Just got Symphony X's first two albums!

Aug 12, 2003
Norway
www.myspace.com
I ordered "Symphony X" and "The Damnation Game" about a week ago, and today they arrived! All I can say is: WOW!! I'm listening to The Damnation Game right now, and it totally rules! I even liked Rod Tyler's vocals on the debut, although he pales compared to Russell. With these two albums, I finally have all Symphony X albums on CD, and I couldn't be more happy! :)

i only have odyssey, V, and live on the edge of forever, .. next will be divine wings and twilight.. damnation will come after that.. and self titled.. i prolly wont get.. i dunno.. just didnt like it.

shred faster said:
I listen to the first album the most. I love it a lot. I love Damnation game as well. I love the first 3 albums better then the newest 3.

Wow really?? Well, I think I'm one of the few people here that think The Odyssey is their best. I've steered clear of the self-titled because of it's lack of Russell, but I certainly love both Damnation Game and Dinine Wings...do you really like the first album the best??

I love The Damnation Game and don't understand why some fans don't like it saying it's lacking compared to TDWOT and what came after. Maybe it's because I got into the band not long after TDWOT was released and I'm somewhat of an older fan, who knows?

I love the Damnation Game a lot as well. I think the title track is one of the best songs that they have written. I love the first album a lot. The first few times I thought it was just ok, but it grows on you. The one I probably liked the least which I still do love is odyssey. It just seemed like they were push to be heavy rather then be melodic except for the title track of course which is awesome. I like the heaviness of TDWOT better. It sounded more like pantera riffs. Still a great album though.

The Metal Chick said:
:lol: Too bad I have no idea what Rod Tyler looks like
RodConnections.jpg

I agree that at first Damnation Game may seem like two epics within an album of underdeveloped neoclassical excursions, and I did think of it that way for a while...but repated listenings reveal a band discovering their muse, and I've gained appreciation for it.

Demonspell said:
I agree that at first Damnation Game may seem like two epics within an album of underdeveloped neoclassical excursions, and I did think of it that way for a while...

I'm in the same boat; i owned V, DWOT, and TiO before i even considered buying "Damnation Game." My friends bought it first and said that it was just as good as the other albums. I found it for relatively cheap and even though i really enjoy 'Edge of Forever' and the title track, i think "underdeveloped neoclassical excursions" is a good way to summarize my feelings for the rest of the album. I certainly haven't counted the cd out, and hopefully i'll appreciate it more and more w/repeated listenings.

I don't really like the first album that much. The only really good songs on it are The Raging Season, Premonition, and Masquerade. Absinthe and Rue is alright, so is A Lesson Before Dying. Shades of Grey SUCKS. Not even Russ could save that song, its so horrible.

lmfao @ that chick has no breasts. I dun give a damn what a singer looks like as long as he can vocally deliver, and imo rods voice doesnt do it for me, no disrespect to him, but it just doesn't. So this is why I cannot listen to the first album, it makes my ears bleed almost literally.

Self titled is most apparent that the whole band was not in stride yet and still trying to find their feet, which i think happened with divine wings of tragedy. The albums just get better as the band matures. Granted lyrically, with the exception of a few songs (awakenings, odyssey), V was better than the odyssey. But the instrumental, vocal and production quality with the odyssey is their most superior effort yet.