Research

THE RESEARCHER

New Metal Member
Jun 7, 2003
Hello everyone.

I am a student of Anthropology and a fellow headbanger as well. A am working on an Etnography on headbangers, specially focused on studying how the sub-genres of metal interact amongst themselves. If you'd like to help, just answer the essay below.

I'll be profoundly grateful if you take your time and give it your best shot. I intent to show those sissies at my class that the Heavy Metal culture is a rich and very interesting one, so help me out here!

Thank you very much!

Part 1 – General Knowledge about Heavy Metal

- what does heavy metal mean to you?
- how did you get to know heavy metal? How old were you then?
- with what sub-genre(s) (power metal, black metal etc) do you identify with the most at the moment?
- how did you get to know this/those sub-genre(s)?
- what does this sub-genre mean to you musically and in terms of ideology?
- what other sub-genres do you know? What do you feel towards them? Please list and state your opinions. Is there any band that you despise? Which one(s) and why?
- did you ever identify yourself more with other sub-genres? If yes, what were them? Why did you change?
- do you dislike being labeled in any form (headbanger, metalhead etc)? Why?
- for you, what identifies a true metal person?
- for you, what identifies a false metal person?
- how do you feel towards new metal? Please explain why.

Part 2 – Personal data

- how old are you?
- what is your gender?
- how far did you go in schhol? (some college, high school etc)
- where do you live? With whom?
- do you believe in God? Is an adept of any religion? Why?
- do you, or have you at any time, let your hair grow? Why? If you haven’t, would you like to? Why?
- do you suffer any kind of preconceiving? If you do, please explain.
- how do your parents and neighbours act before your musical preferences?
- do you prefer to have quick or long lasting relationships with the opposite sex?
- how many long lasting relationships have you had? How much time did they last on average?
- do you have a girlfriend/boyfriend? How did you get to know her/him?
- have you ever had sexual intercourse? How old were you when your first experience happened?
- what are your entertainment habits? Any hobbies?
- in what places are you usually found (shopping centers, home, concerts etc)? Which places do you refrain from visiting?
- do you watch TV? What do you usually watch on TV?
- do you listen to the radio regularly?
- with what kind of people do you identify yourself? What kind do you dislike or despise?
- what do you eat in general? Do you often eat what you’d like to eat?
- when you have money, how do you spend it? What do you buy?
- if you had an unlimited ammount of money but could only use it for buying ONE thing, what would you buy? Ignore resell value.
- do you smoke or drink alcoholic substances? Have you ever tried any drugs? Do you use drugs?
- do you play any instruments? Which ones?
- are you in a band? What is your band’s style? What’s its name?

thank you very much for your time!

Ok, I'll give it a try...

It's a part of my life, I listen to metal every day.
I gotta thank my brother for this, when I was just a little kid, he listened to old metal (Deep Purple, Rainbow etc.). I was about 5 years old or younger.
- with what sub-genre(s) (power metal, black metal etc) do you identify with the most at the moment?
A tie between prog and power metal
Heard from the radio or from friends
I like power and prog 'cause those styles have a lot of influences from classical music
- what other sub-genres do you know? What do you feel towards them? Please list and state your opinions. Is there any band that you despise? Which one(s) and why?
I like almost all genres of metal. It's difficult to say why I like one band more than another, it's just the special feeling I get while listening to the music.
I can't say that I despise any bands, I may not like them, but that's it.
- did you ever identify yourself more with other sub-genres? If yes, what were them? Why did you change?
Not really, I've always been into power metal
No, 'cause I am a metalhead :)
It's difficult to say, I guess they know it best themselves
I'd say if the person likes metal, 'cause some of her/his friends like it too, or 'cause it's "trendy" at the moment
Don't really like it, nor hate it

