Remember Katagory V? We're back (sort of), and we need your help!

Met-Al

Oct 12, 2004
Hi, folks!

Glenn, if you feel this thread belongs in the lounge area, feel free to move it. I'm just trying to do my part to give this as much visibility as possible.

For those who don't know the story, I joined the Salt Lake City-based progressive/power metal band Katagory V in 2008. Over the next three years, we went through a number of lineup changes, wrote a bunch of songs, and painstakingly recorded what was supposed to be the band's fifth album, "Resurrect The Insurgence." Because we lost some key members along the way, founder Dustin Mitchell had to build a new studio from the ground up in order to make this album a reality. Add to that a handful of flights for yours truly to go back and forth between Chicago and Utah as well as a beautiful mixing and mastering job from none other than Dennis Ward, and you have an album that has so far cost a lot of money to make.

Unfortunately, due to a combination of factors (namely major life changes such as divorce, hospitalization for life-threatening illnesses, and the acquisition of new homes), the costs of artwork, a proper layout, pressing, and distribution of the album have been far too great for us to take the final steps in getting it released. We were hoping that a label would be interested in picking it up so that we could at least not have to worry about the pressing and/or distribution, but labels are very hesitant to take a chance on bands these days. It didn't help that the band's last three albums didn't quite make the splash in this scene that may have otherwise convinced these labels to give us a shot.

Sometimes, a band needs time to find the right musicians and develop their sound over a string of albums in order to find the correct formula. I've always enjoyed this band's music, and I'm never one to toot my own horn, but I truly believe that the lineup that came together after I joined the group was the strongest and most versatile one in the band's history. Not only do I think that this album bears the trademarks that fans of the band have come to know and love, but it also covers a lot of new territory that the band previously never dared to cross.

This album was finished three years ago, and it has yet to see the light of day. The frustration of being so close to accomplishing our goal eventually led us to the point where we just severed the lines of communication between us. After a good two years apart, we reconciled and came to the conclusion that what we created is too special to scrap.

This is why I'm coming to you, the ProgPower community, today. On Friday, June 20th, the band will launch an Indiegogo campaign in hopes of raising $5,000 to give this album the proper release it deserves. We came up with some perks that we hope will appeal to you. I think we kept things pretty reasonable, i.e., no $2,000 dollar perks to have the band play in your basement or something.

We want to let it be known that we don't exactly like the idea of soliciting money. In fact, this was actually the last thing we wanted to do to get this album out. This post has already gone longer than I had originally planned, so I'll spare you any further explanations for our decision and simply ask you to visit the Indiegogo page once it's up to read more.

For those of you who would like to know what you're getting before making a decision to pledge any money to us, we have two songs up for your listening enjoyment: "Far Too Long" and "I Am Change." These tunes can be found on our Reverbnation page as well as our Facebook page. If you like what you hear, you can expect roughly an hour's worth of music of the same quality.

Believe it or not, there are people on this forum who know me that don't know that I've already released two full-length albums with other projects over the last three-and-a-half years. However, though I like the songs on those albums, I feel that the finished products left a lot to be desired. Thus, I never mentioned those albums in these parts. With this album, though, I can say with full confidence that I'm proud of what this band accomplished. This is why I'm giving such a long-winded written lecture. I hope you can forgive me.

As stated above, the campaign begins on June 20th. I'll post a link to the page as soon as it goes live. The last day to submit a pledge will be August 18th. For those of you who have supported the albums of the previous lineups, we thank you and hope you will come back for more. For those of you who may have been disappointed by past efforts, we urge you to give us one more chance; you may be pleasantly surprised. For those who have never heard us before, we hope our music can find a new home with you. Thanks ever so much for reading, and please spread the word if you like what you hear.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Excellent news! I know from talking to Dustin in the past how much blood, sweat, and emotion were put into the creation of this album. I'm excited to hear it. Count me in!

I admire the effort you guys are putting into finishing this CD and will be happy to donate once the Indiegogo link goes live.

Best regards,
Joe

Thank you Albie for posting :kickass:

For those that don't want (or have yet) to click over to facebook and/or reverbnation and need that instant gratification here in the thread... these are two songs from the unreleased album.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U238RryM7yk&list=UUwahBcyDLRqI_FTlNEI8Fbg[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRdTv96sjDo&list=UUwahBcyDLRqI_FTlNEI8Fbg[/ame]

Feedback? thoughts?

As Al mentioned, link to the campaign coming Friday evening ...enjoy.

:cool:

This album is REALLY good, and you can ask Dustin - I've been badgering him on and off for the last few years to get the damn thing released. I wouldn't pester the poor guy if I didn't believe in this album.

Listen to the songs and judge for yourself.

Okay, folks! Now's the time!

