Research

THE RESEARCHER

New Metal Member
Jun 7, 2003
Hello everyone.

I am a student of Anthropology and a fellow headbanger as well. A am working on an Etnography on headbangers, specially focused on studying how the sub-genres of metal interact amongst themselves. If you'd like to help, just answer the essay below.

I'll be profoundly grateful if you take your time and give it your best shot. I intent to show those sissies at my class that the Heavy Metal culture is a rich and very interesting one, so help me out here!

Thank you very much!

Part 1 – General Knowledge about Heavy Metal

- what does heavy metal mean to you?
- how did you get to know heavy metal? How old were you then?
- with what sub-genre(s) (power metal, black metal etc) do you identify with the most at the moment?
- how did you get to know this/those sub-genre(s)?
- what does this sub-genre mean to you musically and in terms of ideology?
- what other sub-genres do you know? What do you feel towards them? Please list and state your opinions. Is there any band that you despise? Which one(s) and why?
- did you ever identify yourself more with other sub-genres? If yes, what were them? Why did you change?
- do you dislike being labeled in any form (headbanger, metalhead etc)? Why?
- for you, what identifies a true metal person?
- for you, what identifies a false metal person?
- how do you feel towards new metal? Please explain why.

Part 2 – Personal data

- how old are you?
- what is your gender?
- how far did you go in schhol? (some college, high school etc)
- where do you live? With whom?
- do you believe in God? Is an adept of any religion? Why?
- do you, or have you at any time, let your hair grow? Why? If you haven’t, would you like to? Why?
- do you suffer any kind of preconceiving? If you do, please explain.
- how do your parents and neighbours act before your musical preferences?
- do you prefer to have quick or long lasting relationships with the opposite sex?
- how many long lasting relationships have you had? How much time did they last on average?
- do you have a girlfriend/boyfriend? How did you get to know her/him?
- have you ever had sexual intercourse? How old were you when your first experience happened?
- what are your entertainment habits? Any hobbies?
- in what places are you usually found (shopping centers, home, concerts etc)? Which places do you refrain from visiting?
- do you watch TV? What do you usually watch on TV?
- do you listen to the radio regularly?
- with what kind of people do you identify yourself? What kind do you dislike or despise?
- what do you eat in general? Do you often eat what you’d like to eat?
- when you have money, how do you spend it? What do you buy?
- if you had an unlimited ammount of money but could only use it for buying ONE thing, what would you buy? Ignore resell value.
- do you smoke or drink alcoholic substances? Have you ever tried any drugs? Do you use drugs?
- do you play any instruments? Which ones?
- are you in a band? What is your band’s style? What’s its name?

thank you very much for your time!

THE RESEARCHER said:
Sure you can Beth. Everyone can.

Attention people, if you want to send me the answers via e-mail, use this one: ragewings@hotmail.com

Thank you Beth. Are those tattoos yours? Nice ones. :)
No problem--it'll be fun :D
And yes, that is my back. Thanks to you too.
See how much metal is in my life? :p

I will send this to you soon...what's an etnography??

*edit* Errr, why is copy&paste NOT working with Word?

