Research

Part 1 – General Knowledge about Heavy Metal

- what does heavy metal mean to you? Everything I need it
- how did you get to know heavy metal? How old were you then?Well Heavy metal in England is very rare unpopular. i would say i got into metal with bands like maiden as they released a single and i thought it was amazing so it went on from there i think i was 14-15
- with what sub-genre(s) (power metal, black metal etc) do you identify with the most at the moment?Well i'd say i'm a mellodic metal kid:D as Nightwish are my favourite band but i also do like a lot of black metal and heavy metal. I cant say i'm a fan of doom as i just find it a bit slow and boring.
- how did you get to know this/those sub-genre(s)? Internet
- what does this sub-genre mean to you musically and in terms of ideology?Well musically i think its a really pure form of music , and its probally the most positive form of music , have you heard powerquest!
- what other sub-genres do you know? What do you feel towards them? Please list and state your opinions. Is there any band that you despise? Which one(s) and why?
well pretty much all of them the others guys said
Black - its very good if done correctly
Heavy - Classic head banging stuff love it
Prog - very good as i love keyboards and they feature heavily in prog
Power - my favourite and i love the song structures of power metal and great mellodys
Mellodic - simalar to power in a way great melodys and not just down tuned guitar playing 2 chords
Stoner - really boring not my thing
Gothic - Its good if done correctly like HIM , Setentanced etc
Nu - i guess it got me into metal but i cant really stand it any more , but i respect bands like linkin park as they are pretty honest even if i dont like there music
- did you ever identify yourself more with other sub-genres? If yes, what were them? Why did you change? in a way yeah i into the more gothic scene as i was just really experimenting and because i havnt heard of mellodic metal :D
- do you dislike being labeled in any form (headbanger, metalhead etc)? Why? Well no i'm proud to like what i like
- for you, what identifies a true metal person? Someone who genuinly loves metal its that simple
- for you, what identifies a false metal person? Someone who follows the crowd likes the band because they fancy the lead singer etc
- how do you feel towards new metal? Please explain why. A load of great new bands come out shame none of them from the usa and uk!

Part 2 – Personal data

- how old are you?17
- what is your gender?M
- how far did you go in schhol? (some college, high school etc)still at college
- where do you live? With whom? father , mother , sister
- do you believe in God? Is an adept of any religion? Why?No i think religion is evil
- do you, or have you at any time, let your hair grow? Why? If you haven’t, would you like to? Why? yeah i am now because i just think it looks cool
- do you suffer any kind of preconceiving? If you do, please explain. not really no
- how do your parents and neighbours act before your musical preferences? Hate it , to be honest i'm not fussed they hate the idea of me playing guitar but i also play keyboards so they think i like classical or somthing
- do you prefer to have quick or long lasting relationships with the opposite sex? Relationship
- how many long lasting relationships have you had? How much time did they last on average?1
- do you have a girlfriend/boyfriend? How did you get to know her/him? just around really
- have you ever had sexual intercourse? How old were you when your first experience happened?Nope
- what are your entertainment habits? Any hobbies?Skateboarding (dont mock!) Keyboards , drinking , going out etc
- in what places are you usually found (shopping centers, home, concerts etc)? Which places do you refrain from visiting? Everywhere really i refuse to go to the beach tho
- do you watch TV? What do you usually watch on TV? nope
- do you listen to the radio regularly?nope
- with what kind of people do you identify yourself? What kind do you dislike or despise? good people just genuine people who wont stab you in the back when they fucking found someone else
- what do you eat in general? Do you often eat what you’d like to eat? yeh i eat a lot then i eat nothing so i dont get fat . i like salmon prawns steak stuff like that
- when you have money, how do you spend it? What do you buy?Cd's and as going out money
- if you had an unlimited ammount of money but could only use it for buying ONE thing, what would you buy? Ignore resell value.Cd's!
- do you smoke or drink alcoholic substances? Have you ever tried any drugs? Do you use drugs? Drink never touched drugs
- do you play any instruments? Which ones? Keyboards umm barely guitar
- are you in a band? What is your band’s style? What’s its name? Kinda in a comedy rap band just a little bit of fun :D