Here's the link to the campaign:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-katagory-v-resurrect-the-latest-album-and-get-it-released

We appreciate any support you can offer. Even if you don't have the money (which is understandable in these times), if you like what we've leaked thus far, feel free to share this information anywhere you think it will help.

On another note, thanks to Ian, Joe, Charles (new blood! Great!), Deron, and Gene for the support! It's folks like you who keep this scene alive!

I'll check back periodically to give status reports and remind everyone of the deadline. Thanks again!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Hey Albert,

I plan to contribute, but not sure which amount because I have a question on the "perks" on the IndieGoGO site…

The column on the right, listing all the perks, makes it sound like a $15 contribution puts your name in the liner notes (that part's clear), but sounds like you simply are on a pre-order list to get the CD. Not that you actually *get* a CD for your $15, but that you're simply on the list to be able to pre-order it (for an amount not specified on the page).

But then at the bottom of the text, it says "Tier 2: $15+ gets you a copy of the new album + free shipping to anywhere in the world". That sounds pretty darned clear that the $15 does indeed get you a copy of the disc…but doesn't mention that you also get your name in the liner notes.

So, which is it? I'm guessing the second one, but if so, you *really* should update the column on the right to make it more clear…a lot of people won't read the whole thing and may think (as I did) that $15 gets your name in the liner notes and the *option* to pre-order for an additional amount.

Also, on the right, the $25 amount makes it sound like you get the liner notes name, CD, *and* a T-shirt (if 50% exceed)…but at the bottom it sounds like just the T-shirt (lier notes name not mentioned).

Might be worth a review to make sure the lists are consistent and more clear.

Later!

Craig

I need a level of $250 out there too if you can add that (maybe a drumhead signed by the guys, otherwise no additional super perks necessary for me). $50 just isn't gonna get it (let's raise some freakin' $!).

edit: Add in a $100 and a $250 level. Maybe for the $250, you're a "Golden Shower Sponsor" (ok, well, you know what I mean) in the liner notes. Whatever. If you make it a $270 level, then those are your possible elite "5%'s" (I'm down for that). Just throwing out idea$... (5%'s get the band to drop by and fuck up their house!)

Craig - Thanks for pointing that out! Thankfully, Albert is the campaign editor. When he reads your post and has a free moment, I am sure he will look things over and edit the main page so that it is more understandable. sadly, it won't let us edit the perk itself, and Indiegogo only allows so many words to describe the perks on the right side of the page, so we had to condense it down. We can and will clarify it more in the body of the campaign.

As for the $15 perk - The quick answer: Yes, it's the 2nd statement you made - the pre-order means you will get the actual disc AND your name in the liner notes if we meet our goal amount.

The $25 perk - it is indeed for your name in the liner notes, the CD and IF we exceed $7500 - a limited edition T shirt. We have to exceed $7500 for the T-shirts to happen.

Deron - correct, it is NOT an immediate delivery. Once we get the funding from Indiegogo, (which we are not sure of how long that will take on their end), there is the usual lead time for getting the graphics/artwork completed and the pressing of the CD itself. I would assume that they would ship out within 60 days of when the campaign ends IF we succeed. At least, that is what we can hope for.

Charles - wicked cool idea! I will look into that and get with Bizzaro. Thankfully we can still ADD perks while the campaign is rolling.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Everything that Dustin wrote above is indeed correct. Unfortunately, it's hard for me to do "extracurricular" stuff online while I'm at work. I'm just sneaking this post in while I'm on my lunch break! As soon as I can sit down at my computer at home, I'll take a good look at editing the page so that the text is not misleading.

By the way, Charles, we're thrilled that you would be willing to pledge such a large amount! To be honest, we wanted to keep the perks within a reasonable amount of money so as not to get ahead of ourselves. After all, the last album's sales were not too great. Thus, we figured it would be hard enough to get enough folks to pay $15 for the CD, let alone be willing to give us more money for any crazy perks! The funny thing is that we started to come up with some really good ideas in the eleventh hour, but at that point, it was too late to work out the logistics of those possibilities. We'll see what we can do in the meantime.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Hey, you guys do what you think best. Again, just throwing out ideas (some of my ideas are really stupid). I think I can pledge the $50 and manually increase the amount afterwards (I know I've done that before on KickStarter projects).

The text portion of the page is now fixed. As Dustin stated in his last post, we can't change the text on the side that features the perks now that quantities of those perks have been claimed. However, we do have the option to add more perks, so you may get that "home makeover" after all, Charles! I'll talk to the other guys as soon as I can to see what we can do.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Thanks Craig and J-Dub!!! Very much appreciate your help - love you guys!

The $30 bootleg DVD perk is now SOLD OUT.

Charles, we are take your ideas into heavy consideration, and are currently working on some additonal perks that should be around your price range - we hope for them to be up within the next day or two.