Heavy Metal is music, and the most interesting music out there.
When I was around twelve years old I started listening to the mainstream heavy metal bands such as Slipknot and Korn, among others.
- with what sub-genre(s) (power metal, black metal etc) do you identify with the most at the moment?
Death Metal, usually of the melodic variety. I find it to be much more emotional and connecting than the cheese that is found in Power and Black metal.
A friend of mine recommended that I listened to In Flames, and later I got into Opeth and At the Gates.
Death Metal isn't just playing fast and loud, it's playing with a certain feel and sound that can be hard to explain. You don't know exactly what it is, it just is.
- what other sub-genres do you know? What do you feel towards them?
I know black metal, power metal, and thrash metal pretty well. I'm not a fan of the two formers at all. I can stand the vocals and the cheesiness of the lyrics in those two. I do like thrash metal though, and it is probably the biggest sub-genre.
-Please list and state your opinions. Is there any band that you despise? Which one(s) and why?
Cradle of Filth. They're responsible for many of the misconsceptions of underground metal, and they just don't make good music at all. Their fans are also usually morons who think they're cool because they listen to a band that's considered underground.
- did you ever identify yourself more with other sub-genres? If yes, what were them? Why did you change?
I used to identify myself more with thrash metal and progressive metal, mostly because I didn't like the more extreme vocals at first. But once I grew to love the emotion that death growls can give off and the complexity of some of the music, I was sold on the genre.
I dislike the preconceived notion that many people have about metal (death metal in particular) being nothing but noise and that all the people that listen to it are angst-ridden teenagers and morons.
Someone who loves the music and doesn't care what everyone around them thinks about it and them. Someone who realizes that in the end it's not about the innumerable sub-genres and cliques and realizes that it's about making the best music in the world.
A person who feels the need to gloat about how underground they are and hate any band that becomes popular.
I like it, I think that some of it can definitely be good music, and without it I wouldn't be listening to the music that I listen to today.

Part 2 – Personal data

- how old are you?
- what is your gender?
Male
I am still in high school, going in to my sophomore year.
I live in Denver, Colorado with my parents.
I believe that there may be some sort of supreme being. I don't follow any religion, although I am baptised in the Catholic religion.
- do you, or have you at any time, let your hair grow? Why? If you haven’t, would you like to? Why?
I let it grow down to my ears and eyebrows around. I might like to grow it longer at some point in mine, but I have naturally curly hair once it gets too long so it wouldn't look too good.
Not really me personally, I don't really 'look' the part.
My parents are okay with some of the softer stuff, my dad appreciates the technical aspects of the music. Overall though, I'm sure that while they don't like it, they're glad that I show a lot of interest in it.
- do you prefer to have quick or long lasting relationships with the opposite sex?
Depends on the person. Overall though I'd say shorter (3-6 months).
- how many long lasting relationships have you had? How much time did they last on average?
I've only had one that lasted fairly long, but then again, I'm in high school. It lasted 7 months.
Not currently, no.
- have you ever had sexual intercourse? How old were you when your first experience happened?
No.
I love to play basketball, although I'm not very good at it. I also play videogames fairly frequently.
- in what places are you usually found (shopping centers, home, concerts etc)? Which places do you refrain from visiting?
I'm usually found either at home or just walking around with my friends or hanging out at their homes. I go to the movie theaters often and I go to concerts fairly often as well. I don't really refrain from going anywhere.
I watch some stuff, usually comedies and cartoons. I watch The Simpsons, South Park, Conan O'Brien, David Letterman, Dave Chapelle, and King of the Hill.
Only when I'm in the car.
- with what kind of people do you identify yourself? What kind do you dislike or despise?
I identify myself with anyone that's cool to hang out with. I don't really like to judge groups of people or cliques, I just go from person to person.
I eat typical American food, chicken, pork chops, hamburgers. I usually eat my normal foods once a week or so.
I buy CD's and videogames normally, along with concert tickets when a band I like is in town.
- if you had an unlimited ammount of money but could only use it for buying ONE thing, what would you buy? Ignore resell value.
I would probably buy CD's. Music is my life, it can keep me entertained forever and I never get tired of it since there is just so much to listen to.
- do you smoke or drink alcoholic substances? Have you ever tried any drugs? Do you use drugs?
I drink alcoholic beverages, I've never used any other drugs.
I play the guitar, electric primarily.
I'm not in a band currently, although me and a few friends have been thinking about forming a Death Metal/Goth Rock style band.

Beth said:
Thank you :)

To the new guy: where do you live? just asking because I noticed your spelling of "neighbor"

I am actually from Brazil. :)

On your previous question, I don't know if I should answer what genres I listen to, as it could affect how people respond to the essay. So I'll PM you instead ok? That, of course, as soon as you fill it and send it to me as well. :D

MasterOLightning said:
Interesting. I'll fill this out. I think I'm a lot different than anyone else who'll answer this. I'm interested to see what the results will be.