- what does heavy metal mean to you?
everything, could live without it
- how did you get to know heavy metal? How old were you then?
I saw a metallica live video when I was 11
- with what sub-genre(s) (power metal, black metal etc) do you identify with the most at the moment?
Deathmetal and gothic
- how did you get to know this/those sub-genre(s)?
Downloading
- what other sub-genres do you know? What do you feel towards them? Please list and state your opinions. Is there any band that you despise? Which one(s) and why?
I know a lot of different styles.. I like most of them except for stoner and nu-metal
- did you ever identify yourself more with other sub-genres? If yes, what were them? Why did you change?
I was totally into blackmetal, but I got bored with it I think..
- do you dislike being labeled in any form (headbanger, metalhead etc)? Why?
no
- for you, what identifies a false metal person?
someone with a linkin park shirt
- how do you feel towards new metal? Please explain why.
Kill em all! no solo's in their songs and they rap most of there lyrics

Part 2 – Personal data

- how old are you?
- what is your gender?
Male
- how far did you go in schhol? (some college, high school etc)
I'm going to a university next year
- where do you live? With whom?
Mom, Dad
- do you, or have you at any time, let your hair grow? Why? If you haven’t, would you like to? Why?
I have long hair. looks cooler when you bang your head
- how do your parents and neighbours act before your musical preferences?
neighbours hate it, my dad likes it and my mom can live with it
- do you prefer to have quick or long lasting relationships with the opposite sex?
long lasting
- do you have a girlfriend/boyfriend? How did you get to know her/him?
yes, I met her at a concert
- what are your entertainment habits? Any hobbies?
Playing guitar is 80% of my day
- in what places are you usually found (shopping centers, home, concerts etc)? Which places do you refrain from visiting?
I'm usually at home, at bandpratice or at at my g/f place
- do you watch TV? What do you usually watch on TV?
DVDs from bands
- do you listen to the radio regularly?
nope
- when you have money, how do you spend it? What do you buy?
More guitars and amps: Jackson RR1 and a ESP KH-2
- if you had an unlimited ammount of money but could only use it for buying ONE thing, what would you buy? Ignore resell value.
Custom Jackson RR1
- do you smoke or drink alcoholic substances? Have you ever tried any drugs? Do you use drugs?
no drugs, I drink beer
- do you play any instruments? Which ones?
Guitar, I used to play keyboards
- are you in a band? What is your band’s style? What’s its name?
yes, Trash/Deathmetal, Shape Shifter

_Zsuzsa_ said:
and in hungarian :rolleyes:

hehe, but anyway, it would be good and appreciated If you'd translate it to english so not only 1 or 2 ppl could read it....

hey Zsuzsa

it may be harder to translate it, and it might take some time, but I can try... today I'm gonna present my progress to my teacher and the class, and from the help I've gotten from you people, it's gonna rock.

I'll even show Emperor's "The Loss and Curse of Reverence" video there, and Cradle's uncut "From the Cradle to Enslave".

damn it's gonna be fun. :lol:

Chokehold said:
BTW: I was 12 when I heard Amorphis...

And that was the time you saw black cluods on the sky and the devil himself appeard to you and said: "Holy child, this is some good shit"

:lol:

Besides, Its late, Im tired, and want to go to sleep, so researcher, maybe tomorrow Ill fill your questions with my answeres, but for now... Goodnight everybody

"For me, metal is life. It's where you do what you want to, do you own thing, and let everyone else do their own thing. If others are doing the same 'thing' as you are, you get togethere and do it together".

"It's was UM for me, when I accidentally saw "Gamma Ray". Oh, thanks!! I was 13 then."

- with what sub-genre(s) (power metal, black metal etc) do you identify with the most at the moment?
"Powermetal"

"Through Gamma Ray, communities and my profound interest."

- what does this sub-genre mean to you musically and in terms of ideology?
"Powermetal just makes me feel happy. I write and sing about the things I want to, the music is cheerful (lol!! :p) and I can always headbang/drum/sing to it. It's really fulfilling"

"I'm mostly a powermetal freak. I do like some progressive, but I'm not aware about it too much. I don't despise anything at all, I just like what I listen to, and let the world like what they to like".

- did you ever identify yourself more with other sub-genres? If yes, what were them? Why did you change?
"Sub-genre? For me, metal has, is and will always be powermetal! So, no :p"

"No, I love it!"

- for you, what identifies a true metal person?
"One who enjoyes metal, and doesn't brag about how 'great' it is compared to other genres. One probably shouldn't see the need to compare with other genres if already into metal. I say, why bother? ;) Just my opinion here.

"Nothing. Every one into metal is true, and if he's not completely into metal... he's not really a "metal person" now, is he? So my answer would be - "there is no such thing as false metal person, and if there was, I still wouldn't bother"" :p

"New metal meaning new metal bands emerging or the mainstream nu-metal. For the former (new bands playing metal), I completely support it - we need people into metal, playing metal as well. As for nu-metal, I dont like it, so I don't bother about it. I hardly know anything about it, so I let it be, as I fly free in my own powermetal world".

