Songs from Symphony X's debut album... with Russell singing?

Which song from the s/t album would you most want to hear rerecorded with Russ?

• The Raging Season

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Premonition

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Absinthe and Rue

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Shades of Grey

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Taunting the Notorious

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rapture or Pain

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Thorns of Sorrow

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • A Lesson Before Dying

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
Nov 20, 2006
Chicago
I know the band originally planned on rerecording the debut album with Russ on vocals, but later decided against it in favor of compiling new material (which I completely understand). However, would it not be cool to hear some of the songs as bonus tracks (like Masquerade '98) on upcoming releases? I only ask because I find the music in the songs to be as good as the music from Damnation Game, but Rod's vocals kill it for me.

If you had to pick a song from the s/t album to be rerecorded with Russ on vocals, which song would it be?

Taunting the Notorious comes next for me. The vocals slay, and the guitar/bass solos are awesome.

I also love the instrumental part in A Lesson Before Dying (it starts at around 6:37), including that jazzy guitar solo at 7:21 which is absolutely cool.

Absinthe and Rue or A Lesson before Dying. I also love the guitar solo in Shades of Grey but I don't think the whole song should be re recorded.

"Premonition". For not only what Russ could do with it; but I'd also like to see how Pinnella would expand on clearly his best piano piece from that record.
That's my pick as well. It's one of the better songs of the album from a purely musical point of view, and it's in that semi-balladesque style that Symphony X with Russ are almost unsurpassable at.

They should record them all again, to learn about themselves and their real own sound, that's different from Paradise Lost crap.

They should record them all again, to learn about themselves and their real own sound, that's different from Paradise Lost crap.

Yeah, I agree: they should totally re-record an extremely immature album with compositions that are lacking in depth, design, and performance. Hell yeah! It's always better because it's less refined! :rolleyes:

I was just listening to this album the other day...it's really sad. Rod Tyler sounds constipated on "Masquerade". However, what's great is to hear moments that would be used in later (much more successful) songs:

The verse melody to "The Raging Season" is almost exact to the vocal melody in "Orion". Also, the key shift from the intro to the verse of "Masquerade" is akin to a part of "The Odyssey".

A Lesson Before Dying is the best song on the album...would kick serious ass if played live...they should just play the whole album live at whatever show they want and record it. That would satisfy all of everyone's needs.. Thats what DT did for WDADU and that was very nice...