Please do so!

A: one of the few things in life that are not meaningless.
A: i read about heavy metal in a magazine about ''pc games''. i was 12 when i got my first album.
A: death metal (especially gothenburg death), progressive metal, thrash and some black ( immortal, dissection, emperor)
A: i was never keen on the classic heavy metal bands. i started with 'in flames', and with various researches and investigations i found the bands of my taste.
A: i don't limit myself with only some sub-genres. musically, the bands i listen to should be creative, so i'll enjoy listening to their music. i listen to metal to feed my inner self, to understand and question my mood. if i need ideology, i go and read some sci-fi :)
- what other sub-genres do you know? What do you feel towards them?
A: there are so many... if a band's music means something to me, then genre is not that important.
-Please list and state your opinions. Is there any band that you despise? Which one(s) and why?
A: i despise the bands who lack musical abilities, that is songwriting and playing skills. eg. manowar
i also despise the bands who sell their souls. stupid materialists, your money will be gone, but music is immortal. eg. metallica, in flames
A: no
A: yes, i'm not just what i listen to. i can't be the same with another guy who listens to death metal. i always hated being categorized.
A: these are hollow concepts. are there any criterions that you should adapt to to listen to good music?
A: do you mean nu-metal? i don't listen to music made for building trends and making big, big money.
on the other hand, great works always appear thanks to many wonderful underground bands, who don't have commercial worries.

Part 2 – Personal data

- how old are you?
A:16
- what is your gender?
A: male
A: i'm in high school.
A: in the capitol of turkey, with my family
A: i'm atheist. even if there is god, it is not a flawless being. i hate religions with a passion.
A: i don't care about my appearance.
A: yes. there are too much morons around me, who can't think, so assimilates what they hear. my family sometimes obstruct my development, because of their hollow beliefs and fear of me turning into some kind of psycho
A: they ''seem'' to ignore, but i know they hate it.
A: i prefer not to have any
A: none yet
A: i don't. i have a few friends, people generally run away from me :lol:
A: not yet
A: science, sci-fi, some movies
A: home. i refrain from being in crowded places.
A: i don't
A: i dislike and despise everybody except rebels, anarchists, or even normal citizens with their ''OWN THOUGHTS''. people should think, not assimiliate.
A: i eat just to survive. i don't like any food.
i buy CD's, electronic devices, books, materials needed for my experiments.
A: i don't know. i'd have a grand plan then, i guess.
A:no
A: unfortunately not

hope i was helpful :)

THE RESEARCHER said:
I am actually from Brazil. :)

On your previous question, I don't know if I should answer what genres I listen to, as it could affect how people respond to the essay. So I'll PM you instead ok? That, of course, as soon as you fill it and send it to me as well. :D

