Remote Mixing/Editing

SethTheGreat

Feb 22, 2010
Gainesville, TX
I've been searching for a legit way to mix/edit on my PC at home while I'm at work. I was looking for ANY way to transfer real time audio playing from my PC at home to either my PC here, or my iPhone.

I have been using RDP (Windows Remote Desktop) for a long time for this purpose. It works alright for general setting up of a project, routing, plugins you know you will use (setting up Slate VTM or VCC and setting levels, etc...)

Obviously I can't do any serious mixing/editing though due to the terrible latency and 8-bit audio quality (which actually jumps even lower when there is something moving on-screen)

Just wanted to share that I just created two Skype accounts, set up my Fireface 400 to monitor the output, and am successfully editing with (near) zero latency over a Skype "call" (not a video call). The audio quality I'm sure is degraded but not noticeably on my headphones.

Yesssss!

The only downside I've noticed is that the audio mono. Not a huge Con considering all the Pros.

P.S. Sorry if this is more suited for the F.O.H.

"Backline" and "F.O.H." are still really confusing for me since we almost never talk about live sound. I still feel like "Equipment" and "Production Tips" were much more suitable names :D