popping in the past) will not be installed...

Does that make sense?

I run a dual boot system and it works great cuz you can strip your music XP down to the bare essentials, MASSIVE efficiency improvement in my experience. I use Paragon Partition Manager to create the proper boot manager