Part 2 – Personal data

- how old are you?
"15"
- what is your gender?
"Male"
"Still in high school"
"I live in Kathmandu, Nepal... with my entire family."
- do you believe in God? Is an adept of any religion? Why?
"I believe in selfmade reality, and that anything AT ALL is possible, and that we are capable of so much more - including achieving anything we want."
-do you, or have you at any time, let your hair grow? Why? If you haven’t, would you like to? Why? "Yes, in fact, i have. That would be right now. I always had short hair as a child. I wanted to experiment with my hair and so I grew it long - loving it :d"
- do you suffer any kind of preconceiving? If you do, please explain."Huh?"
- how do your parents and neighbours act before your musical preferences? "All don't like it, but I don't think they have anything against it. My parenst sure don't, don't know about the neighbours. Maybe they dont like my drumming ;) lol"
- do you prefer to have quick or long lasting relationships with the opposite sex? "Long lasting ofcourse, and relationships where you enjoy the company of another more than just 'doing what you're supposed to'.
- how many long lasting relationships have you had? How much time did they last on average? "None. None romantically. Call me a geek, but I enjoy the company of my friends (even though they're not metal)."
- do you have a girlfriend/boyfriend? How did you get to know her/him? "Not romantically, no. But I have a few close friends who are girls. :D lol does that count""
- have you ever had sexual intercourse? How old were you when your first experience happened? "No."
- what are your entertainment habits? Any hobbies? "I like drumming, powermetal, guitars, writing/reading humour and seem to have a craze about email clients. Right now, I love Eudora 6!"
- in what places are you usually found (shopping centers, home, concerts etc)? Which places do you refrain from visiting? "School... sheesh, not exactly my idea of fun lol. Else, home I'd imagine".
- do you watch TV? What do you usually watch on TV? "I like the old Full House series, and other comedy sitcoms. I love cartoons, and watch whenever they're on lol! :D"
- do you listen to the radio regularly? "No, i dont. No metal there"
- with what kind of people do you identify yourself? What kind do you dislike or despise? "What kind of people? Well, cheerful ones, ofcourse"
- what do you eat in general? Do you often eat what you’d like to eat? "lol food, believe me, it's food. did i mention food?"
- when you have money, how do you spend it? What do you buy? "Though I like to save, I normally just spend it on CDs or a new gadget - a metronome, an mp3 player etc."
- if you had an unlimited ammount of money but could only use it for buying ONE thing, what would you buy? Ignore resell value. "The universe"
- do you smoke or drink alcoholic substances? Have you ever tried any drugs? Do you use drugs? "No, No and NO!"
- do you play any instruments? Which ones? "I play the drums, guitars, bit of bass and my mouth (vocals). lol"
- are you in a band? What is your band’s style? What’s its name? "I have my powermetal soloproject Atlantis. I play melodic powermetal. Visit http://www.metalprovider.com/atlantis for more info."

lol wow, this was long... and fun! ;)

art 1 – General Knowledge about Heavy Metal

Loud Guitars, Shredding and FUcking Good Times

13, Pantera - Far Beyond Driven

Melodic Death

Children Of Bodom

Loud Guitars, Shredding, Fast Drums

Nu Metal

Yeah, all the time and i didn't change.

Doesn't bother me.

Someone who enjoys Metal Music...funnily enough.

Who the fuck cares, if they are paying for the CDs.

If its good, i buy it, iif not, not.

Part 2 – Personal data

- how old are you?

- what is your gender?

Male

Highschool (currently)

Scotland, Home, Parents

Yeah, he plays Guitar and plays in Children Of Bodom

- do you, or have you at any time, let your hair grow? Why? If you haven’t, would you like to? Why?

Yes, i have long hair

- do you suffer any kind of preconceiving? If you do, please explain.

.....:erk:

What????

Parents- Encourage it, Neighbours- Old Decrepid, cant hear it

- do you prefer to have quick or long lasting relationships with the opposite sex?

Long

- how many long lasting relationships have you had? How much time did they last on average?

2, 2years

No

- have you ever had sexual intercourse? How old were you when your first experience happened?

Yes, 15

Guitar

- in what places are you usually found (shopping centers, home, concerts etc)? Which places do you refrain from visiting?

Home. Cause di live in a village/

No

No

- with what kind of people do you identify yourself? What kind do you dislike or despise?

I Despise Scottish People.

