[Request] Opeth like Superior Drummer 2.0 preset

Damphire

Aug 8, 2008
Hi, I've been playing around with SD 2.0 for a while and I have created my own presets but I'm still not satisfied. I've seen the presets posted here and some of them are nice but they have that death metal heavily compressed kind of sound. My band plays mid tempo doom/death so I wonder if anyone can share a preset that'll be more adequate to this style, or if you like, that recreates Opeth's drum sound.

I'll accept some advices on how to get that sound too :) ... but please don't say "with real drums"... I can't afford that :-(

Thanks in advance.

I've found that the actual tools you are using can make a big difference. Using a different EQ and Compressor can really, really change the sound even on very similar settings. Try using a Transient designer to shape the sound if you are reluctant to use too much Compression. Instead of EQ boosts on OH's for example, use an Exciter.

I've seen the presets posted here and some of them are nice but they have that death metal heavily compressed kind of sound

;-)

I'm looking for a more "open", doom metal preset. Thanks anyway.

Ah well, spamming that link might make more people add their presets. ;)

You should upload a sample of your drums though. I'm not really sure what the difference between doomy and deathy drums are.
Opeth has a entire new drumsound now too. Watershed has incredibly nice sounding drums imo, but they're completely different to the older albums. So which album were you thinking about?

Some general tips:
Try to add alot of the amb mics that might make it more "open". Reverb perhaps? I like parallel compression on drums, it makes the cymbals and everything else more powerfull. I use alot of lowpass and highpass filters to make everything have its own spot. Compression is a thing I only use on snares and the subkick mic. I dont really like it on anything else, cymbals get that pumping sound which I find very annoying, parallel comp to the rescue!
The settings I usually start with for a compressor are: attack 20, rel 80, ratio 4:1.

hello everybody!!!

I'm in shearch for superior drummer presets ( metal - black-death ) i try again and again to find the good presets for me but i am not satisfied. I read that someone here had post his presets, but i don't know how to see it on the site (sorry for my poor english)

if someone can help me please, thank you, thank you very much =)

;-)

I'm looking for a more "open", doom metal preset. Thanks anyway.

Honestly, the stock SD2 settings when you first open it up aren't a bad starting point for big, open drums at all. Watershed sounds like there's some parallel compression going on there, too.

hehe, this thread was OLD XD

Anyway, answering Zyno... the thread with presets is here

Answering Exocaster.... yep, Now I use SD 2.1 with some eq and replacements

Answering Exocaster.... yep, Now I use SD 2.1 with some eq and replacements

Sounds about right. I'd hit the bus with a comp and just tamper with stuff until I got the tone there. Thankfully Opeth stuff in general is pretty heavily "real kit in a room" sounding.

I think the trick is to pick Avatar preset, keep it if possible almost untouched and working with the reverb impulses (i think beamsonic and acustica m7(is that the name??) ones are really cool) and let parallel compression doing the rest. If we are talking about watershed.

P.s. i just can't stand superior kick ..