Rerecording Songs

Edd037

Dec 5, 2010
Two of my other favourite bands (Symphony X and Seventh Wonder) both recorded their debut albums with different singers like Redemption did. In my oppinion, the debut album of all three bands is nowhere near up to the standard of the following albums (partly due to a different singer, partly due to production).

However, both SX and SW have rerecorded a song from their debut album with their long term singers and massively improved them, suggesting that the songs themselves are still good songs. (Masquerade '98 and In the Blink of an Eye).

What do people feel about Redemption rerecording a song from the self titled album as a bonus track for the next album? (I know some of you will say you would rather hear new material, but I'm only talking about a bonus track here.)

Also, which song would you like to hear rerecorded. For me its got to be Nocturnal, having heard how much better it sounds live with Ray on vocals.

At one point, I had asked Nick the same thing. His response was, though the album is part of the Redemption catalogue overall, he's just as comfortable with it fading into the sunset, with the exception of Noctural still being in the set. So, though its a good idea, I wouldn't hold your breath.

I would say it's Window To Space. I still love the song as when I heard it the first time and it's among my favorite songs generally. Most of people whom I managed to turn into redemption, liked this song the most as well. It's a song that I clearly would like to hear live and perhaps re-recorded.. though it isn't bad in original version. Only the vocals are too down.. I love Rick but all vocals are mixed too down in the album,, so maybe a better mix with Alder this time.

Here's the quote from Dreamtheaterforums.org:

nvandyk said:
Regarding the first record, I think it's so far from the rest of our catalog in terms of the approach to songwriting, performance and everything else...I'm content to let it recede into the distance. I like Ray's performance of Nocturnal on the live CD; I suppose it is conceivable we could pull out part of Something Wicked (probably an instrumental section) in a concert one day. I don't anticipate going back to re-record it...it's more like Symphony X's first one than it is like When Dream And Day Unite, for example.