- what do you eat in general? Do you often eat what you’d like to eat?

Food

New Guitar

- if you had an unlimited ammount of money but could only use it for buying ONE thing, what would you buy? Ignore resell value.

HandMade BC rich Warlock

- do you smoke or drink alcoholic substances? Have you ever tried any drugs? Do you use drugs?

No, never.

Guitar, Bass, Drums, Bit of Keybaord

No.

It means alot. its an art form, its a way to release aggression. Its a way of life.
It started at the age of 9 with metallica's black album and since then it's blossomed into something completely different.
Bodom-metal
i had some extra cash and on a whim i picked up hatebreeder at the local cd shop
musically its an amazing thing. its just so full of life and energy. ideological....be young, have fun, ROCK ON!!
i know many other sub-genres of metal and ill try and make this as easy to follow as possible. power-entertaining but often cheesy, black-meh, death-not really, symphonic-sometimes entertaining but really cheesy, thrash-depends on the band, speed-depends, metalcore-sometimes, and the list goes on. I
dont "despise" any music per se, more the people and reasons behind the music. any band who will purposely change their sound and reverse their beliefs to make some cash.
nope, cant say i really have.
I dont like headbanger, that just has a degrading, and Neanderthalic meaning behind it. Metalhead I'm ok with....i really hate being labeled as a goth.
someone whos in it for the music, not the scene, not the beating the shit out of people at shows, etc
see above
its horrible. talentless, repetitive, unoriginal, moneymaking garbage.
Part 2 – Personal data

- how old are you?
- what is your gender?
male
im currently a second semester sophmore in college
at the moment, a residence hall at Westfield State College. my home is in Randolph, MA with my parents and siblings
nope. I went to a catholic highschool and it turned me away from religion as a whole. Im a realist.
The longest i've had it was shoulder length, but im slowly growing it out again. I want long hair because id like to hide the rest of my features behind my hair.
-Do you suffer any kind of preconceiving? If you do, please explain.
huh???
they dislike it, but they know that there is no changing it
long lasting
- how many long lasting relationships have you had? How much time did they last on average?
ive had one relationship which has lasted on and off for 3 years or so
you could say that. i met her through mutual friends
- have you ever had sexual intercourse? How old were you when your first experience happened?
yes. about 17-18
Music, guitar, school, friends, movies, computers,
I can be found in my dorm room, sometimes roaming around to where-ever i end up. i try to stay away from the mall, those people scare me
when im real bored yeah. i watch cartoon network and comedy central
nope
- with what kind of people do you identify yourself? What kind do you dislike or despise?
i associate myself with anyone except goths. i dont like the idea of being different but in a group of people that are different in the same way. I dont actually label myself as anything. im just me. im not a metalhead, im not a punk, im not a prep, im not anything. im myself. call me what you will, but i know who i truly am.
I eat shit. shit food, but i dont eat often. i just eat shit so im still fat.
cds, dvd's, and other stupid shit. i spend way too much of it thats for sure
id buy a company of some sort, make some cash off that, and have some fun.
i smoke butts too much and drink rarely
i attempt at both the clarinet and guitar
no....but i wish i was

Part 1:

it means everything, it defines who i am
i got a hold of my aunt's Motley Crue Decade of Decadence cd...i was around 14-15 i guess
i cant identify with just one...the human mind is very complex thing with lots of different emotions; i need all styles to satisfy me
ive gotten to know every genre through the internet, forums like this, and listening to new bands
- what other sub-genres do you know? What do you feel towards them?
i know folk metal, power, black, death, progressive, gothic, pretty much all of them. i love them all. each offers something different; thats what allows me to never get bored with metal.
Please list and state your opinions. Is there any band that you despise? Which one(s) and why?
Limp Bizkit and other nu-metal bands. They just make terrible, simple music. Fred Durst is not an artist. If he spend as much time doing music as he does trashing other artists, maybe the band wouldn't be so bad. As for nu-metal. It's just cheesy radio friendly music bands make to get famous and make some money. If nu-metal bands could just spend some time writing music that isn't all power chords they would have something to work with.
I identify with all genres. I switched about 5 times since starting this survey. It mainly depends on my mood. If im down ill listen to some black or gothic mainly. If im in a great mood ill listen to anything and everything.
i hate being labeled satanic. listen to metal doesn't make me a devil worshiper. im a Christian too, so I get the "why do you listen to metal" deal.
a person that appreciates and respects the various forms of metal. they don't have to like it; but putting it down isn't right considering it's just their opinion.
a person that listens to the music because its the rebelious thing to do. other people take the music seriously and false metal people are an insult to the people who genuinly live for the music.
some it is catchy. but in the end its just simple, radio friendly music made to make a buck.