Part 2 – Personal data

- how old are you?
- what is your gender?
Female
College
Tampere, Finland. I live with my husband and our daughter
I'm a christian, but I don't really believe in God
- do you, or have you at any time, let your hair grow? Why? If you haven’t, would you like to? Why?
I've had long hair for almost all my life
No
They're just fine with it
- do you prefer to have quick or long lasting relationships with the opposite sex?
As a married woman, I must say long lasting :)
- how many long lasting relationships have you had? How much time did they last on average?
3 long lasting ones and a couple of shorter. Average about 4-5 months
I have a husband. We met on a blind-date :D
- have you ever had sexual intercourse? How old were you when your first experience happened?
My first time was when I was 15
Playing with our daughter takes most of my free time. I sing a lot and sometimes I design clothes
- in what places are you usually found (shopping centers, home, concerts etc)? Which places do you refrain from visiting?
At home or at a park. I do go to concerts whenever there's an interesting one
I watch comedies and documentaries about history or nature
Very rarely
- with what kind of people do you identify yourself? What kind do you dislike or despise?
Mostly other metalheads or parents. I don't despise any certain kind of group of people
Home made food, really healthy stuff, but I do slip sometimes
I buy clothes or fabrics, but most of my money goes to cds (besides food)
- if you had an unlimited ammount of money but could only use it for buying ONE thing, what would you buy? Ignore resell value.
A bigger house from a more peaceful area
- do you smoke or drink alcoholic substances? Have you ever tried any drugs? Do you use drugs?
I smoke and sometimes drink alcohol. I've never tried drugs
I can't play any instruments, but I sing
I'm not in a band, but I was just recently singing some backing vocals for my friends' new demo.

Hope I could help you :wave:

Music is music, its about as important as any other serious musical genre out there, i just take particualar intrest in it.

i got to know it from the internet... i was 14 starting off with Limp Bizkit...then progressing to better bands

melodic death metal, or particular bands like slipknot

the internet

focusing on Slipknot for this, all theirsongs have a sort of energy of agression through them... im yet to hear a band that can do that as well as that, although they arent death metal or really metal, i still consider them heavy

i dont like black metal,bands in particular that try to be pro-nazi or anti christian, or bands with annoying medevil acts such as Tsjuder

i listen to whatever i like and what sounds good

i am what i am, i dont dress like a metaller, atall, i dress more trendy, so i dont get labeled, but i dont dress so i cant get labelled, i like the way i dress

someone who can like other catagories (including numetal), and still like the heavier bands or whatever intrests them, without caring what other people think

trying to be a hardcore nerd

i like most of the bands in this.. some have some real good potential, im not complaining about it...

Part 2 – Personal data

- how old are you?

- what is your gender?
male

in the middle of doing 4 years worth of college in computers

with my family, one house with my dad, the other with my mum

im a strong believer in god, i just dont practise my religion outside that which is roman catholic. i dont do this for a reason really, i just cant be bothered going to church and living the way they want me too.

i like short hair cuts... i keep my hair short because i hate messy long hair personally

eh? sorry, im a spastic ;)

they dont like it, infact they hate it and put it down constantly thinking i care

havent had one :( but i would prefere a relation ship that meant somthing

meh

meh

computers, ju jitsu

found: in my room
refrain: no where really

sometimes, i just flick through channels

no

smicks, the trendy ones who listen to rave, and give other people shitfor liking different music... i hate them

i eat often enough, i like a wide range of things i guess, prefereably things like pizza or kebabs

i spend it on going out with my friends

i would have to think about it, but it would probably be for something that would benefit mroe than just me

i despise drugs and only drink alcohol

no, but im planning on buying a bass

not in one

:)

- what does heavy metal mean to you? almost my life, everything i can identify myself t
- how did you get to know heavy metal? How old were you then? by friends, i was 13
- with what sub-genre(s) (power metal, black metal etc) do you identify with the most at the moment? melodik, black
- how did you get to know this/those sub-genre(s)? internet, friends
- what does this sub-genre mean to you musically and in terms of ideology? black metal reflect a world no one wanna see but that is just true and real.
- what other sub-genres do you know? What do you feel towards them? i like almost all metal expect poser metal, like limp bizkit or slipnot
Please list and state your opinions. Is there any band that you despise? Which one(s) and why? those who make musik ONLY for cash, or that arent true(not the true shit) whit themselves like cradle of filth
- did you ever identify yourself more with other sub-genres? If yes, what were them? Why did you change? when iw as younger i listened to shitty musik
- do you dislike being labeled in any form (headbanger, metalhead etc)? Why? i dont care how i am labelled
- for you, what identifies a true metal person? the reason why he listen metal
the reason why he listen metal
- how do you feel towards new metal? Please explain why. lot of cool emerging bands, some suck and try to mix to much subgenre, like disco metal :lol:

Part 2 – Personal data

- how old are you? 14
- what is your gender? male
- how far did you go in schhol? (some college, high school etc) er im only 14 grade 9
- where do you live? With whom? quebec,canada, my father
- do you believe in God? Is an adept of any religion? Why? i believe in god, my father is a preacher
- do you, or have you at any time, let your hair grow? Why? If you haven’t, would you like to? Why? my hair are in my back, i grow ,em since im 13
- do you suffer any kind of preconceiving? If you do, please explain. some people think im gay(cuz of make up) or stupid, or that i am a vampire or some shit
- how do your parents and neighbours act before your musical preferences? they think i suck.. my father respect this, he even lov some cool bands
- do you prefer to have quick or long lasting relationships with the opposite sex? long
- how many long lasting relationships have you had? How much time did they last on average? i wont answer this
- do you have a girlfriend/boyfriend? How did you get to know her/him? no
- have you ever had sexual intercourse? How old were you when your first experience happened? im still a little kid heh
- what are your entertainment habits? Any hobbies? music, rollerskating, music in general, been whit pals
- in what places are you usually found (shopping centers, home, concerts etc)? Which places do you refrain from visiting? home
- do you watch TV? What do you usually watch on TV? no
- do you listen to the radio regularly? no
- with what kind of people do you identify yourself? What kind do you dislike or despise? metalhead.. i hate peopel who think they're cool
- what do you eat in general? Do you often eat what you’d like to eat? i eat everything
- when you have money, how do you spend it? What do you buy? disk
- if you had an unlimited ammount of money but could only use it for buying ONE thing, what would you buy? Ignore resell value. the best bass there is
- do you smoke or drink alcoholic substances? Have you ever tried any drugs? Do you use drugs? i dont drink or smoke, i had tried drugs
- do you play any instruments? Which ones? not yet
- are you in a band? What is your band’s style? What’s its name? so name now, i sing and will (soon) play the bass

Let's see:

It's a part of my life. Actually a very big part :D It means many things for me, fun, hobby, lifestyle, fellow metaller friends etc...

I was around 13-14, and my brother introduced me into metal. He listened to Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Sentenced, Iced Earth etc.. all the time so it was inevitable for me to be infected with the metal disease :)

Folk/black/viking and heavy metal.

I started with heavy metal and I became a folk metal fan after I first heard Finntroll.

You mean If I dwell into the deeper thoughts of the music? Well, not really. I'm just listening to it, tho it's just a little addition that viking metal is mostly anti-christian and I am a pagan myself...

power metal - I like this genre too
death metal - like it also
black metal - I'm not really into it, (into pure BM like Darkthrone or Immortal) but I do not despise it
nu metal - okay, this is the one I despise...
progressive metal - this one I'm really unfamiliar with (only heard a few Pain of Salvation and Dream T. songs, but not my cup of tea)
heavy metal - as I said, I like it
doom metal - I like a few doom bands like Lake of Tears, but nothing more
atmospheric metal - heh, like Amorphis. it's a great genre :D (dunno if it's aleary invented or not hehe)
extreme metal - I read somewhere about this genre, some say Bodom's music is extreme metal...well, dunno
melodic death metal - it's more likely CoB, Im into this stuff
gothenburg death metal - oh yeah, In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy, great stuff
thrash metal - Im just getting introduced to this genre by my friend, Dew-Scented oh yeah !:headbang:
folk/black metal - my favorite genre obviously
viking metal - the other great one
ehh, cant think of more now...

Yeah, I was mostly into just the power and heavy stuff a year and a half ago. I just changed cause I found them too "nice" after a time, I needed some br00talism :D So I ended up good with the folk/black stuff :)

Not at all, actually I am proud of it.

To be metal in the heart.

Those who declare how big metallers they are just to show off

Not into it. I find it ridicilous.

Part 2 – Personal data

- how old are you?

- what is your gender?

Female.

I'm just finishing high school.

In Hungary, Kecskemét with my Mom and my dog & cat :)

Nope, or at least not in the god of the christians. I believe in myself, and the power within me. But I don't have a problem with believers, they have the right to be narrow-minded of course ;)

Yeah, my hair grew pretty long now and why? Hm, I had short hair two years ago and now I just think it suits me better. Headbanging with short hair is a miserable sight :D

Yeah sometimes, becase of my looks. I usually dress in all black, I have a nose piercing and once in a while dumb ppl think that I am some kind of idiotic satan worshipper...

My Mom finds it only a noise and only like a few slow ballads. My neighbours doesn't care too much, and I don't care about them either.

I'd like to have a long term relationship but alas, only experienced the quick ones (1-2 months...my longest was 6 month)

As I said, I didn't have a really long relationship this far. My longest was 6 month.

Nope.

Never had any. Well, Mom bought me some books about sex but never bothered myself reading them. I lost it when I was 17.

Reading books, my comp (games, forums), writing stuff, movies, going out with friends

Usually at home, or with friends in pubs

Rarely, but If I do I watch saturday night films, some good talk shows and the news.

I used to, but not nowdays.

I identify myself with those who are on the same level as me, with metallers, with those whom I can talk about whatever I want. I dislike lame, rude and intolerant ppl.

I usually eat what I find in the fridge :D And that's not always what I want heh. I like spaghetti, sandwiches, pizza, hamburger (so all the unhealthy ones haha)

CD's, concert tickets, cigarette or some new clothes (but that's rare hihi)

uuuuuuuuuuuuuh - hard question...but I think it'd be a plane ticket to visit every kewl places on earth

I smoke and drink alcohol and I tried weed a few times. But nothing synthetic crap and that I will never try.

I do, on keyboards. But just started it a month ago.

Not yet, but I'm planning to get into one. I'd mostly associate myself with the folk/viking stuff and the name would be Heretic ;)

- Heavy Metal is my life. It helps me relax.
- I began to listen to it when in school when i was not accepted by any other groups the metalheads were the nicest people around. They took me in their group and I started listening to their music and i enjoyed it. I was very young at the time.
- I mainly listen to True Norweigen Black Metal however I enjoy all types except for mainstream trash that is made to please the masses
- Friends and the internet
- A different type of a genres... as in metal you have (power death black thrash etc.) they all have their own sound
- I know black which is extreme and not intended for young people AT ALL. Very extreme and some is violent.. When listening a person has to keep in mind that it is music and is not to be taken literally. One band I hate in the black metal genere is Burzum. The band is the man Varg Vikerness and he took music WAY TOO seriously to the point of killing his best friend and harassing many people through the mail. He is a sick and twisted person whom I hate with all the fiber of my being. This is the kind of person who gives metal a bad name.
- I have tryed many different types. I enjoyed normal heavy metal but then wanted something more heavy so i went to death... then few years later wanted something that had my rhythem so i want to black metal
- I dont mind unless your prejudging me because I am metalhead headbanger whatever u want to call it.
- Because of the way I feel dress and my attitude twoards life which is I dont care what u think.
- A person whom dresses in spikes and leather to get attention
- I hate it because it is ALL music produced on a high level budget and made to please masses of people rather than made for enjoyment... Thats whats so shitty about it.
Part 2 – Personal data

- I am 22 years of age
- I am male
- I am a college student going for a degree of network administration
- I live at home with my parents however once i finish college and get my job with my degree i will move out..... right now i cant afford it
- Right now religion is a very touchy subject with me with all the christian vs Islam.. I am starting to belive that mabye the cause for all of the violence in the world today is caused by religion. Look at the cursades for example.... and look at the islamic fath today it seems like the crusades is almost ready to restart... which is why i may soon give up ALL religion soon.
- I grew my hair once when i was in high school hehe i mainly did it because i liked the idea of something new.... I had never grown my hair before and I knew a few people who had long ahir so i said eh what the hell.... grew my hair but after about a year og having it long i chopped it off because it was too much of a hassle to keep it long with all the washingand brushing.... SHIT i like my hair fairly short because when its clean sometimes i can wake up and not even have to comb it because it falls right into place :)
- No not at all...
- They hate my music but they know me well and love me :) because im a good person
- Yes
- I had 1 and it lasted about 1 year
- MYOB :p
- No Im a virgen :)
- I enjoy going out with my friends and watching movies with em and drinking with them occationally :)
- I go everywhere dood..... but I stay away from immoral places like strip clubs
- Yes I watch TV.... I normally watch CNN to see whats goin on in the world :)
- no all the radio plays is mainstream garbage
- If they are nice I dont mind being friends with them everyone like that is cool in my book... however people that are mean.... fuck em all
- I love Italian and Seafood and who can go wrong with a good beer :)
- Right now I dont spend alot I use my money to save for my classes in college
- I would buy security (knowing that i would be stable for the rest of my life) sorry dunno if this answers the question hehehe :)
- When I was in high school i tried drugs but once high school was over I stopped.... and I drink in moderation...
- used to play guitar but no more time and i cant even play anymore because well.... no practice in 3 years hurts hahahaha
- noop i aint in a band :) I was in high school was a black metal band played lots of shows and one local festavel... did black metal vocals and drank LOTS of water ahahahaha :)

- your very welcome my mate ANYTIME :)

Hi...I will try to help you...here are my answers:

it means a lot for me! the second thing after my girlfriend...

My friend 've shown me some Iron Maiden and Pantera. it was hmm...in 1995.

power/melodic/black/death metal

I got lots of new groups to listen...and so slowly I am here now...in melodic stuff which I love!

it means a lot...I cannot even imagine my days without music...especially melodic metal....it becomes really a big part in my life...

melodic-death metal : love this one
power melodic metal : my second best genre
heavy metal : I can stand it
nu-metal: hate this crap!
black metal : its great...but not the best for me...

yep...I listened just to heavy metal genres at the beginning...but just because I was new in metal and didnt know lots of bands...

absolutelly not! I always wanted to be...and that people see I am a big fan of metal...the true metalhead!! with lots of headbanging...

hmm...some people say..."you're not a metalhead if you dont have long hair"...agree with this just that...its all in your heart! the true metalhead has metal is his HEART!

I can say I quickly see the "fake" metalhead...I just see his behaviour, he wanna be the number one there...and he thinks that if he smoke a cigar and listen to nu-metal that he is a metal head or smth...I hate that kinda people!

new metal? nah....not interesting...

Part 2 – Personal data

- how old are you?

- what is your gender?
Male

studying at college (physics)

I live in Zirje, Slovenia...with my parents...

god? don't mention it please....hate that shitty crap! all is just a lie!

I have long hair for three years now...till three years ago I always had short hair, almost bald...I like people with long hair...especially girls:p and I will leave my hair to grow as much they can...somewhere down to my ass:D

yep...sometimes I am worried about my look....its not good I know...but this is harder then me...its ruining my self-confidence...

hmm...will tell you the truth; I dont fucking care...

I prefer long lasting relationships. I always look for long lasting relationships...hate the adventures or that kinda relationships...

I just have one true...it lasted two years...

yes I have a girfriend. she is a metalhead...we felt in love very quickly...after few dates...we have lots in common...both are true metalheads...:)

yep I had :cool: I was 18...

weather photography, web design, listening to metal music...chatting a lot in deep intimate discussion with a girl of course...

home...and some concerts with friends...I refrain of places full of crowd...

don't watch TV at all...lot of time in front of PC...

not at all...just to CDs I have...

hmm...really kind, amusing, trusting...from time to time crazy...I hate insidious and lying people!

I dont eat a lot...most of it I eat things I prepare myself...I love to eat pizza, but its not good for health...so I avoid it sometimes...

I buy some great CDs...or buy something what I really wanted to have for a long time...but I am always out of money unfortunatelly...

oh...will take my girl with me...and visit all extreme places on Earth...

I don't smoke...not even drink any alcohol...nop, I didnt try any drugs...never won't, I can say that!

yep...I am learning drums...

don't have a band yet...but probably will have it someday...style will be melodic/death metal....hmm....the name...huh...my friend dreamed about this name: Child's Flame :heh:

It's music, obviously, but it's a bit more than that. It's a social class, it's a way of life. If you're a metalhead, you hang out with metalheads, you do "metalheady" things: go to gigs, play an instrument, listen to metal. Eg. Being a teenie bopper is a social class and a way of life, etc., etc.

A friend introduced me to some Children of Bodom and I was hooked. I was 15 when I started listening to metal.

Melodic death metal for ever! \m/

From listening to Children of Bodom and hearing people who like CoB talk about similar bands. Eg. NortheR, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Skyfire, etc.

I believe it is one of the most complex and powerful forms of music, aside from maybe progressive metal. It takes a lot of skill to write and play this type of metal. Well, in terms of ideology, I think it's the same sort of thing as with metal in general (The social class stuff I mentioned above). Although maybe without the satanic associations as with other types of metal. Eg. Black metal.

Other sub-genres? There are lots. I dislike traditional black and death metal, purely because of the lack of variety in the music. I don't dislike them because of their satanic influences. I very much like melodic death and symphonic black (New Dimmu Borgir, some Cradle of Filth). I respect Progressive metal immensely, because of its complexity and variety, although it isn't my favourite type of metal. Power metal is fairly good, sometimes it's nice to listen to something with a lot of catchy "happy" sounding melodies. I dislike thrash, grind, industrial and nu-metal because the guitars aren't defined enough. Sure, it may be heavy, but you can hardly tell one chord from another. Old-school metal (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ozzy etc.) I respect, because they were the founders of metal, but I don't particularly like their style of music. Metallica used to be good, but now they're shit. I never particularly liked bands like Pantera or Sepultura. I'm not actually sure why. Hmmm. What else? I quite like goth/atmospheric metal like Theatre of Tragedy, Trail of Tears, Sins of thy beloved. Contrast with female and male vocals is very nice, it creates good atmosphere. I can't really think of any other types of metal right now though.
I suppose there aren't any bands I absolutely despise. Wait, yes, there is, all the Nu-metal bands. Every single one of them. They're pretenders, all they write is filth.

Melodic death has always been my favourite.

Hell no, I'm proud to be a metalhead.

Someone who listens to metal because they like it, not because it's "Cool" (Nu-metallers). Someone who isn't ashamed of their metalness!

All the nu-metallers.

I think I explained this above. But, I suppose I could go into greater detail. They write pathetic music. It's simple, it lacks a lot of musical skill. They "pretend" to be metal. More concerned about image than music. Nothing about their music is refined. I just plain hate it.

Part 2 – Personal data

- how old are you?
I am 18 years of age.

- what is your gender?
Male

Finished high school and am now in University studying for a bachelor of Mechanical Engineering and Economics

I live in a residential college. (Pretty much a hostel for students)

No, I don't believe in God. I am a Nihilist. To sum it up, I believe that nothing anyone ever does matters because they'll die, and anyone and anything they can ever effect will end up dead or destroyed, so none of your actions matter.

Yes, it is currently growing now. I like the look of long hair, and it's cool to headbang with.

No, not particularly.

My parents don't seem to mind at all, as long as I don't have the music up too loud. A lot of my friends listen to metal as well, so they're happy I'm a metalhead.

I don't believe any of the questions about relationships has anything to do with your survey. We're here to talk about metal, not relationships. Therefore, I'm not going to answer those questions.

Martial arts, computers, cars, music, guitar.

Home or Uni. I despise going to dance clubs, parties and pubs.

Yes, I watch comedies regularly.

No
I hang around with a huge variety of people. Punks, christians, punk christians, metalheads, "normal" people. But, I really dislike hardcore punks, skaters, white trash homeboys, "chums and skanks" (People who get drunk and go to parties/clubs/pubs all the time and all they do is try and get laid) and teenie boppers.

Whatever I'm given usually. We get food at my student hostel. I'd like to eat asian food all the time, but alas, it's not going to happen here.

A lot of little things. A poster here, a CD here, a shirt there.

Fuck, what a hard question. A house maybe. A very nice house.

I drink alcohol, but not because it's alcohol. I like the taste. I've never been drunk and never plan on being drunk. I do smoke marijuana on some occasions.

Yes, guitar and piano/keys.

Sadly, no.

Part 1 - General Knowledge about Heavy Metal

in few words: inspiration, motivation, self-sufficiency in a way, adrenaline, and well, a way of living (if you really feel it)

about two years and a half ago, i was 16 or 17 at that time (late starter :-/)

heavy metal and power metal
though i don't really like black/death metal music, i'm beginning to like some death metal concepts; not the standard 'kill and burn' idea, but rather a cynism and disrespect for death itself, even for pain; i'm discovering pain can't control you if you can control it; and that death (your own or others') can't scare you once you stopped fearing death (again, your own or others').
i don't cut myself or any of that idiotic shit, i don't need exposure to reward myself on my discoveries.

heavy/power metal: i started listening to heavy first, then power, but i didn't really differentiate between the two while i was getting into them, so now i kind of consider heavy and power as a really tight binding (i like the Judas Priest style of heavy metal, if that clears up anything)
to concretely answer the question: through people and file sharing

heavy metal: clearly, all metal is an evolution of heavy metal (except nu metal which is an involution from horse shit)
so in one hand, i see heavy metal as the entity that holds every other metal forms inside. now about ideology: i don't like the idea of grouping bands according to what they write about, cause similar sounding bands usually write about very different stuff and it turns out to be a really inconsistent classification, but concretely, i respect the heavy metal "stand up for what you believe" attitude, the heavy metal "be yourself" attitude, and the heavy metal "all out" attitude. also, an attitude some heavy metal bands have: the "be a man" attitude (Grave Digger).

power metal: sigh... power metal as a whole is ill these days... mainly because some bands wrongly "represent" the genre, and make place to the gay battle sword stereotype... Rhapsody doesn't make bad music, but as to their lyrics, they should feel the power of the holy emerald sword alright... up their ass!
what i consider real power metal is old Helloween, Gamma Ray, Edguy, Metalium (even if it's heavier than usual), etc
one attitude in power metal that i REALLY valorate is old Helloween's way of thinking... Eagle Fly Free. enough said.
also on those lines, from the last Helloween: Wake up the Mountain. man you're studying antropology and i reckon you must have more than a reason to hate humanity... here's a few words that'll restore some of your faith: Helloween - Wake up the Mountain. look those lyrics up.

black/death metal:
ok i kind of answered this part of this question in that other question above, but anyway, here go some more thoughts on this matter: for what i understand, the usual black/death metal ideology is autodestruction and despair and negativeness. i'm the opposite, but through those values, in some way... i see coldness and cynism as a resource, something that gives real power to someone that gets the hang of it the way i see it; if you can put the limits on your own humanity at your leisure, then you can remove every other limit you had at your leisure too. that's what i mean when i say "through those values", and what i mean to achieve "through" them in some abstract way, is VIRTUE; in the end i want to be more, not more in contrast to someone else, but more in contrast to what i am supposed to be; i'll try to put all i said into a line: black/metal to me, is a strange and bittersweet source of inhumanity from which i can improve on my humanity. (fuck, i suck at writing :-D)
i'll give it a rest, but i have so much more to say on this "humanity through inhumanity" concept... you can pm me back if you're interested in what i have to say

other REAL subgenres (not "speed metal" which is basically faster power metal, and other inconsistent classifications such as that):
nu metal: i fucking hate it, i want it to die and that the stupid idiots that jump up and down to that pathethic form of modern rap, move to rap or something like that, so that they stop calling themselves "metal" and give that word back the dignity they took from it.
progressive metal (i consider this as heavier/speedier progressive rock that derivate from bands such as Rainbow and Yes): Dream Theater is good... i don't listen to many bands in this vein though... sorry, not much to say here, i'm just pushing my knowledge for metal types :p

i was heavy and power metal in my heart all along

i like headbanging and being a metalhead, and conversely i like being called a headbanger and a metalhead :)

wether they have their own deep feelings towards it or not

read above; generally, "false" metal persons are those that don't have any type of feelings towards metal. i don't care what other music they listen to. i'm not against them, though i don't like people that fantasize themselves as something they're not (ie. they can't label themselves metalheads)

i gave my piece on this one already.

