REPORT from gigs in Zlin (CZ) and Martin (SL)

momas_pl

New Metal Member
May 19, 2004
Komorów, Poland, Central Europe :))
Oh man... I’m back in Warsaw, but I still cannot return to normal world o_O . But let me start from the beginning.
Soulflypl and me left Poland early on Sunday morning. My plan was to see gig in Zlin CZ and Martin SL and soulflypl wanted to see also Plzen one.
So we arrived at Zlin around noon, found the Golem Club and met some Czech fans waiting for the band. Indeed after few minutes their coach arrived :D . We were quite excited to see the band again. But we had to wait for that moment because they were still sleeping inside. But we were lucky to meet DE and chat for a while.
There was a hotel nearby the club where we decided to stay bearing nice name Hotel Moskva (sounds familiar??? :) ).
Since we still had few hours (the gig was scheduled for 8pm) we decided to check the Golem Club facilities and spent the time playing bowling and tasting a famous Czech beer Pilsner :) .
After that we were ready for the show!!!
They played the great show. The place was not very big and too crowded so it was possible to watch the gig from different places. One could easily travel from the stage to the soundcheck or any other place.
After the gig we had a unique opportunity to chat with the band :hotjump: . So we found out that MetalMike is pretty fluent in polish :cool: , we had also the chance to hear the great story of a Tshirt, which Paul was wearing after the gig (it had a polish inscription on). And many many other great moments. One thing is sure, it was the unforgettable night, one that I will remember till the end of my days!
The next thing I remember was a phone ringing in my head. I thought what the hell is that. I didn’t quite know what was goin’ on. When I opened my eyes it turned out that I’m back in my hotel room. I picked up the ringing hotel phone. Nice lady asked me if we were going to stay for the next day because it was already past noon and so on, and so on. So we had to leave Zlin and moved to Martin.
We arrived there at about 4 p.m. on Monday, found the Kozel Pub, get acquainted with the city and Pub, had something to eat and waited for the venue.
And then about 9 p.m. it happened. We learnt about Eric who fell of the stairs and broke his leg . We were freezed. We didn’t know if it was anything serious. We only new that Steve went with Eric to the hospital. But then, after couple of minutes we were told that they would play but it would be delayed. So we waited impatiently. After an hour they came back from the hospital. Erick had his leg in plaster but he was fairly okay.
And finally the gig started. Despite this extremely unfortunate event, Chuck, Steve, Paul and MetalMike gave fuckin extraordinary show. What was so unique about it, were solos the guys played :headbang: . I’m sure soulflypl will tell you more about it. He also took dozens of excellent pictures during this show and the one before.

So that was it. After the gig we were told that it was not sure if the venue in Plzen would take place or it would be cancelled . So soulflypl decided to return to Poland with me (after the while we got the confirmation that Plzen show was cancelled).

And so I’m back trying to do my usual business :yuk: , but having in mind what happened during these two days, believe me, it is not easy.

Soulflypl will surely provide you with some more information on the gigs and hope will also tell you the story of a Polish Legions flag J.

I would like to thank once again DE, Chuck, MetalMike, Steve, Paul and Eric for this great time of my life :worship: :worship: :worship: . They R the BEST!!!

i just woke up :Spin: - well done momaspl :hotjump: - good you wrote it - honestly i am still so exhausted i just cannot concentrate, after i dropped you off i went home - tried to sleep for an hour but failed - and went straight to Exogig - which was a killer.:hotjump:

Steve&Co. couldn't believe the reception Polish fans gave them and added 5 EXTRA songs to the set :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

got pics from both Testament nights and Exo but please be patient - i am really tired, my head is like ...uff feels like 10000 bells ring inside it.o_O :Spin:

will write more very soon !

ok I will try to fill momaspl report with some more details about both gigs we witnessed.

Setlist for both shows was the same as it was for the earlier gigs on this tour – just that they didn’t play DFG on sunday (if I remember well) and surely they didn’t play BO. – couldn’t do this one without Eric.

Gig in Zlin.