Part 2 – Personal data

- how old are you?
- what is your gender?
male
still in college
home/parents - moving out in summer.
Yes. People have their beliefs, this is mine.
I haven't. But I would like to do it just to see what I look like with long hair.
no
they dont like the music, but they dont give me crap about it
long
two - 11 and 10 months
no
yes - 18
cars, computers, music
home, concerts, with friends;
yes, comedies, history channel, discovery, rarely some reality
only in the car when a cd isnt spinning
people with interests similar to mine. its just easier to be around you have things in common with. i dislike fake people; liars
whatever my mom cooks haha; unless im at work, then i get some subway or something
my mustang. or new computer stuff.
cars! classics and exotics!
i dont smoke. i drink rarely, just when im around it. i have smoked marijuana before. i dont use drugs.
no, but a guitar is in the near future
no

- heavy metal is just music to me. Music is a feeling, but not only heavy metal, because I listen to other genres as well. I listen to hardcore/punk, hard rock, AOR, etc. Music means a lot to me because it's my favourite hobby.

- It was 5 years ago, I think (sooo... 17-5=12). Wow!!! I started listening to Maiden and Metallica when I was 12 o_O

- I think with Black Metal and Metalcore.

- I got to them by myself. Downloading new songs and, after that, buying them :D

- I think ideology and music don't have to go together. When music is put into an ideology or a social conflict it loses power. Music has to be done for the sensation, for the elation, for the ecstasy and for the feeling of doing it.

- I do listen to a lot of sub-genres, to all of them, I think, with a few exceptions like Nu Metal (that shouldn't be called Metal) or Rap Metal and shits like that. I love them all, except for the exceptions =)

- I had an only-thrash-and-hardcore-music era. I guess I was depressed while it lasted. But it doesn't mean I got depressed by the music. I sometimes need some screams to get the depressions out of my head.

- Yes, I don't like being fit in a label, because I don't feel confortable in any of them.

- There is no true metal person except for myself.

- I know, my trveness tells it to me.

- I don't like it, I get sick while listening to nu metal crap. It should be erased from earth.

Part 2 – Personal data

- how old are you?

- what is your gender?
- Male, I guess :D

- High School by far.

- In my house, with my mother and my sister.

- I certainly don't. I think religion is good, but religions are bad. I don't believe in God because I can't believe many things from reality, so... how can I believe in supra-terrenal things?

- I'm growing it. I have always have it very short, but I am growing it because I like it, but only a bit, I won't grow as much as Matthew Barlow (ex-Iced Earth) for example :p

- I don't understand.

- My mother doesn't like it, she hardly ever listens to music.

- I have only had one, and it's still alive. I hope it will last until I die.

- I have had none at all, before having this one.

- TO have a relationship I need to have a girlfriend, I guess (just kidding :D ). I do have a girlfriend. I knew her in my school.

- No, I haven't had one yet.

- Music, reading, writing.

- I'm always at home, in my girlfriends house or in freak places. I never go to anywhere it could look whimp to me.

- I only watch the news.

- No, I don't. Only Internet Radios (www.rothmetal.com)

- With my girlfriend. I despise almost everybody else.

- Anything my mom puts in my dish.

- I never have money.

- I would buy a government.

- I don't smoke, nor drink, nor take drugs.

- I play acoustic guitar and keyboards.

- Yeah, I have a cover band called "Burger Kings Of Metal" and I want to build a Black Metal band.

Here it goes, man.

NP: Dropkick Murphys - Caps And Bottles

@afi
Dropkick?!?!?! theyve sucked since Al Barr (sp?) joined the band. too bad they were cool shit back in the day. i miss seeing them for like $5 at the local VFW or whatnot......but ill give you credit for it nonetheless :lol:

dilema1362 said:
@afi
Dropkick?!?!?! theyve sucked since Al Barr (sp?) joined the band. too bad they were cool shit back in the day. i miss seeing them for like $5 at the local VFW or whatnot......but ill give you credit for it nonetheless :lol:
I like them with Al Barr and without him. Although The Gang's All Here is quite plain CD, Sing Loud Sing Proud is a very good one, I like it a lot, and the live cd is very good shit. I didn't enjoy Blackout, indeed. I like his voice! and I like the folkish thing around their music.

Barroom Hero forever!!! :D

NP: Angel Dust - The Disbeliever