:lol: okay, fair enough

Metal means the world to me, it fulfills every musical need I have- from highly technical to simple yet emotional, it covers everything. I just love the sound and, well, yeah...... it fills my musical and emotional appetites.
I started out in 1987 with Def Leppard, when I was 9. They were always on the TV and radio then and I really liked them (still do, their old stuff anyway ;)). Gradually progressed over the years to heavier stuff (Sepultura, Metallica), then on to the underground bands
Doom metal. I like many genres of metal, but doom is the one that really means something to me.
I bought a magazine (Metal Maniacs) because it had an interview with a death metal band I liked (Obituary), and I was bored so read the entire mag, and it had an interview with My Dying Bride, and I thought the description of their music was really interesting (and had never heard of Doom metal), so I went to the shop and bought one of their albums, loved it and then found the names of some other doom bands to check out.
hmmm, difficult to put into words. Doom just has a major impact on me- I was at university studying classical music when I discovered Doom, when I got into doom I knew I was wasting my time with classical music, and doom was what I wanted to be playing, it's one of the reasons I ended up dropping out. I love the emotion in it (though I don't find it depressing, I find it uplifting because it's so beautiful), I love the melodic guitar approach, the whole atmosphere that a good band is able to generate.
- what other sub-genres do you know? What do you feel towards them? Please list and state your opinions. Is there any band that you despise? Which one(s) and why?
Black Metal- I like it alot, I like the atmosphere of it and there is often some really great guitar playing, which I appreciate, being a guitarist myself.
Death Metal- I love it. Different countries have different styles though, each one appeals to me in different ways. American bands tend to be more technical, with lots of riffs crammed in a song, maybe less emotional than other countries. If I want something that I can think "Gee, that's an awesome riff", or just to bang my head to, then it'll be american death metal. English metal tends to be more chordy and thicker sounding, I adore bands such as Bolt Thrower and Napalm Death, less technical and more melodic than american death. Swedish/european death metal is what I'll listen to if I want a really awesome melody mixed with brutality.
Goth metal- alot of this I tend to lump in with doom, much of it is very similar. I like it.
Heavy metal- Iron Maiden rule, simple as that ;)
ummm, can't think of any other solidly defined sub-genres right now ;)
Well, I was into what I guess gets termed as "80's metal" like Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Skid Row etc when I was younger. I still like that stuff, but don't listen to it much, no other reason than I've just moved on. I was also right into death metal (still am), doom just had more of an impact on me so now I'm a doomer ;)
No, I don't care. I don't define myself based on the views of others.

Someone who claims to like it just because it's popular (which applies to many aspects of life ;))
Nu metal? The stuff that I have heard I dislike. I find the music is overly simplistic, boring and repetitive, and the lyrics are dumb. If a Nu Metal band wrote music that I liked, I would listen to it, I don't avoid Nu metal just because it's nu metal, or because it's popular, but I would be less inclined to check out a band I had never heard if I knew they were Nu metal, simply because I know what to generally expect form that genre.

Part 2 – Personal data

- how old are you?
- what is your gender?
male
attended university for 2 and a half years, as well as another (year long) course after that. I have dimploma's in Music and Computer Programming.
I live in a suburb of Wellington, capital city of New Zealand, with my parents.
I am open to the possibility of there being a god, but I do not believe in one, nor follow any type of religion. I have seen no proof of there being a god, so see no reason to believe.
I've had long hair, in various forms, for about 12 years, fully grown out for the last 6 or so. My hair is annoyingly curly when short, so wanted to grow it out so it would be straighter, and also because it looks metal ;)
None that I notice.
They are fine with it, my father thinks the growling and stuff is a bit silly (which it is, to be honest ;)), but he appreciates the musical ability of many of the bands I listen to.
I have no experiance in that area, but would prefer long term
none
nope
no
listening to music, playing guitar, wargames (Warhammer 40,000), Ultimate Metal forums ;)
At home mostly, I dislike being around lots of people. If I do go out, it's to visit the comic store, CD store, and Wargame store ;)
The only place I deliberately avoid going is to the movies (I have an anxeity disorder, the movies for some reason really gets to me)
Yeah. Crime shows like CSI, sci-fi like Star Trek, Buffy.
Not music radio, generally sports radio, and talk radio dealing with current events
I like people that are quiet, easy going, funny, I will avoid people that are loud, self absorbed, or generally nasty to others
Pretty regular stuff, dinner is usually meat with a few different vegetables (living with parents helps to get decent meals ;)). I eat pie for lunch alot :D I'm pretty boring really, if I find something I like I'll eat it regularly (I always have the same fillings in rolls, for example)
My money gets spent on CDs, models for wargames, comics, computer books, the occassional Playstation game. I tend to try and save a bit too.
A recording studio
I don't drink (had about 2 mouthfulls of beer my entire life), and have never done drugs. Mind altering substances hold no interest for me.
I play guitar, played classical for about 10 years, now only electric guitar for about the last 5 years
not in a band, but do write music, and want to form one. I write Doom metal (see sig ;))