Pro Tools 8- Install Freezing Repeatedly!!

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
I'm sure a few people have experienced this problem before, I've gotten it almost every time in Windows 7. Basically, I made this thread about a problem I was having out of nowhere, where Pro Tools refused to load, if I clicked on the icon it would just spin the loading circle for a few seconds, then nothing. After some discussion I decided to try reinstalling, and now I'm stuck with another damn problem- the install keeps stopping at like 10%, when it gets to "installing digidesign hardware" I've tried every fix I've found on the internet, nothing works. To be honest I'd love to be able to remember how I got this shit working the last few times I had to reinstall it. So if anyone knows of a fix, I'd love to hear it! I even tried disabling the driver signing thing Windows 7 has in the boot options.

PT 8 isn't compatible with Win 7, officially. I've been having a problem with random dropouts and seeking issues that I didn't have with XP, same PT version...

Upgrade, man, upgrade. I just sprung for the PT10 (upgrade from LE) but alas, I can't get SP1 installed (it keeps failing) so I'm going to have to do a fresh install and hope that works.

PT 8 isn't compatible with Win 7, officially. I've been having a problem with random dropouts and seeking issues that I didn't have with XP, same PT version...

Upgrade, man, upgrade. I just sprung for the PT10 (upgrade from LE) but alas, I can't get SP1 installed (it keeps failing) so I'm going to have to do a fresh install and hope that works.

I had it working on Win 7 for over 2 years... I just need to remember how to get past this hiccup. Never had too many problems specific to Windows 7 once it was installed. I definitely do want to upgrade (mostly so I don't need the dedicated PT hardware) but I don't have the spare cash at the moment.

Alright guys, I really need some help here. Still have had no luck and I've tried every solution I've found on the internet. I need to get this up and running again because I need to edit guitars to send out to Ermz for reamping in the next week or so. If anyone has an idea, I'd really appreciate it!

If I'm not wrong a straight PT 8.0 is nt working, tried with an update?
DUC is your friend anyway, I found better solutions over there than here.

I tried DUC first, got absolutely no answer in two days, hate that forum. Don't I need the base Pro Tools installed before doing any update? I actually found the 8.05 update on my hdd and tried installing from that, but it said I needed to have the base PT installed

Don't know if it's related, but a few other programs randomly have decided to stop opening on my PC. I have no idea what is causing this and its frustrating as hell...

If you have an editing deadline, you can save your ass by installing reaper, setting it up quickly for slip editing, and solve your PT problem when you have the time

At your point I would do a clean format and install of your windows, if it's acting weird.

If you have an editing deadline, you can save your ass by installing reaper, setting it up quickly for slip editing, and solve your PT problem when you have the time

At your point I would do a clean format and install of your windows, if it's acting weird.

Yeah, I'm at that point... I was really wanting to avoid this but I see no other choice here. How can I back up my Pro Tools plugins settings, so that when I open it back up I won't have to reconfigure everything?

Also, is Reaper free?

The most frustrating this about this is that I remember having this install freeze problem a while ago, and I conquered it somehow, I just can't remember what I did. Maybe I'll try emailing Avid about it, I think they might have helped me out with this last time. If they can't help me I'll reinstall windows.

Dont know what you mean for your plugin settings, save them in a folder ?

Reaper is not really free : you can download it for free, and use 100% of it, you are supposed to pay for it (around 40e) after 30 days, eventhough the software still works. It's only fair to support them and buy it and get a license, 40e is a joke.

Only thing I'm worried about is, what if I go through all this, and I still have this problem installing? I'm amazed no one on this forum has run into this issue, seems pretty prevalent on other forums...