relative kick and snare levels in Andy's mixes?

hmmm i think since everysong is different , therre should be no relative levels to each other and u should mix to suit a different song

i find a/b ing songs thruout mixing often takes away from the song.....it is useful as a quick check here and there for inexperienced mixers but if u keep trying to copy what someone else has done for another song , ur song is gonna suffer because it has so many different elements

well, i don't think your problem is the kick - snare thing!
the overheads and hh is way too low in the mix - it sounds too static!
the toms sound like they do not belong to the kit - too boomy and unprocessed!
there are some double hits of the snare, too!
the kick is too triggered sounding for my taste - too much low end and just some very high click at above 8 khz or so . try to add some more click at the 4-6 khz region and filter some deep frequencies out !

there is too much energy in the lows of the bassdrum, so every limiter will shut down!

:loco:

Keiffer said:
for shits and grins, try this if you haven't already, line up four compressors with each: Attk: 30ms: Rel: 15 to 50ms Ratio: ~ 2:1 Makeup:1db and adjust Threshold for about 1db compression. You're getting about 4db of compression but no one compressor is working very hard. This is a great way to raise level with virtually no side-effects. This also works great with very long Attk (120ms) and Release (1500ms) times on your Stereo Buss and just before a limiter...

kp-

RNC! Super Nice Mode!

Hey Dave, I've learned, putting a blanket over the kick will help with "kick in the OH and snare", along with gating and comp going in. I've tried (Once) the "Machine" technique of hitting drums only, then tracking cymbals only. It's a never ending battle, bro. Super nice works real good! Chek out the Guide to recording drums thread on this forum.

Yeah dude, I still have it! It's a Supreme 160. For years, I wouldn't touch a tube head. They just didn't have that GHUN GHUN GHUN!, right out of the box, like the solid state shit. I looked inside of it one time and found out it was manufactured on 10/31/01! It's got a little extra evil in it!:Smokedev: