repair or replace my ps3

egan.

daylightdies.com
Dec 28, 2002
NorCal
www.daylightdies.com
Hey Dudes.
The GPU on my old fat playstation is taking a dive. I get colored lines during game play and sometimes I lose a color component during movies.
So do I just figure it's EOL and buy a new one or do I send it somewhere for repair? If so should I just send it to Sony or take a chance with one of the billion questionable online repair shops?
Your nerd knowledge and input are appreciated.

Do you have any electronic store that could repair it where you could get a quote on said reparation? I'm not the best when it comes to PS3, but as far as I'm aware of technology, repairing the whole GPU on the PS3 would cost as much (if not just a bit less) as replacing it with a brand new 160GB one ($250 here, and also depending on what your current PS3's capacity is).

There are quite some variables that could make you choose one or another; if you have one of the first generation PS3s and it costs half the price of a new machine to repair, I would suggest to buy a new one. Why? Firstly, because problems are sometimes chronic and chances are that if you repair your PS3, the problem might still make a comeback. And secondly, because like I said, depending on your current PS3's generation, you might just get a WAY better one, which would be brand new.

Although, if you don't have the money to buy a new one, but only to repair your current one, well you know what to do ;)

Hope that could help a bit (by the way I work as a sales representative in the technology department of a staples if that can make me a bit more trustworthy on this subject!).

Yeah the age and potential cost of repair are concerns. The prices I'm seeing for repair range from $100-150 and obviously a new one is $250ish. I need a new controller anyway, so really it's like a at most a $100 difference (factoring shipping) to get a newer, quieter, warrantied machine with a larger HD. I'm definitely leaning that way.
Still, I'm hoping someone who's had repairs done will chime in.