The venue was pretty small for Testament (no photopit at all). Support band "Root"- to be polite - they didn’t impress us at all ;)

So we were waiting for Testament impatiently – especially wanted to know how MetalMike is gonna handle the solos (never heard him live before) and generally wanted to see how they do it in this line up with Paul almost new and MM new to the band!

When Testament hit the stage everything went clear – THEY COMPLETELY RULED THAT PLACE.

They started with DNR which turned out to be a “piece of cake” for Paul, went through Low – with Steve D crazy=awesome bass lines and the third one was Practice – a moment of truth in terms of MetalMike abilities. He went through the solo and I was just standing there with my mouth open exactly the same way as I did when I saw SS for the first time. Seems Testament always chooses only the best guys for this job!

I just wanna say – this guy is a perfect fit for the band – and a real stage animal!!! Go and see him with Testament – it is an order!!!

But here we come to the next surprise – Eric LEAD work!! Don’t remember exactly how many lead parts he played but it was definitely more then one or two solos he usually used to do!! And he was of course PERFECT at it!!!

What can I write about Chuck and SdG acting? Well – you just can’t convince me there is anybody better in metal world on their “positions” – we are talking about best metal singer and best metal bass player. Period.

Paul? Tight and perfect performance as well – but what else would you expect from him?

Guys – you know I am not objective on this – were are talking about my favourite band – but believe me – that was worth seing – and it was just a “normal gig” ….. unlike the next one ….

Gig in Martin. Monday.

You already know what shit happened before the gig, but they decided to repeat the history (1999 – Switzerland) and play it without Eric with respect to their fans who came there.

The venue … when I came down that “fuckin’ stairs” :erk: and saw it for the first time I thought – well – cool rehearsal room – now where is the proper stage!!?? o_O Walter said they didn’t play in that kind of places for like 16 years. That was a really small one – but actually that made the night even more special – imagine this atmosphere when your band is playing and you can almost touch them as the do it! Great contact beetwen the band and the audience – plus Slovakian fans were really going crazy!

Now about the band … they knew they had to make it 200% coz Eric was not with them ... and that is exactly what they did!!! They came down that “fuckin’ stairs” :erk: and won the public just from the beginning – after DNR and Low Chuck said “Hey” and introduced Metal Mike who talked in Polish to the audience (our languages are very similar) – started with “Witajcie bracia” (welcome brothers) and the crowd was theirs. He explained the situation and they played Practice – dedicated to Eric.

How did they played? Metal Mike working as Eddie van Halen – in fact he was so fast it seemed he played two guitars :hotjump: - but as he said after the show – “there was a time I realized I am going REALLY fast but then I thought – hey - what the hell - on the drums I got a guy who used to play in Slayer – he will manage easily” :headbang:

SdG – trying to fill for Eric he was playing sth I will never forget – seemed like a continous solo - his fingers running so fast up and down his fretless he used most of the time … I am still thrilled I could see it from the range of 30 cm sometimes.

And then we are coming to the end of those gig ... DFG and DotW to play only and Chuck with a big simle on his face starts to introduce the band members….

“This is Paul Bostaph!!” crowd goes nuts – and Chuck says ... “Paul drum solo please”!!! …and Paul nails a solo!

“Now here we got Stevie DiGiorgio” – and a crowd goes “solo” “solo” …and we get a great solo from Hippie!

“On the lead guitar – Mike Chlasciak (pretty well pronaunced by the way :Spin: ) – of corz we get a crazy and mega fast solo from Mike.

Then Chuck tried to quickly introduce himslef but the crowd demanded a solo from him!! …and we got it! – Chuck played with the crowd for a while and we got the rest of the set -

DFG and Disciples – while Polish Legions flag – on demand of Metal Mike - happily hanged from his amplifier!! Plus as the show ended he and Chuck presented it to the crowd which totally made my&momaspl day and made Slovakian fans a bit surprised coz they weren’t prepared that well – just one guy brought a goat's skull :Spin:

The night to be remembered – but still I am sad when I think about the reason it went that way!

Finishing this looong story wanted to say BIG THANX to everybody in the band&the crew who made it possible and who let me&momaspl fell the way we did for those two days!

THANK YOU!