Part 2 - Personal data

- how old are you?
18, 19 in two months

- what is your gender?
gentleman :)

i'm in college right now

Buenos Aires Argentina, with my parents still

dunno what i believe in anymore. i rather like the idea of being my own god from where i take confidence and peace and answers and everything i may need.
i'm supposed to be catholic cristian, but i'm no such thing in my heart.

i'm growing my hair now that i quit that stupid shit private high school; it's metal time! \m/

from others to my person? i'm gonna assume so. well, some people are dumb enough not to recognize a stereotype when they see it. almost all people look at me wierd because i dress in black, but concretely those people i mentioned, are the ones that take that a bit further and act assy on me. not all people though thankfully.

i'm sure my parents considered suicide at first, but they get along with my music now :)
my neighbours more likely considered murder (and they still do) :p

long lasting. you can't build up worlds with someone in a short time, and if you can't do that at all, it all comes as an intrascendental thing and that's really sad.

none :) the bunch of women i was with didn't stay around me more than a week on average. i'm sort of changed since the last time i got hooked up with a woman, and i believe i'm ready to settle down for a long relationship with a woman now.

technically, no, and practically, neither; at least not in any sense that's relevant to this question.

still waiting

computer related stuff (mainly games)

my computer chair in my bedroom and my university. i refrain from visiting discos and dancing clubs because i despise their atmosphere and the kind of social interaction you have there, and also most people i see there

next to no TV, but i do like Seinfeld-style comedies and movies

never at all

other metalheads, although deep down i feel i don't share many ideas with most other metalheads (that whole humanity through inhumanity idea; i think the average metalhead is all for inhumanity)

i eat a fair ballance of morally accepted crap and healthy stuff... i don't pay much attention to what i eat cause i've always been thin.

computer stuff.

i would buy endless ammounts of discographies; i would pay back to the bands what i borrowed from them through all the years: their music. i have mostly mp3s. i would definitively pay them back, with interests even.

i fucking love alcohol, i don't smoke, i never tried drugs, and well, no, i don't use any of them :)

guitar, but inconsistenly and without too much interest (not even electric guitar; some lame ass spanish guitar)

nope

thank you back for listening to this metalhead with a lot to say :)

Part 1 – General Knowledge about Heavy Metal- what does heavy metal mean to you?
it suits my life style perfectly
my dad had Judas Priest laying around and i grabbd it..i was 10
Prog, Death, Melodic, Power, Black, Thrash, Speed, Folk
this web site
intriguing sounds and awsome solos
from the above genres listed i feel the same towards all of them, there all great in anyway...Opeth is my fav band and i despise Limp Biscuit cause they havedone nothing important for music
i used to listen to alot of nu-metal..pretty much what was mtv material...:( i have found that, that music doesnt do anything for me anymore
no...its better than wigger
the music
i dont believe that looks makes you a metal person..its what you listen to
its utter garbage...no talent involved..i have yet to hear good solos and techical music from that department..its all mtv re-run garbage
Part 2 – Personal data- how old are you?
- what is your gender?
male
Graduated High School
Illinois..m parents
no..only you can decide what happends not some " god "
no..i dont like to have long hair
no
yes...well my mom at least..we just moved so my neighbors have yet to be blessed
long
2 so far this one is 9 months
yes, friends.. and common intrests
yes, 18
music, computers, movies, console games
my house and my freinds, g/f's house. church's im not fond of them cause i dont believe in god
sports ( baseball, when in season and football when in season) and Tough Crowd
no
not wiggers...if they like the smae type of music i like then thats a good thing, i hate wiggers cause there whites trying to act black.....
most of the time...tv dinners own!
on cds or food
anything to please my girl...an unhappy g/f is a no no
no to all
unfortuineitly no
no
np

THANKS FOR THE ANSWERS, FRIENDS!

I now have to save it all in a big file and put it together.

- C-Taylor
- Welly
- _Zsuzsa_
- bodomite
- child_of_bodom666
- Vidaeus
- flaminfetus

You guys rock.

Vidaeus said:
Please let us know of your results and how well you do! Maybe you can post your report once you've finished. I know I'd be very interested in reading it.

Hey Vidaeus! I'll be sure to give you guys a feedback. Since an Etnography can get pretty long (I'm working on a shorter version, of about 10 pages), I can only send it via e-mail. If you're interested, my e-mail is ragewings@hotmail.com

BUT: since I'm from Brazil, the Etnography will be in portuguese. :)